Alex Lozowski
Posted by: David@Sarries (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 23:15

Does anyone else think that Alex is not playing at his best at the moment?

Yes, hes mostly been dependable; but Im struggling to think of when hes excelled.

My view is that we play better with Nick Tompkins @ 13.

What do you think?

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 00:22

I think that both offer the coaches selection options, alongside the other centres. One or other will be needed for specific skills on particular days.



Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Roger G (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 07:36

I'd have Taylor over both of them at 13. Tomkins will, I think, take over the 12 shirt when Ironman finally retires.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: BlackheathSaracen (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 08:12

Just my view but I think Lozo is one of the most naturally gifted players we have at the club and it would be worth considering why we're not getting the best out of him?

I think he could have been an incredible full back, sadly not a position he's likely to see any game time in. I can also see Tompkins eventually moving to 12 bringing out the best in him.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 09:00

Loz had a quiet season last year as well, until the knock out games when he was fantastic. I wouldn't be too concerned.

I still have him down as first choice 13 with NT at 12 when Brad can't play.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 11:15

Is Loz simply an example of fans "bigging up" a player who has a couple of eye catching moments in a victory, then being disappointed when he doesn't appear to stand out more often? I feel he is one of many excellent players who can step into our First XV with no discernible drop in quality, but someone who, in a team of these players, simply looks decent.

Last year, a few were dreaming of an attack of Spencer, Malins, Tompkins, Lozowski. ignoring the fall in defensive quality - think Northampton v Leinster! Many of us were also puzzled at Mark's occasional Loz/Nick 12/13 combination, feeling it to be the wrong way round, perhaps forgetting that he had occasionally been caught out positionally in defence at 13.

It can't help that he has played 10/12/13 with visits to wing and fullback, though this flexibility is great for the team. He punches above his weight in the tackle and reads the game well but needs others to create opportunities that he can exploit. 100 games in little over 3 years speaks volumes of his value and rumours are of others trying to sign him.

He is one of many squad players who may wish to try to become a star in a lesser team rather than a valuable component in a star team. I think he has a longer, healthier, happier and more successful future as the latter and hope he stays and continues to contribute solid performances and occasional moments of top quality.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 12:49

I thought that earlier on in the season - especially in the opening Prem game he looked excellent. On a different class from those players around him. He then had a couple of weeks off and his appearances since were focussed on him defending

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: The Bard (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 19:14

He certainly was outstanding in that Sale game but had not matched that performance since. Tomkins is winning that particular battle at the moment but Im happy to see either of them or Dunc in the team.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 11 December, 2019 20:16

Quote:
Sara'sman
Is Loz simply an example of fans "bigging up" a player who has a couple of eye catching moments in a victory, then being disappointed when he doesn't appear to stand out more often? I feel he is one of many excellent players who can step into our First XV with no discernible drop in quality, but someone who, in a team of these players, simply looks decent.
Last year, a few were dreaming of an attack of Spencer, Malins, Tompkins, Lozowski. ignoring the fall in defensive quality - think Northampton v Leinster! Many of us were also puzzled at Mark's occasional Loz/Nick 12/13 combination, feeling it to be the wrong way round, perhaps forgetting that he had occasionally been caught out positionally in defence at 13.

It can't help that he has played 10/12/13 with visits to wing and fullback, though this flexibility is great for the team. He punches above his weight in the tackle and reads the game well but needs others to create opportunities that he can exploit. 100 games in little over 3 years speaks volumes of his value and rumours are of others trying to sign him.

He is one of many squad players who may wish to try to become a star in a lesser team rather than a valuable component in a star team. I think he has a longer, healthier, happier and more successful future as the latter and hope he stays and continues to contribute solid performances and occasional moments of top quality.

++++1 !

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2019 08:03

He wasn't very pleased being substituted again at the weekend. I thought he did ok up to then.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2019 08:59

You often see "utility" players struggle to really assert themselves in any one individual position, it's a tough job but absolutely priceless in the course of a season

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: BlackheathSaracen (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2019 16:36

Quote:
#wolfpack
He wasn't very pleased being substituted again at the weekend. I thought he did ok up to then.

Tbf we pick a hugely exciting backs group then spend 80 minutes kicking the ball away to a Munster back three who field them exceptionally. I trust the coaches but would love to see some sign that as we have more and more talented backs players we will actually trust them ball in hand. It was apparent when we upped the pace of the game that Munster struggled so the reversion to kicking and one up runners seemed odd.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Garp285 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 December, 2019 19:19

That is a very good point BS. We all said before ko what a quick backline we had but then ignored them for large parts. Minister's defence was very good on Saturday and it was only when we upped the pace and Billy and others started some clever off-loads instead of just running into contact that we started to get some success.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2019 12:15

Not in squad this week I do feel a bit sorry for him. He doesn't ever seem to get a run of games at 13 at the moment.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2019 12:26

Quote:
#wolfpack
Not in squad this week I do feel a bit sorry for him. He doesn't ever seem to get a run of games at 13 at the moment.

Not sure the facts support this # - he's played there in 6 of the 9 top games so far (5 Prem, 4 CC): 13, 13, 13, --, 13, 22, --, 13, 13. And at 13 in the two Prem Cup games that he played. Good rotation imv.

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2019 13:04

Quote:
Sara'sman
Quote:
#wolfpack
Not in squad this week I do feel a bit sorry for him. He doesn't ever seem to get a run of games at 13 at the moment.

Not sure the facts support this # - he's played there in 6 of the 9 top games so far (5 Prem, 4 CC): 13, 13, 13, --, 13, 22, --, 13, 13. And at 13 in the two Prem Cup games that he played. Good rotation imv.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm still thinking of last season where he seemed to play a bit of everywhere. How many of those 6 games did he stay on the field for 80 mins?

Re: Alex Lozowski
Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 20 December, 2019 13:56

Quote:
#wolfpack
Quote:
Sara'sman
Quote:
#wolfpack
Not in squad this week I do feel a bit sorry for him. He doesn't ever seem to get a run of games at 13 at the moment.

Not sure the facts support this # - he's played there in 6 of the 9 top games so far (5 Prem, 4 CC): 13, 13, 13, --, 13, 22, --, 13, 13. And at 13 in the two Prem Cup games that he played. Good rotation imv.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm still thinking of last season where he seemed to play a bit of everywhere. How many of those 6 games did he stay on the field for 80 mins?

Yes, agree re last season, Loz played many games at 12 (there was a feeling on here that he and Tompkins often played the wrong way round) as well as wing, occasionally covering 10 and that excellent game at 15 (I still think this could be his best position!). Perhaps he was peeved at the substitution last week because games tend to open up towards the end, and he would have been more likely to get some ball! Sorry, I've no idea on the lengths of his appearances.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net