Current Page: 1 of 2
Hooking crisis
Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 20:04

I have huge concerns over the ability of all our hookers apart from Jamie to play at the top level. Over recent years we have had the likes of Tolafua, Sharman & Jared Saunders all struggling to hit their man at the set piece. Now, seemingly Wolfenscroft, Singleton, Gray and Pifeleti are struggling whenever they are given the opportunity.

Next year will be a good opportunity for one of these guys to nail down a spot. Pifeleti looks to have some good potential. Or is it time to cut a clean break with this batch and look to sign a younger option for when we return to the top flight?

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Re: Hooking crisis
Posted by: Darraghgirl (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 20:13

Singleton was in the England World Cup Squad! What has happened?

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 20:23

Not sure DarraghGirl, Jack has really struggled back at Sarries. Unfortunately the lineout has been a complete mess this season without Jamie.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Posted by: The Bard (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 20:38

I think its not just the throwing, but the choice of play and timing. When George Kruis plays it is quick, simple and crisp. Not sure who runs it in his absence, but an awful amount of work required.

Posted by: OhMaroItoje (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 21:09

Quote:
The Bard
I think its not just the throwing, but the choice of play and timing. When George Kruis plays it is quick, simple and crisp. Not sure who runs it in his absence, but an awful amount of work required.

+1 Singleton has been pretty decent when Kruis is calling imo

Posted by: KT8Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 26 January, 2020 21:22

As Big Jim has said on the Rugby Pod in the past, the Booker gets all the blame but it is a complex machine and issues can arise with calling, jumping and timing as well as throwing in.

Posted by: TonyTaff (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2020 11:22

It has been reported that Nick Isekwe was calling the line. I didn't notice who was ...

... but I was watching on my phone in a noisy pub!

721.05 (*) donated to the Saracens Foundation due to visits to the Sarries frontpage [www.rugbynetwork.net]

Please read and submit articles for publication.

(*) As at October 31, 2018.

Posted by: nedrichards (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2020 14:08

TonyTaff: Nick normally calls for that unit yeah. The number of quick low throws that hit the back of players that just weren't ready was the real warning sign for me. But Jack has not been good at all. He looks very "first period Skelton" someone who has all the tools but just isn't putting them together in the right way quite yet.

Certainly it's not entirely surprising that moving from a Lions hooker and second row combo to anything else results in a dropoff, but to me it's the loss of back row options like Rhodes that have really hurt our second unit this year. McSaracens is right though, this feels right out of the mid 2000's crisis periods, maybe Robbie Russel at hooker, Simon Shaw getting a hat trick at vicarage road, those kinds of 'making memories'.

Posted by: BlackheathSarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 27 January, 2020 14:42

Quote:
Darraghgirl
Singleton was in the England World Cup Squad! What has happened?

The brutal truth is he should probably never have been in it. He's a young guy with masses of potential but I am not sure he was ever third best hooker in English terms even taking into account it's relatively thin pickings for Jones after George and LCD.

KT8Sarrie. Hamilton is right that the lineout has lots of moving parts and it's too easy to blame the hooker and there was certainly a major issue with the calls, how often do you see the ball thrown and no one even lifted in professional rugby? I think we saw it twice. It improved slightly when Woolstencroft cam on but only because calling blatantly not straight lineouts isn't a thing referees do much anymore.

Lineout is too important in the game and to us especially for the coaches not to treat this seriously. Even in the Championship I am not sure we have the time tio wait for one of the understudies to George to improve significantly. The reality is we need to find a player with sound basics and if needs be let others go to accommodate that.

It was a bad day at the office but even so I am rarely embarrassed by a Saracens playing performance. I was by that lineout one though.

Posted by: ROLLO (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2020 19:34

Singleton was pretty accurate at Wuss so somethig has gone awry.

Posted by: tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
Date: 28 January, 2020 19:46

I suspect it was mental - however professional you are the recent shenanigans will have had an unfortunate effect on all of them.

Posted by: nicsue (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 15:07

I read that Luke Cown-Dickie has left England training camp due to personal reasons. Next man in camp is Dunn(?) with Singleton on standby. Hmmmm - good luck Eddie.

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 29 January, 2020 15:47

Quote:
nicsue
I read that Luke Cown-Dickie has left England training camp due to personal reasons. Next man in camp is Dunn(?) with Singleton on standby. Hmmmm - good luck Eddie.

Jack has been called nto the squad now

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 09:13

I guess age counts against Yeandle this early in a WC cycle. If 3 internationally capped hookers is a crisis, we clearly aren't recruiting right!

Posted by: paulglynn (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 11:03

Just seen that joe gray has gone to quins for the rest of this season on reading the report on the fish it looks like he is going at the end of the season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/01/2020 11:21 by paulglynn.

Date: 30 January, 2020 13:50

Didn't he come from Quins?

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 14:15

Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Sort of, he was out of contract and wanted somewhere to train if I recall correctly

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 15:40

Quote:
Sarriebone
Quote:
tpr's headmistress
Sort of, he was out of contract and wanted somewhere to train if I recall correctly

Yup, think that's spot on.

BB

Date: 30 January, 2020 17:16

So, we didn't 'steal' him away then, but did him a favour. Well, imagine that!

Posted by: Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
Date: 30 January, 2020 18:39

Quote:
tpr's headmistress
So, we didn't 'steal' him away then, but did him a favour. Well, imagine that!

Indeed, if I remember correctly.

BB

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net