Leicester will ‘overcome’ Manu Tuilagi departure
Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 29 July, 2020 17:20

Steve Borthwick has pledged Leicester Tigers will “adapt and overcome” after losing star England centre Manu Tuilagi to Sale Sharks.

I really hope so Steve, because it seems like there's a mountain to climb both on the pitch and off it.

Re: Leicester will ‘overcome’ Manu Tuilagi departure
Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 12:58

We haven't had Manu available for a long time on a regular basis, I don't think missing him was the sole cause for our current position, one man neither makes nor breaks a team on the pitch. Yes we will miss seeing him in a Tigers shirt and it will be as uncomfortable as it was seeing Lewis Moody in in a Barf shirt, but we will get over it.

Posted by: Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 13:09

The mountain would've stayed the same with or without Manu really.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 13:39

I don't think there has been any question that Leicester Football Club will not survive without Manu. Players come and players go - and for all sorts of reasons good and bad but the club goes on. There is truth in the cliche that no-one individual is bigger than the team or the club.

But that isn't the issue here for me.

The club will survive - but changed, diminished because of recent events. I am less and less proud of a club that discards individuals the way we have. It's not exactly new - as Tigerburnie alludes - but this feels worse; perhaps because of the scale of what we have seen this year, perhaps because of the apparent intransigence; perhaps because of the refusal to admit that this was a bed of our own making; perhaps because its architect in chief clings desperately to power, unscathed.

Quote:
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven

Posted by: johnthegrif (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 14:34

Rugby went professional more than twenty years ago, one of the consequences was that players moved on at the end of contract or if it was deemed they were not value for money. We reached two European Finals in 2001 & 2002 in just twelve months there were six to the team, over the next couple of years the changes were vast.
Our team by all accounts and indeed by league position has not been good enough indicating change was needed. Undoubtedly there have been mistakes in the past, in coaching appointments and player recruitment. We have implemented many changes throughout the club to try to get back where we feel we belong, to alter systems to better balance our squad and to bring in new players , even to promote from our youth some had to go.
If we have got it right or even nearly right there will be a big improvement in results.

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 14:41

Very well put John. We will know where we are going this time next year

Posted by: SimW (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 15:27

I’m not saying all the blame lies at Saracens door BUT we weren’t competing on a level playing field. We were regularly finishing top 4 just not consistently winning like we used to. We were chasing a result that was nigh on impossible because it fundamentally wasn’t fair.

In order to attempt to keep up we fell into a wage inflation trap with players like Manu (no fault on his part) and made some very bad decisions (Slater for May and sacking some very good coaches; Cockers, etc).

In my view, the pursuit of the glory - in an impossible situation - led to decisions that do not reflect well on the club. I hope we can take a long-term view now but in the context of a level playing field.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 15:40

I'm not sure that in the end May, Veianu and Manu made that much difference. I think it was Stuart Barnes who made the point, when asked about Leicester's exciting backline, that without a solid forward pack, the backs would have insufficient good ball to make a difference. Exeter have good backs, but it's their forward power that makes them stand out. We have been well below par in the forwards for several seasons and it looks like Borthwick has recognized the problem and is doing his best to build a much stronger unit. How the club treated the players is another issue and, although not knowing the full facts, I tend to agree with RichW as our recent history shows several cases of shabby dealing. This looks like a new start - a pity we will only be able to watch it on TV for the foreseeable.

Posted by: IDLETIMES (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 16:16

Rich W has made many valuable points overtime, now we are where we are and it will take time but some fans demand instant success, some wanted Smurph sacked after 3 months. Are they willing to give Borthwick the time it needs, at least 2 seasons?

Posted by: Dave0205 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 13:43

We will miss Jonny May and several others but not Tuilagi, he has been unavailable or below par far too often, his wages were far too high for the performance he delivered. Sale are welcome to him.

Posted by: ttbb (IP Logged)
Date: 03 August, 2020 14:00

Manu was poor value. One of those contact players who need to keep themselves from getting injured. Through sheer idiocy we have had probably our most exciting back line ever who have never seen the ball. In a wage cap environment we need at least parity up front before spending money on backs. As to the culture I for one would like to see our present Jersey based owners float the company as should have happened twenty years ago. No-one is going to enjoy taking a pay cut to sustain the lifestyle of tax exiles so I'm afraid with thanks for all you have done it's time to go.

Posted by: melton tiger (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2020 12:54

It's a great shame that, after all these years there is no Tuilagi at the club, but in truth Manu hasn't not really fulfilled the enormous potential that was evident on that outstanding night v the Saffas. This is, no doubt, in part due to the terrible luck with injuries but perhaps there are other "Leicester" factors. Let's see how he goes at Sale - be very interesting to see if they can get more from him than we did.

Posted by: tigerburnie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2020 13:48

When Alesana left, Manu seemed to lose his way, maybe he needed guidance, no idea if Dimes is the man to provide that. Wet cold Friday nights every other week in the @rse end of Manchester would test anyones resolve

Posted by: GT1 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 August, 2020 13:59

Don't get me wrong I've loved having Manu at the club, but not having him & everything that goes with him will be a real breath of fresh air through the place.
That's Sale's problem now(at least for next season & what's left of this)
I'm really looking forward to this new team doing their stuff with much better coaches on board to put things right when they c--k up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net