Sale stuck at the AJ Bell for a while longer.
Posted by: Yorkie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 20:21

Trafford Council withdraw their support for new sports village on the outskirts of Sale.

Amateur sports teams currently based upon the site not happy with proposed development.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Re: Sale stuck at the AJ Bell for a while longer.
Posted by: Brownian Motion (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 20:33

Disappointing, but unsurprising.

Date: 16 September, 2020 20:47

Even if we were not in such cash strapped times, one could question whether a local authority is using it's available cash in the correct manner if it is building a stadium for a professional elite sports team? Even if Sale were to pay a commercial rent, the return upon investment would be pretty poor and the running costs associated with the facility high (and higher than all the revenue it is likely to create).

Lots of ways to justify the spend though but high prioritisation might be a little more difficult?

Date: 16 September, 2020 20:59

I totally agree, though I assume the contribution from TBC would be for the regeneration and community aspects of the development, rather than building the stadium, per se. Plus securing access to those facilities for amateur use, a la Saracens.

In other times though, I would absolutely want to see my tax money going towards facilities encouraging participation in sport.

Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 September, 2020 21:00

Yup why would that be a good use of taxes?

Date: 16 September, 2020 21:17

Local Authorities "obliged" to provide sports facilities for the use of the local community. Once upon a time (when their driving "passion" was "Sport for All") Sport England would provide grants in support of the building or upgrading of sports facilities. Nowadays, the majority of their money is invested in Elite Sport in pursuit of Olympic medals.

Can't remember what the existing facilities are like around Sale or what king of state they are in. Whether a new sports village is needed would depend upon this and what is available within surrounding Boroughs. And it would be a very different facility which would be constructed if Sale weren't involved. Not sure if Sale were contributing to the stadium construction? They didn't at AJ Bell and neither did the Rugby League team (Salford Reds?) whom it was built for.

Date: 16 September, 2020 21:22

Their gates are not so much in excess of the capacity at their original home!

Date: 16 September, 2020 21:35

Quote:
Stopsy
Their gates are not so much in excess of the capacity at their original home!

Whilst not upto Prem standard/requirements(?), doesn't Heywood Road still exist? Used by Sale RFC?

Date: 16 September, 2020 21:58

Yep, always good to watch the dev games v us at a proper rugby ground

Date: 16 September, 2020 22:10

So if their crowds fit there, why not invest in Heyward Road?

Posted by: SK 88 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 09:13

As far as I could see the business case was going to be made at the next stage, this was just the initial consultation, so all a bit of guesswork.

It's a shame, it appeared well located on Greater Manchester's tram network, near a better junction of the ring-road (M60 or whatever) and of course within Sale itself.

Perhaps I misread or misunderstood but I sort of got the impression Trafford Borough Council didn't rule out a planning application per se, just said they wouldn't put their own money in at the moment. The site will continue to be of interest I'd have thought.

Date: 17 September, 2020 09:54

Quote:
Yorkie
So if their crowds fit there, why not invest in Heyward Road?

Limited development capability - it's hemmed in on all sides by residential property and doesn't have amazing access. It would limit any other commercial activities they might want to invest in.

Date: 17 September, 2020 09:55

Quote:
SK 88
Perhaps I misread or misunderstood but I sort of got the impression Trafford Borough Council didn't rule out a planning application per se, just said they wouldn't put their own money in at the moment. The site will continue to be of interest I'd have thought.

I read it more as they wouldn't support the development at all, if Sharks were involved.

Date: 17 September, 2020 15:11

I too read it that way. I suspect that Trafford own the site and didn't want to upset the existing user groups and teams that currently use it.

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 15:36

Don't want Ruff-Diamond lowering the tone.

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 17:07

Quote:
"Tell Major Shorthouse to call me an elephant."
"He needn't bother I'll do it. You're an elephant."

Posted by: Tom Paine (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 18:16

Classic.

Date: 17 September, 2020 19:18

Quote:
Tom Paine
Ruff-Diamond

I literally spat tea over my keyboard at that.

Date: 17 September, 2020 19:30

Sid James?

Posted by: Rich W (IP Logged)
Date: 17 September, 2020 21:05

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net