Current Page: 1 of 2
Player News
Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 13 February, 2020 17:06

Was going to post this in the other Player thread but as that's been closed I've started a new one, hopefully we can keep this one free of insults and stick to the topic.

UltimateRugby are reporting that Jamie G will be staying with us next year: [www.ultimaterugby.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2020 17:12 by Sarriebone.

Re: Player News
Posted by: Sorry Sarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 07:33

And the Beeb with interesting comments from Maro and Mako
[www.bbc.co.uk]

My wife and I are on the verge of splitting up because of my obsession with rugby.
I've decided to give it one last try......

Posted by: MyCupRunnethOver (IP Logged)
Date: 14 February, 2020 10:46

Interesting how the "players life after rugby" argument was lost in all of the twitter rage. From these comments it was certainly front and center of their thoughts.
Ah well, onwards and upwards

Date: 14 February, 2020 17:05

Fiji prop Mawi signs as injury cover
[www.saracens.com]

Date: 15 February, 2020 23:16

Elliot Daly becomes the latest major England star to publicly pledge allegiance to Saracens

[www.rugbypass.com]

Posted by: Steve_M (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 01:19

This isnt posted to antagonise ... (although I'm sure it will)

I dont understand why some posters appear surprised that your 'top' players are pledging support for the club and saying they will commit their futures, stay with Sarries through thick and thin etc. They appear to have been well looked after, won trophies, had their futures sorted post rugby and done very well out of things. They probably owe Wray a lot and pledging their support now I would think is the least they could do.

Am I the only person who worries that without Wrays 'co-investment' deal, Maro would have struggled financially post rugby ? [sorry, sarcasm].

By the way, your boys played well last night.

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 03:09

Steve, I'm certainly not offended by your post and can't see why anyone else should be either - it's a valid way to see the situation.

What I would say is that when we stated our belief that the club didn't sign/retain players **purely** with financial incentives alone, the vast majority of rival fans dismissed the thought out of hand. No, I don't believe that anyone signed for less than their salary at their former club - but it's not so outlandish to believe that some were willing to turn down increases from their club to join us. Daly and Carre are two examples where it's been said that they'd turned down better offers to stay, but left anyway - there may be others.

Mr Wray's investments were essential to Maro, of course. Without them, he'd surely be destined for a life dressed in rags, on the street with only a dog for company whilst busking for a few coppers ....

... and yes, an excellent win in the absence of our 6N contingent.

Posted by: Convex Hull (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 08:34

I believe Jim Hamilton said that he took a 50% pay cut to join Saracens.
J

Regardez mon visage. Suis-je bovvered?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2020 14:10 by Convex Hull.

Date: 16 February, 2020 13:22

England and Saracens backrow Ben Earl looks likely to sign a loan deal with Bristol Bears that will see him spend next season in the West Country.

[www.rugbypass.com]

Posted by: AlanE (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 17:15

Quote:
Sarriebone
England and Saracens backrow Ben Earl looks likely to sign a loan deal with Bristol Bears that will see him spend next season in the West Country.
[www.rugbypass.com]

And a little footnote in that article says that Elliot Daly is the latest player after Jamie George to pledge allegiance to Sarries

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Date: 16 February, 2020 17:22

Quote:
AlanE
Quote:
Sarriebone
[www.rugbypass.com]

And a little footnote in that article says that Elliot Daly is the latest player after Jamie George to pledge allegiance to Sarries

Yup, posted that further up the thread [www.rugbypass.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2020 17:24 by Sarriebone.

Posted by: AlanE (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 17:29

Ooops, yes. Sorry - missed that.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Posted by: Static (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 17:41

Only thing on reading the article is that while Daly may be staying his words don't make it seem like he is enthused to be doing that when he says he is still in contract. I hope that players who do remain do so because they want to and not just because their contract says they must. I don't blame anyone wanting to keep playing in the premiership, especially some of the players starting their careers like Earl.

Posted by: Eric Browett (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 18:00

Obviously same interview given to different outlets. In the one I read he says he doesn't regret coming to Saracens and sounds quite upbeat.

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 19:09

Quote:
Static
Only thing on reading the article is that while Daly may be staying his words don't make it seem like he is enthused to be doing that when he says he is still in contract. I hope that players who do remain do so because they want to and not just because their contract says they must. I don't blame anyone wanting to keep playing in the premiership, especially some of the players starting their careers like Earl.

Static, I read it differently.

To me, the significance of his mentioning being in contract simply means that he doesn't have to negotiate a contract to remain at the club. Assuming that Saracens want him to stay, that's not something which need immediately concern him - otherwise he seems keen to take on the challenges ahead.

Remember also that as a Test Lion he's also been pretty much on an endless treadmill for the last three years or so. Come the end of next season he'll benefit hugely from only playing p'raps 20-25 matches rather than 40-45.

Posted by: BlackheathSarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 19:24

I think it's easy to read these things a number of ways. FWIW it sounded positive to me but if he decides that his future lies elsewhere I'll wish him the best. If he sticks around I hope that he can fulfil the huge potential he has as a player by addressing some of the weaker aspects of his game whilst still delivering on his strengths.

Posted by: Steve_M (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 22:02

Now signing alec Clarey TH prop from Jersey ...

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 08:55

The Mail has Earl, Isiekwe, Spencer, Losowski and Singleton all leaving at the end of the season in some capacity or another (other than Earl on loan at Bristol it doesn't which might be loans). Also has Vincent Koch at 50:50 and (surprisingly) Wigglesworth possibly going as well.

Posted by: Garp285 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 09:31

Quote:
#wolfpack
The Mail has Earl, Isiekwe, Spencer, Losowski and Singleton all leaving at the end of the season in some capacity or another (other than Earl on loan at Bristol it doesn't which might be loans). Also has Vincent Koch at 50:50 and (surprisingly) Wigglesworth possibly going as well.
I read that report and it has absolutely no substance to it at all, just opinion. I'm not saying some or all of these moves won't happen but the ones mentioned are just the most likely to go for various reasons. The article is fine, it's an opinion piece, it's the headline that annoys me - as if all these were done deals.

Posted by: Barty II (IP Logged)
Date: 20 February, 2020 09:40

An article from the Mail last month had this as the list of leavers, with a core of England players staying on reduced game time (which the likes of the Vunipolas would really benefit from!) - think it actually makes a lot of sense to be honest:

Liam Williams (confirmed - Scarlets)
Matt Gallagher (confirmed - Munster)
Titi Lamositele (French press saying signed for Montpellier)
Ben Earl (loan)
Vincent Koch
George Kruis
Will Skelton
Sean Maitland
Nick Tompkins
Ben Spencer (possible loan)
Juan Figallo
Rhys Carre
Duncan Taylor
Jack Singleton (possible loan)
Alex Lozowski (possible loan)
Nick Isiekwe (possible loan)
Mike Rhodes
Richard Wigglesworth (coaching?)
Alex Lewington
Max Malins (possible loan)
Calum Clark
Ali Crossdale

Joel Kpoku is an interesting one, the move to Saints was all but a done deal however the likelihood of Kruis, Skelton & Isiekwe going gives him an opportunity to establish himself as a key figure and suggestion is he's up for that. If all that's true, our squad without additions would be as below. Pretty solid still really; although there's some really promising players there I'd say some experience of the Championship is needed at lock/flanker, and on the wing.

Loosehead Prop
Mako Vunipola
Richard Barrington
Ralph Adams-Hale
Sam Crean

Hooker
Jamie George
Tom Woolstencroft
Kapeli Pifeleti
Theodore Dan

Tighthead Prop
Josh Ibuanokpe
Sam Wainwright
Harvey Beaton
Mink Scharink

Lock
Maro Itoje
Joel Kpoku
John Kpoku
Cameron Boon

Flanker
Jackson Wray
Sean Reffell
Andy Christie
Tobias Munday
Ethan Benson

Number Eight
Billy Vunipola
Ollie Stonham

Scrum Half
Alex Day
Tom Whiteley
Sam Bryan

Fly Half
Owen Farrell
Manu Vunipola

Centre
Brad Barritt
Viliami Hakalo
Dominic Morris
Charlie Watson
Josh Hallett
Brandon Jackson

Wing
Rotimi Segun
Elliot Obatoyinbo

Full Back
Alex Goode
Elliot Daly

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2020 11:48 by Barty II.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net