Saracens vs England
Posted by: bramleyboy (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 07:00

Hey guys, particularly nausy post, but had this thought, would Saracens with their EQP beat England without their Sarries players:

Saracens England Team:

1) Mako
2) Jamie/Jack S on bench
3) Baz
4) Maro
5) Kruis
6) Rhodes
7) Jackson Wray/Calum Clark Bench
8) Bill V/Ben Earle Bench
9) Spenno/Wiggy Bench
10) Owen/Max Malins bench
11) Stretts
12) Brad
13) Nick T/Loz
14) Daly
15) Goodey

That's mental ....#somethingspecial #slowdayattheoffice

Re: Saracens vs England
Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 10:27

Stretts has retired, but you could slot in Lewington instead.

Posted by: scrappydoo (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 10:32

Don't forget Nick isiekwe and Joel Kpoku

Date: 21 August, 2019 10:56

To answer the question "who'd win", it would be hard to call IMHO. It's anybody's guess who Eddie would pick but here's a possible team (might have got some players on the wrong wing of the scrum/team):

Marler
LCD
Cole
Launchberry
Lawes
Curry
Simmonds/Kvesic
Hughes
Youngs
Ford
May
Tuilagi
Slade/Joseph
Nowell
Watson

Maybe Sarries would have an edge due to knowledge/experience of playing together but, man for man, it'd be a bit arrogant to assume Sarries had the better players across the whole team.

Posted by: MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 11:12

Close call!!

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 11:29

It'd be close, but I think Sarries would edge it due to experience of playing together. And of course Mr M.Mccall...

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 11:44

I'm surprised that Williams, Maitland and Taylor, Skelton don't make your team. They're Sarries players.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 11:56

Mine:
Goode 15 Watson Daly 14 Nowell Lozowski 13 Joseph Barritt 12 Slade Lewington 11 May Farrell 10 Ford Spencer 9 Robson Vunipola 1 Marler George 2 Yendle ? 3 Sinckler Itoje 4 Lawes Kruis 5 Launchbury Rhodes 6 Wilson Wray 7 Curry Vunipola 8 Kvesic Singleton 16 Cowan-Dickie Barrington 17 Genge ? 18 Williams Isiekwe 19 Ewels Earl 20 Underhill Wigglesworth 21 Heinz Malins 22 Cipriani Tompkins 23 Tuilagi
We can't field a suitably experienced EQ TH, that apart I think our starters are better, bench (not surprisingly) weaker. The back rows are interesting - our power against a more mobile England.

ETA Sinckler - forgot all about him!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2019 15:52 by Sara'sman.

Date: 21 August, 2019 11:58

Quote:
Innings
I'm surprised that Williams, Maitland and Taylor, Skelton don't make your team. They're Sarries players.

EQP Innings.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 13:16

Exam questions were never my strong point!

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: SarrieSaint (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 14:53

One-off game at a neutral venue would be close but I think Sarries would be in with a great shout especially if it's Jones England rather than us selecting an England team we think would cause Sarries more problems.

Obviously all fun conjecture and there would be lots of significant factors like how long both teams had to prepare (the shorter the time the more it favours the existing team unit IMO) and if it was just a one-off game or a series (the later would shift significantly in Englands favour who have the depth to better cope with injuries) also some issues about a full 23 of EQP for Sarries, bench TH? (whichever of Barrington and Adams-Hale can cover best) Also I think stronger teams could be selected than Jones selects. So is it against a Jones England team or the best opposition we could select?
Make it Jones England Internationals V Sarries Internationals in a one-off and I'd back Sarries.

Sarries EQP:
Mako, George, Ibuanokpe, Isiekwe/Kpoku, Kruis, Maro, Rhodes, Billy, Spencer, Farrell, Gallagher, Barritt, Tompkins, Lozo, Goode
Barrington, Woolstencroft, Adams-Hale?, Wray, Earl, Wiggle, Malins, Morris.

Sarries International:
Mako, George, Titi, Skelton, Kruis, Maro, Rhodes, Billy, Spencer, Farrell, Maitland, Barritt, Lozo, Williams, Goode
Barrington, Woolstencroft, Koch, Earl, Wray, Wiggle, Tompkins, Gallagher/Malins

Jones England:
Marler, Hartley, Sinckler, Launchbury, Lawes, Shields, Curry, Wilson, Youngs, Ford, May, Tuilagi, Slade, Nowell, Daly
Genge, LCD, Williams, Ewels, Underhill, Heinz, Francis, Watson.

I think there is a semi-serious point in this fun thread which is that England should is for most the pinnacle of rugby performance and yet I think it is indeed arguable that England can put out a significantly better EQP team than Sarries. I genuinely worry that for some players at Sarries and Chiefs going to play for England is a step down in quality of coaching and selection.

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 18:27

A Sarries team, able to pick EQP players plus the non-English players, would beat any of the Home Nations teams.

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication. (*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 21 August, 2019 23:10

Quote:
TonyTaff
A Sarries team, able to pick EQP players plus the non-English players, would beat any of the Home Nations teams.

I actually agree. Not quite sure why the emphasis was on EQ players in the first place. Surely the (admittedly hypothetical) point is could a club team beat an international team? That being so it should include all our players. With the likes of Skelton, Williams, Koch and Maitland thrown into the mix we know what an awesome 23 we have. An England team deprived of the Sarries contingent would really struggle against us I genuinely believe.

Don't forget November 2009; the precedent has been set already!

Posted by: whyisitnevereasy (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2019 04:54

Quote:
SarrieSaint
One-off game at a neutral venue would be close but I think Sarries would be in with a great shout especially if it's Jones England rather than us selecting an England team we think would cause Sarries more problems.
Obviously all fun conjecture and there would be lots of significant factors like how long both teams had to prepare (the shorter the time the more it favours the existing team unit IMO) and if it was just a one-off game or a series (the later would shift significantly in Englands favour who have the depth to better cope with injuries) also some issues about a full 23 of EQP for Sarries, bench TH? (whichever of Barrington and Adams-Hale can cover best) Also I think stronger teams could be selected
than Jones selects. So is it against a Jones England team or the best opposition we could select?
Make it Jones England Internationals V Sarries Internationals in a one-off and I'd back Sarries.

Sarries EQP:
Mako, George, Ibuanokpe, Isiekwe/Kpoku, Kruis, Maro, Rhodes, Billy, Spencer, Farrell, Gallagher, Barritt, Tompkins, Lozo, Goode
Barrington, Woolstencroft, Adams-Hale?, Wray, Earl, Wiggle, Malins, Morris.

Sarries International:
Mako, George, Titi, Skelton, Kruis, Maro, Rhodes, Billy, Spencer, Farrell, Maitland, Barritt, Lozo, Williams, Goode
Barrington, Woolstencroft, Koch, Earl, Wray, Wiggle, Tompkins, Gallagher/Malins

Jones England:
Marler, Hartley, Sinckler, Launchbury, Lawes, Shields, Curry, Wilson, Youngs, Ford, May, Tuilagi, Slade, Nowell, Daly
Genge, LCD, Williams, Ewels, Underhill, Heinz, Francis, Watson.

I think there is a semi-serious point in this fun thread which is that England should is for most the pinnacle of rugby performance and yet I think it is indeed arguable that England can put out a significantly better EQP team than Sarries. I genuinely worry that for some players at Sarries and Chiefs going to play for England is a step down in quality of coaching and selection.

Daly is ours now too SS.....

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 22 August, 2019 21:13

If you let Eddie pick the Sarries EQ players who don't make the Sarries EQ side, it would be closer still.

Oh for the simple days when we were a South African side.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net