Current Page: 1 of 2
Shorten next Season?
Posted by: Sara'sman (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 16:37

I'm aware of how this may appear to our detractors. I can only respond by stating that the idea came first for football when reading that EUFA are contemplating declaring this season to be lost and feeling how cruel this would be to Liverpool (and no, they're not my club) and to a lesser extent Ex and Sale in rugby.

Is completing this season in autumn/winter then shortening the next a better option than abandoning it? This would enable champions to be crowned fairly in each season, though many hurdles would need to be overcome. How might this work?

* Suppose matches resume in the first week of October - 13 Saturdays until the end of the year to accommodate 9 rounds plus two weeks of play-offs. With 5 International weeks needed (6N to be completed) there would be 3 clashes and 2 "free" weeks - one for the Prem Cup Final.
* European QF, SF, F in first 3 weeks of January. Clubs not involved could play the new season Prem Cup games
* Prem SF and F over Christmas period not ideal! Play European rounds in October weeks 2-4 instead and move play-offs to January?

New season (20/21):
* Leaves 19 weeks till the end of May
* No European cups for a season
* Clubs play 16 rounds - 11 v "each of the others" then 3 more v "other 6", and 2 more v "same 6" all drawn at random and based on 19/20 season top 6/bottom 6, giving 8 home league games to all
* The 3 "free" weeks to clash with 6 Nations (leaving 5 Prem rounds clashing). Prem Cup completed in these 3 weeks
* 3 weeks of k/o to decide champions, 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc in week 1.

Many many problems, not least of which is that I suspect we'll still not be seeing games in October. But perhaps something to chew over/pick apart whilst in isolation.
* Players' contracts to be extended till the end of the "revised current season" dates with reasonable replacements for those retiring overseen by a RCM (replacements cap manager!)
* Newcastle's promotion is obvious enough for them to plan ahead.
* Top/Pro 14 would need to come on board
* Clubs would lose 3 league + 3 European home games against 4/5 league if season abandoned
* Internationals income retained - RFU should pass on much more of this as compensation for player release
* Player workloads/caps revised limits for each season (and combined?) to be established

As far as the Championship goes, if 12 clubs survive, their (our) year would need considerable thought!
* 8 more rounds + 2 cup are needed to complete their season
* Leeds and Richmond to swap immediately if RFU deems fit
* New season to start on 1 Jan - 22 weeks till end of May. I'd suggest 11 + 5 league games (as for Prem above but with the 5 v "same 6") with 6 "free" weeks to accommodate a Championship Cup and our postponed (due to Champions Cup) match(es).

Below the Championship leave for the RFU to decide.

Any thoughts?

Re: Shorten next Season?
Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 18:52

It's a big assumption that the league will be able to start at the beginning of October. Even if we are out of loc kdown by then, the players will need some kind of pre-season. And there will be continuing restrictions and the real possibility of having to tighten things up again.

I wouldn't rule out just continuing this season, so it becomes 2019/21.

You show me a ray of sunshine, I'll point out the rain cloud.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 11:13

There are several big assumptions here. The two largest are:
> The c/v will have regressed enough, note not ended, to permit resumption of normal activity, with the current ban on large gatherings being one of the last to be lifted.
> There will be enough certainty for PRL to be confident that the clubs involved will be able to start, and finish, the season. There has to be doubt about some Premiership clubs meeting the first thresh-hold.

IMHO it would be easy for a sports administrator to re-bury his head in the sand and decide that what he wants is what will happen. Many are still clearly unable to see that what is happening outside their front doors is profoundly affecting the way in which this and other countries are existing, and will do so for longer than a few weeks. In this context of time-scale even Trump, the man who has the least firm grasp on reality, has accepted that re-opening the US for Easter is not going to happen. The advice he's getting is to prepare for a minimum of 100,000- 200,000 deaths, as mitigation measures are today, with the probability of at least ten times those number being killed if the restrictions are lifted early. His main aim is re-election, but he knows that won't happen if deaths are running at 10,000 a day, as the projections he's seeing say is happening as a result of his precipitate action.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 16:30

I still favour the idea of truncating this 2019/2020 season as described in my message >If you were in charge, what would you do? < With one amendment. I would seed the 1-8 teams based on their position after round #11 where everyone has played each other once. Then player QF, SF, and GF in June

However, given the current lockdown and the likelihood it will be extended another three weeks, the idea of even getting those three rounds being played in June are looking more remote by the day.

So if they cannot play the knockouts in June, push them to September and the start 2020/2021 season in October/November.

I like the idea of an abridged 2020/2021 season but think all leagues should be reduced to just one game played between each other. Moreover, as we really have no idea what is going to happen next season it may not be an idea to fill gaps with those "random" league games but maybe the clubs schedule 'friendlies' to keep players match fit. These friendly could easily be arranged at short notice and given the results will not affect the league positions, should circumstances change ( a second outbreak or a resurgence of the virus) they could be cancelled at short notice.

As Saracens will be in the Championship next year I am sure we'd be happy to host "friendlies" against any of the London and the S.E. based Premiership clubs....or even travel to the West country....the Irish at Brentford?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2020 16:34 by boomer!.

Posted by: AlanE (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 10:09

Scottish Rugby union have decided to finish the current season now. No promotion and relegation.

Biggar apparently were in line for promotion and are hacked off. (Must go with the name.)

EDIT: Apologies - just seen GazzaFez's separate thread on this.

I was 17 miles from Graybridge before I was caught by the school leopard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2020 10:11 by AlanE.

Date: 03 April, 2020 15:28

Thanks for the replies. One of the advantages of "playing out" the current season and shortening the next would be that clubs would have played both years knowing the format of the season well in advance of the start of the competitions. Also, if the resumption of rugby is deferred beyond October (as I agree is likely) next season could be further shortened, started later. It could perhaps be shrunk to anything down to 11 rounds plus 3 weeks of play-offs for the Champions (1-8), 2 for relegation (9-12).

PRL have understandably come in for criticism for stating their objective of being the first major sport to resume, initially in empty stadiums in the hope of generating TV money and reducing the likelihood of clubs becoming bankrupt. What would be needed for this to happen? I'd assume that most importantly the NHS would no longer be under extreme pressure and able to cover the games: the epidemic would need to have peaked and number of current cases reduced massively. It would also need to be possible to test all those involved for the illness, currently not feasible. 6 months?

boomer! - please accept my apologies: it disappoints me when new threads are started on "live" topics (presumably sometimes to avoid lengthy scrolling). I'm annoyed that I so did, especially since I knew of yours. Could the mods merge this thread?

If you were in charge, what would you do?
Posted by: boomer! (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 13:25

My go first.....

On the basis that the Premiership semi finals and Grand Final are scheduled three months away, this season may not need to be terminated just truncated.

So my suggestion is to void all remaining league fixtures of the premiership and just play the playoffs but add in a quarter final round so clubs that thought they were in with a shout (5 to 8) are not disenfranchised.
The QF seedings would be determined on the usual 1 vs 8, 2vs 7 etc

QFs to be played on 6/7th June (instead of round #22).

QF1: Exeter vs Irish
QF2: Sale vs Quins
QF3: Briz vs Bath
QF4: Saints vs Wasps

Semi finals to be played on 12/13 June

Matchups would be determined by the final league standing (seedings), with the two highest seedings having home field advantage and where the highest ranked of the four qualifiers plays the lowest ranked and 2nd ranked of the qualifiers plays the second t lowest.

Grand Final 20th June

Probably would not suit Glaws but in all honestly who really thinks they are in with a shout this season?

NB:- By truncating the domestic seasons, EPRC could reschedule its QF and SF for the weekends of 9th May and 16th May respectively and thus still preserve their Grand Final on 23rd May.....

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/03/2020 14:30 by boomer!.

Re: If you were in charge, what would you do?
Posted by: Chops3 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 14:22

However, not very fair on those in 9th to 12th - so how about 1st v 12th, 2nd v 11th ...........!!!!!!!!! OK, I'll get my coat.

Seriously, what you're proposing seems very sensible and hard to argue against. Gloucester in 9th can hardly be upset as you have already added 4th to 8th to appease clubs near the play off places. As it is fair and reasonable it will not be adopted by PRL!

I'm not sure things will have settled down by 9th May so the Euro games may need to be postponed to last weekend in June and first in July.

Posted by: mrangry (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 14:43

What I would do would no doubt shock and horrify some supporters of this club let alone others. My evil schemes have been pondered over for years, debated and altered. The only one I think would not upset the majority- Basically scrap the lot and go back to being amateurs, then nobody can complain. European competitions? Keep them for Johny Foreigner. Back to basics, back to Bramley Road

Posted by: Innings (IP Logged)
Date: 16 March, 2020 16:23

Go back to amateur? At least the RFU executive and committee would accept that, they've been amateurs for years.

Innings

Points win matches: tries win hearts and minds.

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 07:19

So, is this back to the old days really just a ruse to get hair on the top of your head again mrangry? You can tell us, this is your safe space!

Posted by: #wolfpack (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 08:14

Cancel the season and Saracens remain both Premiership Champions and European Champions. Broadcast the reaction of Tony Rowe and our frequent visitors to this board. We all need a laugh.

Posted by: mrangry (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 08:17

I used to have hair until the onset of professionalism caused me to scratch my head in confusion so much it wore away

Date: 19 March, 2020 17:07

Quote:
boomer!
My go first.....

QF1: Exeter vs Irish
QF2: Sale vs Quins
QF3: Briz vs Bath
QF4: Saints vs Wasps

Semi finals to be played on 12/13 June

Matchups would be determined by the final league standing (seedings), with the two highest seedings having home field advantage and where the highest ranked of the four qualifiers plays the lowest ranked and 2nd ranked of the qualifiers plays the second t lowest.

Grand Final 20th June

I mused on the following when boomer! first posted but since the Sanctimonials have come up with something similar - why not an extra Round of 8 (to give the likes of Tigers et al a fair chance of course!):

5 (Wasps) v 12 (Sarries) (A)
6 (Bath) v 11 (Leicester) ( B )
7 (Quins) v 10 (Worcester) (C)
8 (Irish) v 9 (Gloucester) (D) then

QF1: Exeter vs D
QF2: Sale vs C
QF3: Briz vs B
QF4: Saints vs A

SF 1 v 4
SF 2 v 3

The opposition en route to a possible final could not be friendlier - Roger can I borrow your tin hat please?

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 20:38

"The opposition en route to a possible final could not be friendlier"

Er, wouldn't we get Exeter in the semis? Or do you mean we would be playing the two sides most hostile to us? My brian hurts!

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Posted by: JL904 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 21:03

That's right AP - Pests first, then Saints in QF and Exe in the semis. Three grudge matches.

Posted by: tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 22:43

My brian hurts!

Better see the doctor, AP.(Sm124)

Posted by: McSaracens (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 08:17

If I was in charge I would call the season off. I dont believe its realistic to expect any games to take place until July at the earliest.

Saracens relegated
No champion

Season starts again in September.

I believe it might have been said before, but there is something special happening at Saracens, and I want to be part of it. - Nils Mordt

Posted by: Chops3 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 08:55

and all the Champions Cup qualifiers from last season get to have another go next season!!!![:wor kid:]

Posted by: Surbiton Sarries (IP Logged)
Date: 20 March, 2020 10:55

Season over for all Rugby below the Premiership

EDIT followed by Welsh Rugby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/03/2020 17:49 by Surbiton Sarries.

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net