Current Page: 1 of 2
Are we now scared to lift our heads up?
Posted by: Duncan96 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:06

What an amazing day yesterday was. What a match. What an atmosphere. What an occasion and most importantly: what a team.

It was a privilege to be at an extraordinary event which forms part of an end of era period.

And yet, as far as I can see, no mention of any of that here.

But I think thatís understandable because, in amongst the very large number of very supportive posts from extremely sensitive And welcome non Saracen fans, there are what seems like an overwhelming number of comments from ďoutsidersĒ, for want of a better word, who put forward reasonable and understandable but nevertheless critical comments about any positive thought on Saracens.

Again, I donít criticise those comments but itís interesting to see how the purpose of this board has moved from a place where like minded people gather, to one which is a bit of a free for all.

Re: Are we now scared to lift our heads up?
Posted by: Stumpy7780 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:31

On the topic of yesterday I have to honestly say that I cannot put how I felt into words. I think I felt every single emotion imaginable from anger before the whistle to pure ecstasy when the final whistle went.

We the fans were incredible, the team were incredible and I donít think Iíve ever felt more connected to them. Seeing them cheer into the crowd at the end was amazing.

It actually makes me feel emotional just thinking about it now.

And for the record that does not mean I support the actions of the clubs management but as fans we have to support our team and our players through thick and thin.

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:36

Related to yesterday - during the warm up did you feel that the players looked a little subdued? They went through all their drills as per normal but there were very few smiles or jokes that I feel I usually see.

It may just be me looking for something that wasn't there and there was absolutely no questioning their commitment once the game kicked off.

Posted by: Keffer K (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:43

Lots of tears around us in the stand on the final whistle. Really something, and looks like the players felt it too. Which is the reason I went in the first place rather than sitting at home in a huff , so I'm happy smiling smiley

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 10:53

Never seen the players do a post match huddle before . And the reactions when the whistle went were much more intense even than when we won in Lyon.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:17

As a neutral it was a good game to watch. sarries came out fully charged on emotion, that wore off and Racing clawed their way back, sarries then wobbled, but regrouped in the final quarter and snuck the result with the late penalty. The crowd were loud and passionate and you could feel that atmosphere and emotion watching from afar.

Posted by: Duncan96 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:21

I missed out that very important point.

I have never felt so connected to the players. It was really a special moment at the end when they finished the game near the East Stand and many stood roaring at the crowd who were cheering back at them. Something I will remember for a long time.

As they made their lap of honour Maro Itoje, as just one example, really seemed to be saying thank you to the supporters (I know they always do but this was different. This wasnít just an obligation).

Nothing like it has happened at any of the cup winning finals Iíve attended.

Posted by: Chops3 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:22

The post match reactions were amazing, particularly from Faz and Wiggie. There was a lot of emotion amongst the team. It was also noticeable just how many people stayed after the final whistle to applaud the team walking around the pitch. I commented to my friends that it was great fun watching Sarries when we were average at best from 1999 to 2010, so there is no reason why it will not still be a lot of fun watching them rise again from the ashes in the next 5 years.

We don't have a huge fan base but I do think we have a fairly committed fan base and together we can get through these difficult times and have fun at the same time.

Posted by: flavman 35 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 11:39

To see wiggy going mental at the final whistle was great to see. We need to keep him to drive this club back up to where we are now.we stand at the south east corner and the players normally turn at the half way line to head back to the changing rooms, i did say to my mrs that they really need to go the whole way round this time and they did. The looked very interested in the crowd this time.
What a day. But hoarse now from all the shouting.

Posted by: BovvySarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:32

An excellent display, one that could not have been remotely matched by any other team in the PRL

Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:47

Scared to lift my head?

No!

If anything I wear my gear more often.

Let's go out like a lion, not like a lamb.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 13:28

It was a memorable day. I shed a tear as Maro, Owen, Wiggy et al thanked the support - goodness knows what was going through their minds. It was a special game too, swinging one way & t'other and great to chat with other fans over a few beers afterwards. I'm definitely staying, 20+ years is hard to jack in and think how much fun the away fixture in Jersey will be. We may bring more fans to some venues than the home support which would be ironic given our meagre numbers...
I've changed my nickname until we get relegated (then I'll change it back to BACK TO BLACK) because I'm extremely sorry about what's happened and I'm disgusted that PRL won't publish. We're about as deep in do-do as it gets (unless you are Tony Rowe) so let's have it out for all to see.
Europe now and then the Championship.
Time for real fans to stand up.

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 13:45

Quote:
BovvySarrie
An excellent display, one that could not have been remotely matched by any other team in the PRL

Probably because no other club in the PRL could field such a strong team legitimately?

Posted by: siNBin (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 14:58

Chris 1850

Posted by: Waldo (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 14:58

That game felt like a Final .

I guess in many ways it was - it will be the final European game at AzP for a while (or whatever it's called going forward should Allianz pull out ! )

The atmosphere was I think the best I've witness there and the plays walk around at the end was just special .

Posted by: KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:11

Quote:
BovvySarrie

Yeah, right (Sm22)

Posted by: warwick5763 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:28

God no. Going to Quins on Sunday and I went away to Glos. .

Posted by: The Substandard Biscuit (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:43

Went to Ospreys last week, and called in to Gloucester to stand in the Shed on the way back. Shed has a great atmosphere, particularly for a cold, wet evening game, and when Glaws get 5 points. But that yesterday at AzP was amazingly. Stronger, louder, and more emotional crowd than any of our finals (and I've been to them all).
I loved the moments when Captain Concrete jogged around the pitch at the end, applauding the crowd. Very emotional. Thanx Brad. Brilliant.
Just looked at the Championship table, with Newcastle gone most of those games are easily commutable so looking forward to visiting a set of new stadia, hope Reading get to go up into the Championship as well.

Incidentally, just listened to the BBC 'Saracens Special' RUW podcast. Dr V was on there, giving his insights. Quite interesting, and a little more balance bought to their debate than the 'chip on his shoulder' Danny Care, or Ego bring.
Until today I thought Monye was moderately intelligent, but he clearly just doesn't get the Saracens family culture thing, and has an amazing 'it's all about me' attitude when there was a discussion about players staying or leaving. (Interesting he admitted trying to leave Quins when they got relegated, despite being part of the problem, to further his own personal career. What a mercenary.)

Looking forward to going to Dublin, touring Ireland a bit, beating Leinster (again), having a few beers, and winning the Champions Cup again.

Ps. Why has (the expensive) Jamie Roberts just cleared off from Bath to the Stormers in South Africa ??? Not sure it fits with his medical career/studies. Bit strange. Maybe we could be playing Bath next year too ? Maybe all those L.I. imports are quite expensive ?

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 17:10

Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
Just looked at the Championship table, with Newcastle gone most of those games are easily commutable so looking forward to visiting a set of new stadia,....

Just to set expectations - stadia may well be too strong a word to describe Dillingham Park (Ampthill). Make sure you bring your walking boots and expect to get them muddy. Also they have to kick off early during the winter months due to not having flood lights!

Posted by: Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 17:16

Quote:
daz_71
Quote:
The Substandard Biscuit
Just looked at the Championship table, with Newcastle gone most of those games are easily commutable so looking forward to visiting a set of new stadia,....

Just to set expectations - stadia may well be too strong a word to describe Dillingham Park (Ampthill). Make sure you bring your walking boots and expect to get them muddy. Also they have to kick off early during the winter months due to not having flood lights!

I'm actually getting quite excited!

Current Page: 1 of 2
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net