Current Page: 1 of 3
TOXIC
Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:23

It is toxic out there.

Saracens and their players are pariahs.

Given the bitter words from the owners of the other English premiership club (brizzle the most recent on Talksport this morning), which owner will welcome a Saracen player with open arms?

We are told that tony rowe has not finished and brizzleman this morning said there is still more to come

Whose supporters will truly back a former 'SarrieGate' player?

Which Saracen players that joined the club as a child, went through the academy, worked their way into starting XV, won domestic and European trophies with the Men In Black will comfortably pull on another premiership club jersey?

The only place for our players, should they choose to leave Saracens, is France, Japan, Australia or NewZealand (and in Maro's case the NFL).

All the above choices will be the end of their England careers so why not cease England now?

Eddie has selected 7 Saracens players this morning and I would love for them to send him a letter saying "thanks for considering me for the job but on reflection I feel my career is now in a different place."

Let's face it, how many other premiership club supporters will truly back a Sarrigate players in an England jersey?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/01/2020 12:26 by boomer!.

Re: TOXIC
Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:38

Oh, I was kinda hoping for some sort of Britney Spears dance. Rather disappointed now!

Posted by: DoubleChampions (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:41

I am sure if the price is right any clubs fans will accept a Saracens player if it improves their lot on the pitch.

+1

Posted by: MaroonTyke2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 12:48

Quote:
boomer!

The only place for our players, should they choose to leave Saracens, is France, Japan, Australia or NewZealand (and in Maro's case the NFL).

Plus Wales, Scotland & Ireland. English clubs have probably already made their plans for next season leaving little scope for adding additional high cost players to their squads.

Date: 20 January, 2020 12:51

Quote:
myleftboot
Oh, I was kinda hoping for some sort of Britney Spears dance. Rather disappointed now!

Haha, I was tempted to post a spicy piccy of Brits The Wonder Kid too but didn't want to be responsible for giving anyone a heart attack on Blue Monday.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 13:00

Unless it can be proven that the players concerned were complicit and knowledgeable about co-investments I don't think there'll be much backlash. This is perceived as senior management chicanery first and foremost. The players job is to play their hearts out which is what they've done week in week out. As far as I'm aware (but we know nothing until the PRL publish what they should) there was nothing so crude as basic salary over-payments it was convoluted and complex "mistake" making! (Sm161)

Date: 20 January, 2020 13:18

Quote:
Sorry Sarrie
Unless it can be proven that the players concerned were complicit and knowledgeable about co-investments I don't think there'll be much backlash. This is perceived as senior management chicanery first and foremost. The players job is to play their hearts out which is what they've done week in week out. As far as I'm aware (but we know nothing until the PRL publish what they should) there was nothing so crude as basic salary over-payments it was convoluted and complex "mistake" making! (Sm161)

I never suggested there being complicity from players......but we all know how myopic opposing supporters are and I stand by my view that it is still more than a matter of putting money in the bank and bread on the table. Our guys have done their all for Saracens and are probably now being forced to seek alternative employment by the very same people who forced through the second motion/ultimatum against Saracens last week.

Players come and go on a regular basis but this is different.

Posted by: StPo (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 14:04

Quote:
boomer!

Saints fan in peace - indeed, this is my first post on any of the salary cap threads on your board. As a huge NFL fan (EAGLES!) where do you see Maro fitting into the NFL? Running back? Wide reciever?

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 14:33

Quote:
StPo
Saints fan in peace - indeed, this is my first post on any of the salary cap threads on your board. As a huge NFL fan (EAGLES!) where do you see Maro fitting into the NFL? Running back? Wide reciever?

I see the Maro and NFL comments a lot and just do not understand why they keep being repeated. Maro is a fantastic RUGBY player! I don't ever see him going to NFL. He's not quick enough to be a running back, Wide Receiver, Cornerback or probably a Linebacker. The only possible position would be tight end.

Also, as far as I am aware he has never played American Football so is he willing to give up 2-3 years of a short career to learn a game that he might not make it at - no chance! Christian Wade got a lot of coverage over here for one TD and one decent run in pre-season. It was still no where near good enough to make it on to the Bill's roster. I don't think think British sports fans understand the complexity of American Football and how hard it is to make their playing roster particularly if you have never played the game. Just because the ball is the same shape doesn't mean you will be any good at it. In many ways even mentioning it is actually disrespectful to American Football!

Posted by: Wilson Pickett (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 14:37

Ridiculous post, as a Saints fan I will support whoever in the England jersey

Maro and NFL is a joke. The only rugby guys that will succeed at his age are special teams punt returners...

there is just too much technique and rules knowledge to catch up 15 years worth of learning overnight

Posted by: Cereal Killer (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 15:08

Can everyone make sure they run any posts past Wilson please. Any more of the ridiculous posts and he might be tempted to go back to his own message board. :-)

Date: 20 January, 2020 15:20

Quote:
Cereal Killer
Can everyone make sure they run any posts past Wilson please. Any more of the ridiculous posts and he might be tempted to go back to his own message board. :-)

To be fair I agree with WP

Posted by: Primavesi2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 15:28

Fans are fickle. If your team has the chance to sign a quality player you very quickly forget about any past transgressions.

Schalk Burger and Calum Clark were not exactly popular characters among sarries fans before we signed them. I very much doubt a Tigers fan would be complaining if they had Maro Itoje or Mako Vuinipola playing for them!

Posted by: Cereal Killer (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:31

Quote:
daz_71
Quote:
Cereal Killer

To be fair I agree with WP

Maybe but why start a comment with “Ridiculous post”? Just unnecessary and sums up why this board is such a toxic place at then moment, despite the best efforts of the mods who are doing a great job.

Date: 20 January, 2020 16:41

Quote:
StPo
Quote:
boomer!

Linebacker or Tightend or maybe Fullback

I don't think he is right shape or has the all out speed for a WR. In the running backs position the RB tends to be shorter/smaller, whereas the FB are tallers and the FB duties can also include blocking as well as power running and catching.

Date: 20 January, 2020 16:46

Quote:
Wilson Pickett
Ridiculous post, as a Saints fan...………………...

Coming onto the Saracens message board is optional, not obligatory.

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:52

Quote:
StPo
Quote:
boomer!

Not NFL - I'm with Wilson that there's too much to learn wherever he could play.

NRL on the other hand - he'd make a damn good loose forward ... not that i think he'd be interested - but for sure he could make the transition. RL has nowhere near the technical factors of Union, especially as a forward.

Posted by: Primavesi2 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 17:13

Don´t forget fellow lock Hayden Smith got picked up by the Jets as a tight end and actually played in the regular season and made a reception so it is definitely possible for a rugby player to pick the game up.

Christian Wade has been retained by the Bills for next season in the development squad I believe.

Date: 20 January, 2020 17:32

Quote:
Primavesi2
Don´t forget fellow lock Hayden Smith got picked up by the Jets as a tight end and actually played in the regular season and made a reception so it is definitely possible for a rugby player to pick the game up.
Christian Wade has been retained by the Bills for next season in the development squad I believe.

No one says it would be easy, but Maro is smart and he is young enough to learn.

Date: 20 January, 2020 17:35

Quote:
Primavesi2

Sorry I''m not trying to be argumentative but yes I'm fully aware of what Hayden Smith did. He wasn't over there longs though was he and if I remember correctly did he not go to a U.S. college before he came to rugby?

Yes you are correct about Wade but at 28(?) I'd be surprised if we saw him make the Bill's playing roster. If Maro is happy being a nobody earning a lot less than he is earning now then good luck to him. I just think he should carry on playing a game that he excels at not a sport where he will purely be making up the numbers!

Current Page: 1 of 3
This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net