How deep are the club owners' pockets?
Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 20:20

Details over 3 pages. Assume that this is up to date as there's no date.

Sale's owner has a significant overdraft!!

Always thought Saints were owned by a family group? And the South West communications guy had a majority control at Exeter?

And for comparison/interest, ownership details for Rugby League.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: How deep are the club owners' pockets?
Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 17 May, 2020 21:02

Not sure if the Barwells have divested themselves of their majority stake at Saints? but that's probably the family you mean.

Tony Rowe behaves as if Exeter Chiefs belong to him but they are a members club. I believe he underwrote their purchase of Leeds P shares and a fair bit of the Sandy Park development at incredibly attractive rates. Depending on what you believe his generous sponsorship may or may not be the reason that Chiefs actually make a profit. I'd guess those things give him a certain sense of "ownership"?

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 08:56

My general feeling is that rugby needs a Fair play scheme so they spend what they legitimately earn but if every club did this..then that would set the English game many years compared to others and i dont think the RFU would want this at all.

This is why there appeared to be no appetite to address financial doping in the sport.

Posted by: odd-shaped vagaries (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 09:44

Quote:
John Tee
My general feeling is that rugby needs a Fair play scheme so they spend what they legitimately earn but if every club did this..then that would set the English game many years compared to others and i dont think the RFU would want this at all.
This is why there appeared to be no appetite to address financial doping in the sport.

I doubt anyone party in the gamewould want t turn away funding from wherever to whomever

The referee is the final arbitrary .. dementiaaahll!

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 11:06

And rugby, in general, as a much smaller fanbase than football, outside of certain areas. You could take the example of cricket where you get very few fans in the ground for C.C. games but in reality, millions are interested in the game.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:02

Quote:
IDLETIMES
And rugby, in general, as a much smaller fanbase than football, outside of certain areas. You could take the example of cricket where you get very few fans in the ground for C.C. games but in reality, millions are interested in the game.

Don't forget if cricket counties announced attendance figures based on season tickets (memberships) sold rather than actual gate figures as happens in football and rugby the Championship would be seen as being far better supported than it does.

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 12:10

Quote:
Yorkie
Details over 3 pages. Assume that this is up to date as there's no date.
Sale's owner has a significant overdraft!!

Always thought Saints were owned by a family group? And the South West communications guy had a majority control at Exeter?

And for comparison/interest, ownership details for Rugby League.

Bearing in mind the Quins section shows a picture of former Chief Exec Mark Evans and not the owners I wonder how accurate the rest of the article is?

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 13:50

Quote:
odd-shaped vagaries
Quote:
John Tee
My general feeling is that rugby needs a Fair play scheme so they spend what they legitimately earn but if every club did this..then that would set the English game back many years compared to others and i dont think the RFU would want this at all.

I doubt anyone party in the gamewould want t turn away funding from wherever to whomever

Well, yes, being desperate for money they probably would but the fair play scheme should prohibit it.
You wouldn't be able to compete at the higgest level if your regulated revenue streams werent codusive to your spend but this is why i suspect that fixing these types of issues is lip service.

A wealthy benefactor able to subsidise clubs continues to be the model... which just perpetuates rising costs because one or two can and will easily afford it.
A proper regulatory body would see through this short termism and general damage it is doing. Rugby hasnt got the desire to get one, imo.

It is almost that financial disaster is needed to make the majority of clubs get this...but if you have the rich backer, then this applies less...and something for other lesser clubs to worry about.

Posted by: shendy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 May, 2020 12:50

While members of the Barwell family are majority shareholders at Saints, they don't "own" Saints - that's been the case for quite some years.
Keith Barwell doesn't have an active role any more - he and Ella Bevan (nee Barwell) are Directors. Leon Barwell was Chair but sadly passed away.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 12:01

Interesting article, wonder where the "sausage waving" comment originates from.....
[www.msn.com]

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 12:43

Somewhere westwards I'd venture.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 May, 2020 15:31

Some rugby clubs' finances were in big trouble before this lockdown. Take away their income streams and they're in deep do do.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net