Current Page: 1 of 2
Wales v England pt2
Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 14:08

Liam Williams out in warm up, not heard why though, seemed to be walking ok though

Re: Wales v England pt2
Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 15:07

Quote:
Sarriebone
Liam Williams out in warm up, not heard why though, seemed to be walking ok though

Was seen holding the back of this thigh so presumably tight h/s?

Date: 17 August, 2019 15:15

Yeah commentary said tight HS.

England have been dire so far, kicking from hand has been dismal. BV been decent so far.
Not sure on the laws but shouldn't the ref have waited for Joseph to be off the field to restart the play?

Date: 17 August, 2019 16:14

Now I don't want to seem bitter or generalise about French refs but...

Posted by: sarricen (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 16:27

That yellow was never a yellow in a million years. Not even a penalty. Both arms were going in to bind. And it was so deep in Wales half

I am shocked as well that the Biggar challenge on Itoje after the interception wasn't looked at. To me that looked like a no arms shoulder charge to the head with Itoje fully upright. Probably would've been a red if indeed that happened (only saw it in real time). Let's see what the citing officer says. Oh wait, only Ashton can be banned from a friendly...

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 17:34

England deserved nothing from that display ..which is what they got.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 18:26

The real lesson for me was that England are woefully short of back-up in several positions:

One top-drawer hooker, but LC-D proved that he is scarcely better than a good club player, and EJ has tried no other. Was he unlucky with Hartley? Or should he worked out that to risk all on a 33 year-old with a history of injury and concussions was a high-risk gamble?
Ditto No8, with no pretender even close to being international-trophy winning standard. Hughes should have been the closest, but he's faded too much in the last 18 months.
Ford was far below RWC standard today, several poor decisions, some inadequate kicking from hand, failed to impose himself on the game or team. Has Eddie got a third 10 in mind? If so, I cannot see who it would be in his named squad.
After trying every England qualified player Eddie still hasn't found a certain-to-start 10-12-13 combination.

Trying to bring in bolters, like Francis, Ludlum and Cockanasiga, was always a risk, and under the pressure of today's game none really justified why he should be in the 31. OK for Heinz, but one bolter coming good, out of four, is a poor return.

Trouble is that Eddie just couldn't resist the next name bigged up by his club or the Press. He has frittered away the opportunity to build an experienced, cohesive squad and then trust them to deliver. I thought Wales gave the game to England last week, and when the real Wales turned up today, England were found out in too many positions. If the bench, loaded with sure-fire starters, hadn't steadied things at the last, the score-line could well have been embarrassing.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Date: 17 August, 2019 18:42

Issues today were all over the park.

LCD, just not good enough, can't throw consistently enough to be international level.
Cole had a good first couple of scrums but beyond that? Not much really.
We desperately need a 7!
BV solid as per usual, gave us at least a little go forward, but the squad has no replacement for him, that's a huge workload on one player.
Heinz faaar too slow in the first half, Youngs actually seemed to speed up the game when he came on in the second half. For me he shouldn't be in the squad, he may bring leadership, though that didn't exactly show today, but he lacks international experience and that showed in Cardiff.
Ford ...
Francis was solid enough not spectacular, but solid.
The rest of the backs just had no go-forward, far too much lateral running that didn't end up going anywhere.

I really hope the Sarries coaching team have a plan for Daly because what he's shown in the last couple of matches hasn't been reassuring from a Sarries perspective.

Right now I'd want Spencer or Robson to come in for Heinz, Cips for Ford and Goode in to cover 15 and back up 10. Why was Singleton playing 6 again when he came on? Why not have a proper 6 in the squad, Dombrandt should have had a run out in these two matches rather than him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2019 18:46 by Sarriebone.

Posted by: Squawker2 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 18:50

Quote:
Sarriebone
I really hope the Sarries coaching team have a plan for Daly because what he's shown in the last couple of matches hasn't been reassuring from a Sarries perspective.

Happy to put good money down on our coaches having a plan on how to improve Daly - and improve he will!

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Date: 17 August, 2019 18:55

Quote:
Squawker2
Quote:
Sarriebone

Happy to put good money down on our coaches having a plan on how to improve Daly - and improve he will!
I'm sure they have, though I'm still struggling to see where he's going to fit in. But then I'm not paid to know.

Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 21:39

Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Squawker2
Quote:
Sarriebone

I'm sure they have, though I'm still struggling to see where he's going to fit in. But then I'm not paid to know.

Wherever he fits I bet it won't be fullback.

Posted by: OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
Date: 17 August, 2019 22:48

Quote:
Roger G
Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
Squawker2
Quote:
Sarriebone

Wherever he fits I bet it won't be fullback.

Iím pretty sure he has come to play 13 which he couldnít do often at Wasps. I think Loz will move to 12 with Barritt having more rest games to make room for him. If Loz finds form then Daly will be competing for wing with Maitland and williams

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2019 00:43

Quote:
sarricen
That yellow was never a yellow in a million years. Not even a penalty. Both arms were going in to bind. And it was so deep in Wales half

Always a yellow for me. He tried to be cute but wasn't especially subtle about it. Had there not been a three man overlap it would have only been a penalty I guess but I see little to complain about with that call. Biggars "tackle" on Maro and the failure to penalise Wales for collapsing the scrum at the end of the game I am less sanguine about.

Posted by: Barnesy (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2019 03:12

Quote:
Sarriebone
Not sure on the laws but shouldn't the ref have waited for Joseph to be off the field to restart the play?

With the clock stopped for the TMO, I don't understand how the ref could restart the game with a player going off for a HIA.

Not to mention every time I've seen a team try and go quick after a yellow card they've been stopped by the ref saying something along the lines of "time's off, wait for the player to leave the pitch"

Date: 18 August, 2019 13:35

Unfortunately, the referee awarded the try anyway. However they got there, IMHO, Wales deserved the win and England deserved to lose.

England will go into the RWC utterly dependent on six Sarries players, Mako, Jamie, George, Maro, Billy, Owen, without any of whom whom the side will simply be too weakened to get beyond the QFs:

Mako is the only prop whose skill as a ball-carrier is good enough to demand as much attention as Wales gave to Billy
Jamie is the only international standard hooker available to England
George management wins line-outs, his scrum influence was clear yesterday, and his every carry is almost certain to get over the gain-line, whilst his close defence is fearsome
Maro is Maro
Billy is the top close-in ball-carrier, wide-out receiver, in the entire squad
Owen is the heart-beat, the player who makes everyone else play better, who demands the best of all around him, and is the stand-out 10 as well.

I cannot see any where in EQ terms a player who can stand in adequately for any of this sextet.

Innings

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 18 August, 2019 15:06

The reality is players will get injured Innings . There's no doubt to me that of your list the Vunipolae and Jamie George are basically irreplaceable. The others we have cover that is pretty much in line with other teams resources. It will be interesting to see if Billy is picked again next week against Ireland. So much for player welfare if he is.

Date: 18 August, 2019 20:02

I'm not really thinking about other teams' resources. This is more my thinking about how the England set-up is going into RWC with a team that lacks international-quality depth in key positions.

Innings

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2019 08:56

I was amazed at how poor England were.

£721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: sarricen (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2019 11:43

Quote:
TonyTaff

I'm equally amazed how poor Wales were, given it was far closer to their first team, in Wales and against a 'poor' England performance

I honestly can't see Wales coming even close to troubling South Africa, New Zealand or even Australia

Posted by: Garp285 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 August, 2019 15:54

Quote:
sarricen
Quote:
TonyTaff

I'm equally amazed how poor Wales were, given it was far closer to their first team, in Wales and against a 'poor' England performance

I honestly can't see Wales coming even close to troubling South Africa, New Zealand or even Australia
What people seem to be forgetting is that this "second string", "experimental" or whatever you want to call it, is actually the England squad for the RWC. Wales were missing Rob Evans, Samson Lee, Corey Hill, Justin Tipuric, Josh Navidi, Talupe Faletau, Gareth Anscombe, Liam Williams - all of whom are arguable first choice! The difference is that a number of England's back up haven't been blooded, whereas the Welsh have. Whose fault is that? Remember, this is the actual England squad for the RWC!

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net