Eng v Ire
Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2019 19:19

Outstanding shift by the Sarries boys, Maro in particular is a beast frankly.

Mako a bit of a worry. I said it before the match I wish they had given him an extra couple of weeks instead of bringing him back because his recovery was "ahead of schedule"

Re: Eng v Ire
Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 24 August, 2019 22:05

Ahead of schedule = 'We know it's a gamble with the player's long-term welfare, but we're taking it anyway."

Positively, I thought Curry and Underhill were just what Eddie's been trying to achieve all this time. However, Youngs was awful, slow and inaccurate at the same time, a combination to lose a tighter game. Ireland scarcely pressed onto Farrell or Ford at all, who were top-drawer together, and that gave England time to get the really potent back division plenty of time to run their oppo ragged.

However, Daly worries me. On recent showings, he won't even get close to getting the starting 15 jersey off Alex Goode. He looks like a utility back signing, and he may find that he doesn't have a place at all in the starting XV, especially if Duncan gets back to his best. I cannot see Daly troubling Liam Williams or Sean Maitland for the wing slots. IMHO, Daly will be against Nick T, Alex L and Duncan for a starting place, and on recent form I suspect he's likely to find it as harder to get into a Sarries Jersey than an England one.

When did we see an international pack, wanting to be No 1 in the world, so destroyed in the line-out? George and Maro just terrorised Best and his jumpers.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2019 11:39 by Innings.

Posted by: westglos (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 07:56

Innings. I'm afraid that, for whatever reason, EJ simply doesn't want a flair game changer at 15 (Goode) or 10 (Cipriani)....or there are personalty issues there.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 10:08

I think Daly worries plenty of people form wise.
it is not even form though.... he is found a place come what may and Jones is trying to give him belated experience at FB but as a last man he seems non existent.

Id start Watson in the group stages at FB because you want him on the pitch...id also start Joe C because he takes a load off BV and it means that defences have to contend with them both and Manu..
That makes the attack multi faceted.

Start with Heinz and we look far far better.

Dalys attraction is he is utilty...but not really master of one, imv
Him and Nowell become very valuable in tournaments for this very reason.. imo.

Posted by: maynas (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 20:52

God knows what game the Sunday Times was watching, they give Ben Young’s 8/10 and say “ One of his best, and not even the paucity of the opposition could devalue it”
Maybe his best is just poor?
I hope somehow Ben Spencer gets to go. Young’s box kicking was awful. Even Barnes noticed it was poor in the commentary before anything negative about ENgland was lost in the huge score

Posted by: Primavesi2 (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 08:46

Eddie Jones could win the world cup, solve Brexit, find a cure for cancer, put out the fires in Brazil and secure lasting world peace and people would still moan about him.

Fantastic win on Saturday with so many encouraging performances and people focus on the one or two who didnt play well. Whenever England lose or play badly there are always dozens if not hundreds of comments and whenever they play well almost nothing. I just don´t get it.

Anyway, really good performance especially from some of the Sarries boys. Having a (or two) genuine number 7 is huge and hopefully will make the difference compared to 2015. I assume and hope that we will rest a lot for the Italy game. Billy has started all 3 games so far for example and surely should play no part. Same goes for Manu and a few others.

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 09:18

Totally agree PV2. Three Saracens score in a record breaking win over a team once touted as world cup winners in a cracking game of rugby and it's still not enough. Add to that Sean Maitland scored for Scotland and it was a very happy day for the Saracens contingent.

A final thought for Mako; the word is that it was a hamstring problem that brought him off after only 15 minutes on Saturday. No mention on whether it was the same one though. A grim prospect of it was.

Posted by: AB (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 11:06

Without doubt Maro was mom don't really understand d why they gave it to Manu

Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 11:28

Quote:
AB
Without doubt Maro was mom don't really understand d why they gave it to Manu

Maro was Maro - always excellent. Manu hasn't had a game that good for a while.

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 11:46

Hang on PV2 and GF. I praised six players and commented adversely on two, one of them only in a Sarries rather than England context. I've edited the comment about Youngs and Ford to read, as I originally intended, Farrell and Ford. If anyone actually thinks Youngs did not deserve his poor reviews, they, like the Times reporter were seeing a different Youngs from the one I thought I was watching.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 14:10

Quote:
Innings
Hang on PV2 and GF. I praised six players and commented adversely on two, one of them only in a Sarries rather than England context. I've edited the comment about Youngs and Ford to read, as I originally intended, Farrell and Ford. If anyone actually thinks Youngs did not deserve his poor reviews, they, like the Times reporter were seeing a different Youngs from the one I thought I was watching.

Point taken esp. re Youngs. Despite Saturday's excellent showing and vindication of EJ's selections, I, like many others still can't fathom some of the squad selections. Leaving out Ben Spencer being one and having an as yet uncapped winger in the squad is just bizarre. No doubt he will go on and score the winning try in the final now!

Overall there is no doubt England are in a much better place at this stage, immediately prior to the RWC, than many of us had dared to hope for a year ago.

Expect a total rotation for the Italy game, with all the key players left out and hopefully a start for the mystery winger.

Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 29 August, 2019 12:32

youngs had a period (mostly with Farrell at 10) where he was told simply (I can imagine the blunt ; just f..ing pass it) to pass the ball as quickly as possible. As a result he looked good and positive and was able to add the odd dart to that. Because it was the odd dart, it wasn't looked for and as a result unexpected and got results.

now he is back to the two step shuffle; oh dear what shall i do ; oh I know i'll throw a cr@p pass to a forward who will get blamed if he drops it. it looks rubbish, but may actually be an effective strategy against the defensive rush.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net