Why is it ?
Posted by: greenwood (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:03

That Saracens, who have been caught cheating via the salary cap wotsit and are being relegated to a lower division (Fact) are allowed to play that squad, which is being overpaid, in a competition that doesn't allow that very thing.
When the results being obtained by that bunch of overpaid players is affecting where the oppo's finish in the league and therefore affecting the top 4 and top 6.
Or have I missed something.

I'll post this on both Wasps and Saracens sites and we'll see what the difference is in the answers !

Re: Why is it ?
Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:11

Being completely objective, it does seem that its impossible to announce in January that a team will be relegated at the end of the season, and expect the integrity of the league not to be compromised.

Its hard to argue that Sarries will, whatever their best intentions, be as focussed/bothered about their results in a league that can offer no reward for their endeavours.

Posted by: Chilham (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:15

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the whole salary cap issue, it does seem to be handled poorly. Gives the impression they're making it up as they go along. I guess is a function of regulations that never anticipated this kind of transgression.

Posted by: BovvySarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:21

Have absolutely zero interest in PRL this season so who cares.

Fight amongst yourselves.

If I have any interest it is in seeing Sarries blood in some young players who are likely to still be with Sarries in September.

Next season in the PRL the only possible interest is whether they manage to bring in a ring-fenced league before Sarries can get promoted, assuming we can get promoted after our sponsors go and we are reliant on a benevolent Wray family and minimal gate returns.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 12:22 by BovvySarrie.

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:29

This has been raised on Saints forum in middle of another thread and it is a good question for debate not to score points!

The challenge now is, I am sure Saracens are likely to put all their focus on European Cup and that away game in Leinster and if any team can beat Leinster in Leinsters its Saracens...

So I think opposite to Greenwood... the teams that now have to face Saracens may actually have got it easier, now Sarries have changed their focus?...they may be doing a Leinster and resting players prior to Europe cup games? I have said MAY do, I don't know, just my opinion.

So teams maybe able to get points out of league fixtures that they may not have been able to prior to knowing relegation was happening and with this years league as tight as was last season in the crucial place it could have an affect... so in theory it could affect the Top4 and qualifications, Top 6 and European places... so could have financial implications for clubs???

One suggestion from our forum, was just make games friendlies, no points up for grabs, it would be only fair way... even if it does affect us and chiefs more?

Agree with Chilham, hasn't really been thought through properly has it and yet another feck up to come from this whole sorry mess.....

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:37

In a rather perverse sort of a way, its an opportunity for Saracens to start building bridges, to start gaining trust again. By being "honest" in their approach to these games, despite being meaningless to them other than maintaining fitness for the European games, they might start the atonement process

Posted by: MaroonTyke2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:41

Quote:
Neil-H

One suggestion from our forum, was just make games friendlies, no points up for grabs, it would be only fair way

+1

I wonder how the Premiership table would have looked if this was applied to the last 3 yrs?!

Posted by: DoubleChampions (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:42

Quote:
myleftboot
In a rather perverse sort of a way, its an opportunity for Saracens to start building bridges, to start gaining trust again. By being "honest" in their approach to these games, despite being meaningless to them other than maintaining fitness for the European games, they might start the atonement process

I have no doubt MM will have next seasons squad in mind and will be playing players accordingly.

Posted by: Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:57

What happens to the Prem Cup now with our relegation? We have a semi final to play. If we win the trophy what happens then given our toxicity. Do the PRL change the regulations again to remove us from the competition?

Posted by: Neil-H (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 13:07

Quote:
DoubleChampions
Quote:
myleftboot

I have no doubt MM will have next seasons squad in mind and will be playing players accordingly.

But surely that is a disadvantage to all teams that have already played you and your strongest team available while playing for survival??? so that could impact the league table and qualifications etc that go with it?

I know you could give the rest of the league the middle finger but is this good for Saracens and rugby going forward? As Myleftfoot say, maybe time to start the atonement... but who could blame you for resting players for Europe??

And interesting question re Premiership Cup?!?!?

Posted by: maynas (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 15:13

Yes one does wonder but surely the PRL will have a solution, probably to be implemented in June. On the good side for the other 11 clubs several of them can rest easy at night now they dont face relegation no matter the results. Iím sure London Irish are very grateful that their new stadium wont be christened in the Championship and a couple of DoRs wont now lose their jobs. Maybe PRL has a view. Iím sure BT Sport is a bit miffed , because as the seasons carries on their usual relegation battles wont exist to be televised. League will be pretty much over several rounds before the playoffs. WIll at least let everyone see how bland ringfencing would be! Lots of consequences, whatís your solution, more your problem than ours?

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net