Ex Saracen player
Posted by: Stopsy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2009 18:44

Does anyone on here remember a Sarries player with the surname Goodchild probably played in the late 50s and 60s.

Re: Ex Saracen player
Posted by: Rous Sitter (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2009 19:18

No, sorry
But

I was a good child in the late 50's and 60's, but my mum will probably tell you otherwise.

Posted by: SarrieGirl (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2009 19:32

Brian Goodchild?

Posted by: Glumbumble (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2009 01:22

"Brian Goodchild, who learnt his rugby at Eton Manor and having represented Saracens and Middlesex for several seasons suddenly collapsed and died at a Saracens training evening. In his honour a memorial fixture was arranged Saracens v The British Lions team that had recently returned from their successful South Africa tour.

Brian was an outstanding colt and club member. The following season the club requested the County to introduce an Essex Clubs Colts K O competition and presented the Brian Goodchild Trophy."

[www.etonmanor.net]

Posted by: Sir Tease (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2009 09:47

...it was 1971 and we played an international XV largely made up of Lions, recently back from NZ. 34-34.

Date: 19 November, 2009 13:24

Thank you very much all

Posted by: PhillFez (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2009 14:07

That was the first Sarries game I watched at Bramley Road, great game.

Date: 19 November, 2009 15:47

I note he is referred to on the Sarries site too in the history section.

Posted by: refminder (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2009 17:43

And Brian had a younger brother Dave who also played at Saracens.

RB

Posted by: Messmania (IP Logged)
Date: 23 December, 2009 13:40

Brian Goodchild was my uncle and David was my cousin.
i am searching to find out if there is video footage for the memorial match they played for my uncle when he died.

Date: 24 December, 2009 14:46

Then Toni is your cousin? Please say hello to her from me.

Posted by: LibbyS (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 15:05

Toni Goodchild is my mother and Brian Goodchild was my Grandad. It's lovely for us to read such nice comments about him. I will pass on the hi to her, can I ask your name so I can let her know? smiling smiley

Date: 19 February, 2018 20:24

Blimey, thatís one from the archives! Michael Stops, Mick or Jimmy Hubcap smiling smiley

Posted by: AlanE (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2018 21:05

Great thread. I know nobody on here (apart from having seen Stopsy appearing many times, of course). But the whole conversation lightened my evening. Thank you all.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Posted by: LibbyS (IP Logged)
Date: 25 July, 2020 16:15

Hey! Saw your post and thought Iíd message as Iíve met a lot of my mums cousins. Intrigued to see whether you got anywhere getting the footage of the rugby match? Kind regards.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net