Ged Glynn and David Mele Gone
Posted by: IanC (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 18:12

On a tablet so can't do the link.
Sad to see David go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2020 18:13 by IanC.

Re: Ged Glynn and David Mele Gone
Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 18:18

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 18:38

Not surprised GED has followed Simon Cohen out of the door fairly rapidly

Posted by: GT1 (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 18:53

Our clean sweep brush still has some bristles left then!!

Posted by: RushdenTiger (KT at work) (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:12

Feel sorry for David Mele.

I met him once. A really nice bloke who clearly loves Tigers.

Can't comment on his coaching abilities.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:30

Good grief. More changes? I assume replacements will be coming?

Date: 22 May, 2020 19:36

I doubt a replacement would be required for GG, (or did I miss the sarcasm smiley?!)
Presumably the half back coaching will be subsumed into the new team, unless Borthwick has a target.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:40

I understood that GG was well suited to his current (no longer) role. Surely someone must have that responsibility at least? And I cannot believe we will not have some sort of half-back coach.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:47

Wasn't Mele pretty much our first ever Half backs coach? (Hansen was defence who did Half backs as well)
I certainly struggling to think of many., so why would it be hard to believe.

On Glynn sounds like it's being split up between Wilks, Smith and Mruphy.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:47

Wasn't Mele pretty much our first ever Half backs coach? (Hansen was defence who did Half backs as well)
I certainly struggling to think of many., so why would it be hard to believe.

On Glynn sounds like it's being split up between Wilks, Smith and Mruphy.

Posted by: Tiggs (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 19:53

No money to pay them, and not vital to the success right now. Geordan gets even more work to do, or is he actually moving down, with Borths really in charge.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/103/103_0_1529059667.jpg

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 20:11

I think there may have been other attributes to GG which would have weighed against him once his main sponsor left.
From afar I think Wilkes has had more impact on the 3 U18 titles

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 22 May, 2020 20:16

Cashflow decision imvho. And not the last either I reckon. Why not furlough them?

Tough on GG tbh and he'll not be cheap to get rid of as was at the club some time.

Wonder how Dusty has survived? (Assuming that he is still around?)

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 22 May, 2020 20:17

Let's review, and apologies if my memory is faulty, about a year ago, possibly less, GG was moved to his current role that previously hadn't existed, when McGinity was brought in to head recruitment.
Now, it's possible that there are more players being brought up to the first team because of him, but I'd rather think that's down to Geordan and necessity. I think it unlikely that the three years of U18 titles are down to his one year in his current post.

Date: 22 May, 2020 20:51

Quote:
Yorkie
Cashflow decision imvho. And not the last either I reckon. Why not furlough them?
Tough on GG tbh and he'll not be cheap to get rid of as was at the club some time.

Wonder how Dusty has survived? (Assuming that he is still around?)

RE:Furlough, depends how much they were on firstly. Also depends on other opportunities and likelihood of needing the role in future. For instance Glynn will surely be on a lot more than 30k p.a. running a department like that. So given his age he may prefer to "retire" and concentrate on stabilising his other business in the south of France as a semi-retirement job. Mele is likely to be able to pick up other jobs, and we may be forecasting a drop in revenue such that we can no longer justify a "nice to have" like a half backs & assistant academy coach. I don't know how French unemployment works for people employed abroad but given what it is for local workers it may be fairly generours.

I think Dusty is an academy scout? I may be wrong on that but typically scouts (from books on football I have read) are paid rates per matches scouted with bonuses for players signed sometimes. I would suggest it is unlikely he is on much of a full time salary.

Date: 22 May, 2020 21:03

RE: Glynn being cheap or not to get rid of:

Given we are genuinely making the role redundant he would qualify for statutory redundancy pay, which given ten years of service would equal c.8k.

Statutory redundancy pay is caped at 538 per week, he has 10 years service over age of 41, so 1.5x10x538.

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 11:44

The Academy coaching and management is still intact. We still have our chief scout, we have lost our head of performance pathway, but we do have a Director of Rugby who is no longer the senior coach so will be able to monitor the progression of young players to Premiership level. We have a head of recruitment, we seem to be pretty well staffed in the rugby management department, far more so than we have been in the past during our more successful years. It is in our clubs best interest to make sure that we are nor paying salaries for unnecessary roles, in the current circumstances some streamlining is inevitable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net