Maro or Faz for Lions capt? - Bendon Venter's view
Posted by: MaroonTyke2 (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2020 10:10

Rugbypass interview

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/07/2020 10:12 by MaroonTyke2.

Re: Maro or Faz for Lions capt? - Bendon Venter's view
Posted by: nedrichards (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2020 11:28

Full interview on Planet Rugby.

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 28 July, 2020 12:10

Owen or Jamie for SA, I reckon Maro will play 6 to front up the Boks, he is going to be so in your face I want him focussed on not getting pinged. Let Maro grow into it, still got at least another 2 tours I reckon. I'd say Ryan would be a better call looking at locks, but if AWJ travels, it's him again

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 30 July, 2020 19:21

Whilst I think both Farrell and Maro could be excellent captains I actually hope that neither are. For me Farrell will always be a leader and heartbeat for the team but he can do that without being captain and especially if he ends up being 10 and goal-kicker (possible) then I think he has responsibilities enough.

Maro could comfortably do the job but again I think we want him under the radar especially with the spoiling work he'll be asked to do and quite possibly nulifying Peter SDT. That said, Richie McCaw used his captaincy to get away with "murder" for years so if Maro can do that then bring it on!

Jamie George starting hooker and captain for me. He is fairly unique in being actively liked by a large number of the opposition, respected and communicates well to the referee. If AWJ is made tour captain I can see that being a decent call. If he starts a Lions test we won't win the series, if he starts all three we may not win a game. His last tour should have been after Simon Shaw had to rescue him from being bullied by the last SA pack.

Posted by: beshocked (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 16:53

Brendan is wrong in my opinion.

Also there is a flaw in what he says. He says that Itoje needs to mature and implies he's not experienced.

He has 38 caps, has already been on a Lions tour and has had plenty of success.

Honestly I feel like this is the time for Itoje to step into a captaincy role.

Farrell should be allowed to get on with focus on kicking and playmaking.

Going to be interesting if he can maintain his form without Barritt and Goode to assist him. He's had those two over the years shouldering so much of the workload.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/07/2020 16:54 by beshocked.

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 31 July, 2020 16:59

Quote:
beshocked
Going to be interesting if he can maintain his form without Barritt and Goode to assist him. He's had those two over the years shouldering so much of the workload.

He's done pretty well for England where he is the one shouldering the work-load of others rather than having the burden shared.

Anyteam would miss players of the quality of Barritt and Goode and the leadership of Barritt especially. The onus is surely on other players to step up as much as Farrell to expand further into the leadership role? For me the greatest strength of the 2003 team was that it was packed with leaders. We already know that Saracens players talk about the role that players like Kruis, Mako, Maro etc play on the field just need to see a few more backs stepping up.

An interesting question connected to that point, do we think we might see Farrell move to 12 for Saracens at some time in the future?

Posted by: mksarrie (IP Logged)
Date: 01 August, 2020 22:47

Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
beshocked

He's done pretty well for England where he is the one shouldering the work-load of others rather than having the burden shared.

Anyteam would miss players of the quality of Barritt and Goode and the leadership of Barritt especially. The onus is surely on other players to step up as much as Farrell to expand further into the leadership role? For me the greatest strength of the 2003 team was that it was packed with leaders. We already know that Saracens players talk about the role that players like Kruis, Mako, Maro etc play on the field just need to see a few more backs stepping up.

An interesting question connected to that point, do we think we might see Farrell move to 12 for Saracens at some time in the future?

Posted by: jonnybrowne (IP Logged)
Date: 02 August, 2020 12:38

Quote:
mksarrie
Quote:
OldMarovian
Quote:
beshocked

Anyteam would miss players of the quality of Barritt and Goode and the leadership of Barritt especially. The onus is surely on other players to step up as much as Farrell to expand further into the leadership role? For me the greatest strength of the 2003 team was that it was packed with

leaders. We already know that Saracens players talk about the role that players like Kruis, Mako, Maro etc play on the field just need to see a few more backs stepping up.

It is indeed an interesting question - but if tManu continues to develop the way he is doing, freeing Owen up to move to 12 and assume that wider Brad-type role, why not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 14:51 by jonnybrowne.

Posted by: tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2020 15:36

Latest on these two is a loan period with Southern Hemisphere before the tour
Faz and Maro mooted loan

Posted by: myleftboot (IP Logged)
Date: 07 August, 2020 20:21

Quote:
jonnybrowne

It is indeed an interesting question - but if tManu continues to develop the way he is doing, freeing Owen up to move to 12 and assume that wider Brad-type role, why not?
the longer he had to line that Exocet shoulder up on somebody related to Mike Ford the better.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net