Current Page: 1 of 3
What should Sarries do now?
Posted by: MaroonTyke2 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 10:41

For the players:
1. release anyone who wishes from their contract now or at the end of the season. With other Premiership clubs probably already committed to the salary cap for both this and next year, this would mean looking to other leagues. Lyon are reported to be interested in Owen, Maro & Billy for next year. South Africa, Japan and Argentina are other possibilities.

2. seek to renegotiate current contracts to ensure there are no financial obstructions to promotion from the Championship.

Team selection:
Behave as if the season was a normal one (& go all out to try and win the Heineken!)

For the fans:
1. arrange a meeting to explain (past & future) and apologise.
2. put in place incentives for renewing STHs next year for the first season back in the Premiership. A free ST would be nice!

As for us fans, what should we do:
1. get behind the players in whatever decisions they make.
2. get behind the team each week. By turning up at AzP for every home/Storm game and expressing loud vocal support.

Re: What should Sarries do now?
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:00

I think it has to be incumbent on the club to put some supporters meetings in place to explain where the club goes from here, and to apologise honestly for the cheating, and to stop calling it 'mistakes'.

Clearly the player meetings next week have to take place first, and I suspect the other clubs will also be waiting on the outcome of those meetings.

The financial position of the club will be interesting - the big sponsors almost certainly pulling out, presumably TV money dropping, will the parachute payment be made or not, will it be a minimum of 1 or 2 years in the championship.

Will the club be in a position to meet its financial liabilities or not? If not, what impact will that then have?

The nightmare will run for a while longer for the Salaries supporters I'm afraid.

Posted by: Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:00

Quote:
MaroonTyke2
For the players:
1. release anyone who wishes from their contract now or at the end of the season. With other Premiership clubs probably already committed to the salary cap for both this and next year, this would mean looking to other leagues. Lyon are reported to be interested in Owen, Maro & Billy for next year. South Africa, Japan and Argentina are other possibilities.

2. seek to renegotiate current contracts to ensure there are no financial obstructions to promotion from the Championship.

Team selection:
Behave as if the season was a normal one (& go all out to try and win the Heineken!)

For the fans:
2. put in place incentives for renewing STHs next year for the first season back in the Premiership. A free ST would be nice!

2. get behind the team each week. By turning up at AzP for every home/Storm game and expressing loud vocal support.

From a personal point of view, as my travelling time for a home match amounts to 4 hours or so, I do not feel inclined to carry on with this for a series of meaningless matches. For next season I'm open to renewing so long as we are not charged Premiership prices for Championship rugby; as others have said elsewhere it will at least be refreshing to have a change of opposition. Beyond that, it depends on whether PRL pull up the ladder.

I'm 100% behind the players and coaches and wish them well in their future careers wherever they go. On the otherv hand Mr Wray, the directors and seniorb management..........

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:36

RugbyPass have just published what they think our players will do :

Below list of players and, in brackets, teams or competitions they have been linked with, and whether they are likely to stay or go. This speculative list does not account for loans deals, that could see players take a year away from the club before returning in 21/22.

Likely stayers:
Owen Farrell (Lyon), Maro Itoje (Lyon), Jamie George, Jackson Wray, Brad Barritt, Ben Earl, Ben Spencer, Max Malins, Nick Isekwe,

Possible leavers:
Billy Vunipola (Lyon, Leicester Tigers), Mako Vunipola, Alex Goode, Jack Singleton, Rhys Carré (PRO14), Titi Lamositele

Likely leavers:
George Kruis (Japan), Richard Wigglesworth (Ealing), Michael Rhodes, Juan Figallo, Vincent Koch (Super Rugby/France), Nick Tompkins (PRO14), Callum Clark, Alex Lozowski (Bath), Matt Gallagher (Munster), Will Skelton (Super Rugby, France), Sean Maitland, Duncan Taylor, Elliot Daly, Alex Lewington, Ali Crossdale, Joe Gray, Joel Kpoku (Northampton Saints)

Confirmed leavers:
Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 11:37 by Sarriebone.

Posted by: one fine day (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 11:59

Can you please explain your criteria for each classification of leave. Thanks

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 12:05

Quote:
one fine day
Can you please explain your criteria for each classification of leave. Thanks

You'd have to ask RugbyPass, it's their predictions

Posted by: Chilham (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 13:01

Quote:
MaroonTyke2
For the players ....

Good post.

Posted by: scrappydoo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 17:02

Rugbypass also has us potentially joing the Pro14 in what they say would be two fingers to the rest of the Premiership. But did say if we took this root there would be no going back.

Posted by: Vespulavulgaris (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 17:04

If you'd rather take guaranteed relegation than open your books to show you weren't cheating, and then join a different league completely to get around that relegation I doubt there would be many people sad to see you go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/01/2020 17:11 by Vespulavulgaris.

Posted by: scrappydoo (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 17:10

Reading the article, it is clear that this is speculation on RP's part and nothing to suggest the club is even considering this.

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 18:56

Great journalism from RugbyPass, simple guess work and no more.

“I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it.” - Nils Mordt

Posted by: tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
Date: 19 January, 2020 19:04

Isn't that what journalism is about - don't know what' going on so make up something in the hope that it will become fact.

Posted by: Rupes (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:49

Good original post, some interesting stuff in there. For me, as follows:

For Saracens, the club:
1. Embark on a programme of comms with supporters, PRL and media to be honest about what is happening now, within the boundaries of confidentiality. Honesty at this stage is the only way to rebuild trust. No spin, honesty.

2. Ensure that Nigel Wray doesn't attend another home game at AP. I personally thought it was a bad look that he was there yesterday - if a fan had inflicted similar damage on the club, they'd have been banned for life. This is part of showing a clean break with the past, which addresses the new Chairman's statement about building confidence and trust. As long as Nigel is there, very hard to build either.

For PRL:
1. Go on a fact-finding mission to the NRL and see how the salary cap and other governance is done properly.

2. Accept that things have to move forward - no longer can the game be governed by the 12 Chairman, it HAS to be governed independently. Now it may be that CVC investment changes this in any case, but no longer can the Chairman decide on the rules and then say "oh, but we've always done it like this, we're rugby and respect each other's values". No longer good enough, the sport has to evolve and accept that the old school tie is done, dusted and should be locked away. Self-regulation has been shown not to work, this must be a watershed moment in the governance of elite rugby in England.

Posted by: derbyshire fan (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:57

So Rupes you want to ban Nigel from every home game in perpetuity, but still take his (or at least his family’s money) to keep the club afloat. How immoral is that?

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:02

I know its a different scenario, but when Saints went down, our season tickets prices were reduced and anyone that purchased a season ticket then got a discount on season ticket when promoted back to premiership, think it was 20%
iirc?

There was also some very good old school rugby days out and some proper old rugby grounds and some decent food to!!... as one of the closest, do go to Goldington Rd, having a pint and just walk around the ground watching the rugby from where you want is refreshing change

I think youll find the opposition supporters will enjoy having your company and having players of the quality that you will have playing at their ground!

Posted by: jonnybrowne (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:11

Quote:
MaroonTyke2
For the players:

Team selection:

For the fans:

Good post, all eminently sensible proposals although I'd guess that STH numbers will drop so while a free "loyalty" ST for renewing in advance for 2021-22 would be lovely I suspect the club will need whatever revenue it can get.

Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:38

Quote:
scrappydoo
Rugbypass also has us potentially joing the Pro14 in what they say would be two fingers to the rest of the Premiership. But did say if we took this root there would be no going back.

I like that idea.

Some of those French stadiums are superb. Their supporters are brill.

Lyon versus a damp, dank, & windy Exeter...….. No contest.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Posted by: DoubleChampions (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:40

Could always charge us the same just make it a 2 year ticket - that way the club will get the money in next season? provided we are able to come back up after one year (which is possibly unlikely) failing that they cannot expect to get anywhere near the current pricing.

+1

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:40

Quote:
boomer!

Lyon versus a damp, dank, & windy Exeter...….. No contest.
cheaper to fly to as well! Why on earth would at least 80% of the pro14 want us?

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:52

Get that PR company to actually do something?

Current Page: 1 of 3
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net