Telegraph, Manu rethink?
Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 17:19

Not spotted this on here,

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Says Manu has till Monday to reconsider leaving, no idea of its authenticity.

Its very difficult isn't it. I'd like to see him stay, but I've never thought his value to the team was reflected in his salary, too many injuries and not enough consecutive Tigers appearances to play himself into his best form.

I suspect his current big contract was finfluenced heavily by French and Sarries (enhanced) payment baselines.

Its a short career, I don't blame him for seeking what he thinks is market value, but I don't want Tigers paying him anywhere near a tenth of their playing budget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 18:01 by Jon T.

Re: Telegraph, Manu rethink?
Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 17:24

I’d love him to stay but only if he wants to be part of our future rather than just because he can’t get a job elsewhere. Sign for an extension at a lower rate would be a big statement

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 10:18

It might be a bit of both, Stopsy. he ought to feel some gratitude for the way the club has supported him through his injuries and other, ahem, issues. However no one likes having their pay cut and then he may have discovered through his agent that he is no so much in demand at such a high salary as he thought. Then there is doubt about availability for England if he goes abroad. Many agents need to bid up their clients if they are to keep them on their books. I suspect quite a few will soon be bumping back to earth.

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 11:07

We shouldn't use previous issues to guilt him into staying, that is part of the toxicity of the relationship. He repaid that as best he could through his play on the field at the time.

Allegedly he has one year left on his current deal. If he takes the 12.5% cut like the rest I wouldn't have a problem seeing that out and everyone leaving as friends next summer.

Posted by: Purebob (IP Logged)
Date: 05 July, 2020 22:24

French Rugby Press update in the last hour. Manu's staying they reckon

Quote:
Engaged in an arm wrestling with his Leicester club and announced in France in particular on the side of Stade Toulousain , center Manu Tuilagi should finally stay at the Leicester Tigers.

A salary agreement should finally be found between the two parties. Confirmation expected in the coming hours.

Donate now to Cancer research

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2020 22:27 by Purebob.

Posted by: Jon T (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 00:19

Some more (back of a fag packet) reporting by Rugby Pass.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 07:43

The Telegraph today reports Sale are talking to him

Posted by: SimW (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 07:47

Surely the only clubs he could go to would be ones where the players haven’t taken a pay cut. Morale suicide to take everyone’s pay cut and use it to fund a big name signing.

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 08:20

I only want him stay if hr want's to stay.

Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 08:22

Some interesting points in the linked article.

Quote:
According to the terms of his current contract, Tigers’ technically have the right to match any offer made to Tuilagi by another club. Whether they choose to, is another matter entirely.

So if another Prem club offered him, say, £50k then Tigers could match it? Although he's existing contract is broken? But how it was broken could make a difference? Expensive lawyers' argument there if it ever came to that?

Quote:
.......... they have not had any talks with the player. “We have had no discussions about Manu Tuilagi ............

Well the 2nd of those part sentences covers it better than the first. Player's agent?

Quote:
Toulouse are leading the French Top 14 teams’ pursuit of the Fogapoa born star. There is also a lucrative offer on the table from a Japanese Top League team

So are those offers big enough to compensate for the lack of England money and is Manu willing to give up playing for England and the Lions again?

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Date: 06 July, 2020 08:26

I wouldn't if I was him

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 08:51

Daily Mail was saying Japan was offering up to £750,000

Posted by: Parcdeprince (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 09:08

Well, it's getting a bit tedious now.
Even if he stays, we will hardly see him play, except in white - how many internationals are being arranged for the next "season"?

Suspect he will stay to end of current deal then head to Bezier if they manage to get promoted.

Date: 06 July, 2020 11:30

How would it affect team morale?. Would they welcome him back or would they see him as getting preferential treatment ?.

Posted by: Lt Pigeon (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2020 15:39

Manu is to sign with Sale Sharks - according to the Telegraph & Rugby Pass

[www.rugbypass.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net