25000 Euro fine but no points deducted.

So we play Leinster.

Very surprised I have to say.

Re: EPCR ruling out
Posted by: GazzaFez (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 21:32

The full decision.................

Saracens fined €50,000

Saracens have been fined €50,000 (euro), €25,000 of which is suspended until the end of the 2020/21 season, following an independent Disciplinary Hearing in London on the evening of Friday, 7 February, arising from the club’s Heineken Champions Cup, Round 6 match against Racing 92.

Saracens had informed EPCR earlier this week that one of their established players, USA international Titi Lamositele, who was named in the match day squad, and who came on to the field of play as a replacement in the 60th minute of the fixture at Allianz Park, may have been ineligible due an inadvertent administrative error on behalf of the club.

As this error may have constituted a breach of the Disciplinary Rules of its 2019/20 Participation Agreement, EPCR decided to bring a misconduct complaint against Saracens and the complaint was heard by an independent Disciplinary Committee consisting of Roger Morris (Wales), Chair, Pamela Woodman (Scotland) and Jean-Noel Couraud (France).

The Committee considered submissions from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan, from the Saracens Chairman, Neil Golding, and from the club’s legal representative, Paul Harris QC.

The Committee heard that Lamositele was eligible for the Heineken Champions Cup, Round 6 fixture against Racing 92 when Saracens announced their match day squad on Friday, 17 January.

It was also explained that between the time of the match day squad announcement and the match itself on Sunday, 19 January, Lamositele’s work permit expired and that Saracens were not aware of this due to an administrative oversight.

The Committee accepted that Lamositele’s work permit had expired unbeknownst to the club, and that Saracens had not sought to gain any unfair advantage by selecting the player.

The Committee then decided to uphold the misconduct complaint as Saracens had breached EPCR’s Disciplinary Rules, and a fine of €50,000 was imposed on the club.

Chair of the independent Disciplinary Committee, Roger Morris, said: “Following careful consideration of a complaint involving a player who has been contracted to Saracens since 2014, and who remains contracted to the club, the Committee believes that this was an unfortunate sequence of events brought about by an administrative oversight. However, Saracens are in breach of the Disciplinary Rules of the Heineken Champions Cup, and that breach constitutes misconduct which can be proportionately dealt with by way of a financial penalty.”

Both Saracens and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.

Notes

a) Independent Disciplinary Committees are chosen by the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Panel, Mike Hamlin.
b) EPCR’s Disciplinary Officer presents the case against the club/individual.
c) All parties to the hearing (EPCR and the club/individual) have the right to appeal decisions of the independent Disciplinary Committee. Appeals must be lodged within three working days of receiving the full written decision from the Chairman of the independent Disciplinary Committee.
d) The full written decision of the independent Disciplinary Committee will be available on this page when the disciplinary process is complete.

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 22:06

A cynic would suggest that was the convenient decision. A massive clanger, but clearly was just that, a mistake. I thank the IRB, sorry I meant EPRC. Thank Thanos Munster didn't stand to gaon

Date: 07 February, 2020 23:14

Quote:
myleftboot
A cynic would suggest that was the convenient decision. A massive clanger, but clearly was just that, a mistake. I thank the IRB, sorry I meant EPRC. Thank Thanos Munster didn't stand to gaon

I suspect that because the issue came to light so late in the day (in relative terms) that any reallocation of points, depending on how and by how many, could have screwed up the Qtr final fixtures so much that potentially many thousands of fans who have bought tickets, booked hotels and flights could have been out of pocket. Then the sh*t would really have hit the fan. This provides an easy out and in all honesty a more proportionate punishment than we might have expected.

Posted by: Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 23:28

Those of us with a bit of compassion felt very uneasy when this came to light, like the final torches of a witch hunt.

Now it has been sorted please go and beat Leincester.

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 07 February, 2020 23:41

Thanks Ex Falcon. Fingers crossed, feels like the final, the winner has to beat a French team, but the hard work is done

Posted by: fatheralice (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 00:06

I notice Titi was named on the bench the following week against Quins in the Prem.

As this error has only just been notified to EPRC, it does raise the question of whether he was eligible to play in that match? If the paperwork was done prior to that Quins game, I wonder why the delay in notifying EPRC?

Maybe PRL will take a look....!

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 00:13

The fine is entirely justified since Titi was ineligible on the Sunday of the match.

If the permit expired between Fridays squad announcement and Sundays match then it's quite possible the expiry was midnight Saturday.

Almost certainly cock-up rather than conspiracy IMHO - if the match were Saturday Titi may well have been legally playing.

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 00:31

Quote:
fatheralice
I notice Titi was named on the bench the following week against Quins in the Prem.
As this error has only just been notified to EPRC, it does raise the question of whether he was eligible to play in that match? If the paperwork was done prior to that Quins game, I wonder why the delay in notifying EPRC?

Maybe PRL will take a look....!

I'n sure they will - but if the last few years are any guide it won't be until about 2024, and the punishment (stripping of our 2023 title followed by relegation) announced in round 14 of matches ....

Date: 08 February, 2020 00:49

Quote:
fatheralice

What makes you think this has only just been notified and what makes you think there was a delay? Remember there was no rugby in any competition for us last week and the Quins game was only the week before. If Titi had his work permit by then, EPCR had two full weeks to arrange the hearing. There would be no rush when there wasn't another ECC match taking place.

Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 03:46

We should consider ourselves very fortunate indeed.

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 04:00

Just read this in the Torygraph;

7 FEBRUARY 2020 • 11:02 PM
Saracens breathed a sigh of relief on Friday night as their season was spared from going into a tailspin over the fielding of ineligible prop, Titi Lamositele, in their Champions Cup pool match against Racing 92 at Allianz Park.

Fascinated to hear that our season has been spared from going into a tailspin. Phew.....

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Posted by: TOKS (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 04:24

It's been so long since we've seen an impartial panel that we had probably forgotten what one looked like!

Posted by: The Bard (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 07:42

Quote:
TOKS
It's been so long since we've seen an impartial panel that we had probably forgotten what one looked like!
I suspect the Premiership panels make General Melchett at the ‘Flanders Pigeon Murder’ trial look impartial!

Posted by: AnneGran (IP Logged)
Date: 08 February, 2020 12:26

So pleased they reached the correct decision. As stated we did not gain any unfair advantage. We have already booked our hotel and our tickets arrived in the post on Friday ( I paid for fast delivery gift pack). We live out in the country and the post can be very hit and miss. We are looking forward to meeting up with Sarries again. Come and make a lot of noise I can't do it on my own.

Fly the flag.
AnneGran

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net