WHY I WAS A HOOKER: PART 3
Posted by: TheSaracens.com (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2019 20:11

Thanks again to Innings for keeping us entertained - and giving me breathing space to do the EOS Poll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 25/07/2019 13:11 by Darraghgirl.

Re: WHY I WAS A HOOKER: PART 3
Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 08 July, 2019 21:39

Nothing to add other than to say this series has been a fantastic read.
Many thanks for letting me enjoy vicariously a rugby life I never had but would have liked to.
Excellent stuff.

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 09:58

An entertaining series. Thanks.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: Gryff (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 11:09

Great read Innings thanks having experience of a Catholic school though State rather than private where you got detention for kicking a football found this good fun.

Posted by: Coughie (IP Logged)
Date: 09 July, 2019 21:03

I reckon you're about 10 years older than me, Innings, because I started playing Senior Rugby in the 1980's from school rugby in the 1970's.

Your splendid series of articles have brought out a rare moment of contrition from me.

I played in the back row, mainly 6, because I liked scoring tries. I liked seeing my name in the Kent Messenger or the the Kent and East Sussex Courier, as a man regularly on the score sheet.

The front five always suspected as such - forgive me, I found rucks and mauls boring, ditto jumping in the lineout or pushing in the scrum. In the days when shortened lineouts were common, and you could detach from the scrum early without being penalised, I was always to be found lurking between the outside centre and wing waiting for an easy scoring pass....

Unsurprisingly while I was young and fit I excelled at 7's. Sorry Bboonie and Co...

~ You never knowingly let the facts get in the way of the story. ~

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2019 11:01

Unlike my son, who wrote in an early letter home from school, aged about ten:

'I played at flanker. In the first scrum their scrum half came round my side of the scrum, and I tackled him. In the next scrum their No 8 came round my side of the scrum, and I tackled him. After that no-one came round my side of the scrum.'

He enjoyed a different aspect of flanker play.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: Squawker2 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 July, 2019 17:33

A great series - thanks for writing!

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Posted by: BramleyRoad (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2019 03:32

Another fabulous trip down memory lane; reminds me of just how much I/we sometimes take this amazing sport for granted along with the accompanying bonhomie so notably absent from our round ball cousins.
Thanks again for taking the trouble to share the joy and good to hear that your son followed in his old man’s footsteps. My medic son had top tackle count (from second row) at St George’s and my fondest memory of watching him at schools level was seeing him track and absolutely nail an opposition winger who had broken through the defensive line and looked set to score until...
Best wishes and please keep writing.

Supporting Saracens for 52 years

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 11 July, 2019 16:40

Quote:
seeing him track and absolutely nail an opposition winger who had broken through the defensive line and looked set to score until...

You are HRHRH's father, the winger was Tuilagi and I claim my £5.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: BramleyRoad (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2019 05:08

Quote:
Innings
Quote:
seeing him track and absolutely nail an opposition winger who had broken through the defensive line and looked set to score until...

You are HRHRH's father, the winger was Tuilagi and I claim my £5.

Close but unfortunately no cigar...

Supporting Saracens for 52 years

Posted by: derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
Date: 14 July, 2019 21:29

thanks so much for these three pieces - have loved reading them

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net