Faz - The next chapter.
Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 13:21

So, 10 weeks which is the top end sanction reduced by half due to the normal mitigating factors that are taken into account in these instances. That seems right to me and he can continue to thank his lucky stars that Atkinson seems to be fine and is returning to play through the usual concussion protocols.

Cards on the table from me I am a huge Farrell fan. I admire his relentless work ethic and desire to improve as a player. When I have met him he has been has come across as genuine and an interesting chap.
Disappointing (and ofc justified) as this ban will be for him I hope this can be a new chapter in his career.
I understand why he tackles like he does and you can see several example in that Wasps game alone of turnovers resulting from such tackles and both England and Saracens have benefitted from his very phycial defence but the margins are just too fine on such hits and the risk to other players to great. The papers printed a stats that 7 of his 8 cards for Saracens have been for high tackles and even if I'd be prepared to accept we will have won plenty of turnovers and disrupted try-scoring opportunities a plenty during that period that's 7 times there's been a unacceptable risk to a fellow professional.

I don't believe that he can't change his tackling-technique and whilst not having the same impact I believe his defence will still be a huge part of what he offers even if he makes more standard tackles. Maybe he should have a word with Courtney Lawes who used to be a by-word for high-hitting, unguided missles in attack who has transformed himself into one of the best defenders in the game. I hope that when he returns it is having worked on his technique and that I can continue supporting him knowing that he has done everything in his power to prevent a repetition of a tackle like the one of Atkinson.

Re: Faz - The next chapter.
Posted by: beshocked (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 15:31

Agree Farrell definitely needs to work on his tackling technique.

Almost a costly YC vs Wasps in the HC semi 2016 which is remarkably similar to the Atkinson incident except there were mitigating circumstances of Robson slipping. Plus there was the YC vs Australia in the RWC 2015 and taking out Anthony Watson in the AP final vs Bath with a high tackle in 2015.

I think it partially comes from frustration and Farrell was looking to make amends for his mistakes but compounded it with a red card.

Farrell needs to learn from someone like Brad Barritt who when he gives away a penalty or makes a mistake generally looks to reset.

Iíve seen many matches when Farrell gets his first kick, he just doesnít miss anything, equally sometimes where the first miss comes in, he doesnít always recover.

Someone like Brad Barritt never seems to get flustered which is what makes him such a great captain. A tough competitor who doesn't let his heart rule his head. Plus his tackling technique is one of the best in the league.

Posted by: jonnybrowne (IP Logged)
Date: 09 September, 2020 16:53

Quote:
beshocked
Agree Farrell definitely needs to work on his tackling technique.
Almost a costly YC vs Wasps in the HC semi 2016 which is remarkably similar to the Atkinson incident except there were mitigating circumstances of Robson slipping. Plus there was the YC vs Australia in the RWC 2015 and taking out Anthony Watson in the AP final vs Bath with a high tackle in 2015.

I think it partially comes from frustration and Farrell was looking to make amends
for his mistakes but compounded it with a red card.

Farrell needs to learn from someone like Brad Barritt who when he gives away a penalty or makes a mistake generally looks to reset.

Iíve seen many matches when Farrell gets his first kick, he just doesnít miss anything, equally sometimes where the first miss comes in, he doesnít always recover.

Someone like Brad Barritt never seems to get flustered which is what makes him such a great captain. A tough competitor who doesn't let his heart rule his head. Plus his tackling technique is one of the best in the league.

Agree with all that, and itís a fundamental aspect of top-line sport that you put a bad start to a game, a mistake, or a missed kick out of your mind and move onto the next situation with a clear head. Easier said than done though and maybe it comes down to basic temperament.

Re: his tackling technique it can as has been said before be pure Rugby League (this is not a criticism of a very different game BTW) at times - upright and high - but having played Union since his early teens, and most of that time at elite level, he should have dealt with that flaw in his game by now.

Posted by: b_sting (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 17:09

Came across an interesting piece on Faz's ban, which suggests he was unlucky to get 5 weeks! [url=http://rugbyandthelaw.com/2020/09/13/defence-of-rugby-disciplinary-process-owen-farrell-siale-piutau-bristol-saracens-rfu/][/url]

Posted by: OldMarovian (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 17:17

Thanks for the link b_sting.
I think the ban and mitigation were right (as the system is currently set up)

Posted by: Sarriebone (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 19:16

A very interesting read, thanks

Posted by: AP (IP Logged)
Date: 14 September, 2020 20:08

Thanks for the link. It is a well argued and well written blog piece.

Successful hills are here to stay
Everything must be this way
Gentle streets where people play
Welcome to the Soft Parade

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net