Eggchasers Latest Podcast
Posted by: AB (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 16:31

Very interesting comments by JB fully sympathetic to our predicament and thinking the penalty very harsh

Re: Eggchasers Latest Podcast
Posted by: Eurosarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 20 January, 2020 19:16

Check out Radio 5 Live Rugby Union Weekly podcast "Saracens Special". BV giving a really interesting (insider) view on the whole affair. He makes some very interesting points, some factual and others experienced understanding of the Saracens approach.

Posted by: daz_71 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 10:51

Quote:
AB
Very interesting comments by JB fully sympathetic to our predicament and thinking the penalty very harsh

I just listened and given JB's interest in rugby and the fact he is a qualified financial advisor the comments were very interesting. Obviously without the transparency no one, including JB, know the full details but that hasn't stopped the expert fans from most of the other clubs coming on here and giving us chapter and verse of what 'we' have done wrong!

I still think there may be more to come that won't just be about Saracens. PRL have not whetted the appetite of sports journalists the length of the country!

Posted by: Primavesi2 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 10:58

I honestly don´t think JB has a clue what he is talking about. If he really thinks its simple a case of join investments in houses on roughly commercial terms then he is very very naive. More likely he is just trying to be contrarian and controversial because he thinks thats his thing.

What is true is that none of us really know the full extent of what has happened, but the fact the club have accepted relegation suggests it is a lot more than simple differences related to interpretation around some co investments.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 11:12

Quote:
Primavesi2
More likely he is just trying to be contrarian and controversial because he thinks thats his thing.

He talks as much tripe as Stephen Jones....the only difference being that JB is doing is knowingly (presumably for commercial/profile purposes), whilst Jones is firmly in the 'old man shouts at cloud' camp.

Posted by: Wayoutwest (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 13:19

Sorry but Alex Primavesi How do YOU know Brendan and Stephen Jones are wrong? You know nothing more about the detail than the rest of us. They could be right or wrong but to simply dismiss it when you don't know yourself the details would seem a bit ridiculous. Just because it doesn't fit your version of whats gone on. We don't know the details.

Its a version and hopefully time will tell when the report is leaked by someone.

Brendan at least has worked at the club and knows what was going on internally so I am interested in what he has to say.

There is too much of this putting down of alternative views and people on social media "if your view is not my view then its rubbish, and you are rubbish"

Fed up with people telling me what my opinion should be.

Rant over, I feel better.

Posted by: Grins (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 13:37

I think JB takes contrarian positions because that is what makes the pod work. One of those three always does.

Stephen Jones went so far out on a limb when the story broke that he had nowhere else to go this weekend. He does not seem to be the sort to write a column admitting he got something wrong!

Venter was interesting, I didn't agree with everything he said but he makes a reasonably fair point when he said that the judgement was made in November and therefore how could the club be compliant for this season. It was disappointing that he was not questioned on why the club statement seemed to indicate compliance with this season's salary cap when it seems that is not the case.

However, it was also naive / reckless of the club not to check the interpretation of co-investments with the SCM before doing them. I suspect it was a case of "don't ask in case we get the wrong answer" backed by advice from accountants / lawyers (who in my experience have a habit of telling you what you want to hear unless it is an obvious breach).

Posted by: Roderick Flashheart (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 13:42

I was alerted to, and watched, a podcast by "Three Blokes, A Ball and BOD" last night on the current state of affairs.

It was a very measured coversation with some good points all round, and just a little banter. Well worth a watch (I found it on Facebook) and also interesting to see views from over the water.

Posted by: GHA (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 13:43

Quote:
Wayoutwest
We don't know the details.

Sarries' powers-that-be know the details though, don't they? The ones who have accepted relegation as punishment?

Date: 21 January, 2020 14:18

Quote:
GHA
Quote:
Wayoutwest
We don't know the details.

Sarries' powers-that-be know the details though, don't they? The ones who have accepted relegation as punishment?

Yes that is true, however IF the salary cap break is due to co-investments and the image rights valuation as said on the Eggchasers podcast there would be no way to get under it this season and there was no appeals process. Now that is a big 'IF' hence the bolding and underlining. It would also be more closer aligned to Nigel Wray's comments back in November after the original verdict.

Posted by: AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
Date: 21 January, 2020 14:54

Quote:
Wayoutwest
Sorry but Alex Primavesi How do YOU know Brendan and Stephen Jones are wrong? You know nothing more about the detail than the rest of us. They could be right or wrong but to simply dismiss it when you don't know yourself the details would seem a bit ridiculous. Just because it doesn't fit your version of whats gone on. We don't know the details.
Its a version and hopefully time will tell when the report is leaked by someone.

Brendan at least has worked at the club and knows what was going on internally so I am interested in what he has to say.

There is too much of this putting down of alternative views and people on social media "if your view is not my view then its rubbish, and you are rubbish"

Fed up with people telling me what my opinion should be.

Rant over, I feel better.

You ok, hun?

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 14:39

Gonna call it now, today's House of Rugby will be described as "apologist rubbish"

Posted by: 1876-Fez (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 16:16

Quote:
Sarriebone
Gonna call it now, today's House of Rugby will be described as "apologist rubbish"

It was good to hear from 2 players who have no association with Saracens (unlike Big Jim and Tubby Goode) and hear their views on it...... but as you say some people will trash them...

SUPPORT Help for Heroes:
Help for Heroes

Date: 22 January, 2020 16:23

Quote:
1876-Fez
Quote:
Sarriebone

It was good to hear from 2 players who have no association with Saracens (unlike Big Jim and Tubby Goode) and hear their views on it...... but as you say some people will trash them...

Just listened and found their take very interesting.

Posted by: maynas (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 18:46

Interesting too to hear today’s Rugby Pod interview with BV. Seems he thought we were very close to being under the cap taking into account long term injuries. Also suggested we took relegation as the alternative could drag on a year and mess up so many lives and it drew a line under the issue now.

Posted by: Marlow Nick (IP Logged)
Date: 22 January, 2020 19:16

Venter had the same line. Almost under the cap if (by £500k) if you ignore 3 player's salaries due to injuries. So what he seems to be saying Saracens started the season over the cap by 3 whole players plus £500k... Spin spin spin

Posted by: JO'G (IP Logged)
Date: 23 January, 2020 17:09

this is completely normal

you expect to have say 20% injury during the season; so you start the season at 125% of the cap (expecting / hoping) that your injuries through the season took you down to the 99% mark

before you say this is tosh, I run projects for banks and I do exactly the same for contractors. the original purchase order means they work 52 x 5 days in the year. Obvs they have days off, get sick, go to dentist and end up working around 47 x 5.

Posted by: Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
Date: 24 January, 2020 16:03

This thread is now closed. Please post all issues re salary cap/report etc on sticky thread above

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net