Current Page: 258 of 289
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2019 18:16

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
hemington
Just look at the influence 16 year old Greta has achieved (in the world). In Warrenballs World she would have to wait another 24 years before she could stand for Parliament. (And yes I know she is Swedish)

In my world too. I don't doubt the strength of conviction in her ideology. I doubt her experience, her solutions (she has none) and her ability to understand the side effects of her ideology from the perspectives of other in society.

Precisely why I'd want a range of genuinely experienced people in parliament. Ideologies applied without caution are dangerous.

Climate change is not an ideology. The underlying principles of the science are well understood, the models predicting the extent of the outcome of the process are only going in one direction (spoiler alert - its going to happen much faster and be much worse than we thought) and the scientific community is overwhelmingly of the view that climate change is happening to us good and hard, right now.

[climate.nasa.gov]

Given this, a bit of protest seems like a rational response.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2019 18:35 by joethefanatic.

Posted by: ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2019 18:56

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
hemington
Just look at the influence 16 year old Greta has achieved (in the world). In Warrenballs World she would have to wait another 24 years before she could stand for Parliament. (And yes I know she is Swedish)

In my world too. I don't doubt the strength of conviction in her ideology. I doubt her experience, her solutions (she has none) and her ability to understand the side effects of her ideology from the perspectives of other in society.

Precisely why I'd want a range of genuinely experienced people in parliament. Ideologies applied without caution are dangerous.

She doesn’t need a solution. She’s a 16 year old girl!
If she provides potential solutions, it leaves her open to be pulled apart.

What she is doing is staying on message, “We are destroying humanity”.

It’s a fact, all we are debating is the speed of the destruction.

J

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2019 19:39

Quote:
ChippenhamRoman

She doesn’t need a solution. She’s a 16 year old girl!
If she provides potential solutions, it leaves her open to be pulled apart.

What she is doing is staying on message, “We are destroying humanity”.

It’s a fact, all we are debating is the speed of the destruction.

J

Great, good for her - this is not another climate change debate. But that's why I don't want people like that in parliament.

Her conviction is unwavering, her experience and ability to effect positive outcomes is lacking. She is an effective protestor - it does not mean she we would be good at governing. She wouldn't be...

I don't want parliamentarians afraid of being pulled apart (we have too many already) and I don't want parliamentarians who are so convinced of their beliefs (and don't have the experience to know they are right) that they act in unrestrained ways.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 30 December, 2019 22:34

It's ok to be convinced you're right if you're over 40 is it? Hubris isn't exclusive to the young. Far from it.

As a side point an "ability to effect positive outcomes" isn't really a strict requisite of an MP is it? If we were talking about a cabinet post then maybe... Even then.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 31 December, 2019 10:02

Quote:
DanWiley
It's ok to be convinced you're right if you're over 40 is it? Hubris isn't exclusive to the young. Far from it.
As a side point an "ability to effect positive outcomes" isn't really a strict requisite of an MP is it? If we were talking about a cabinet post then maybe... Even then.

No, but experience is exclusive to the older and it makes better politicians. Besides, it would be hard to look at the last, and the latest, parliaments and think anything different.

Yes, it's a requisite of a parliamentarian, or what's the point. Just have the population bet for tokens and have the council appoint someone to listen to local concerns.

All Legislation passes through them. If it is to be successful it is because they have identified the ahortfalls, unintended consequences and concerns for oft-forgotten groups and raised them.

If everyone thinks the same along party lines and does have the experience to see difficulties from a position then you get bad and unjust policy and false consensus isolating elements of society.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 01 January, 2020 11:21

I can't see any evidence that older politicians are better. Could you provide some?

Date: 01 January, 2020 18:27

Quote:
DanWiley
I can't see any evidence that older politicians are better. Could you provide some?

I’m looking forward to Finland providing evidence to the Contrary.

[www.forbes.com]

J

Posted by: JFPC (IP Logged)
Date: 01 January, 2020 21:47

How old is Trump?

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2020 09:01

Quote:
JFPC
How old is Trump?

Are we talking real age or mental age?

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2020 12:16

73 (3 years 6 months)

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 02 January, 2020 17:13

A petulant 12.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 03 January, 2020 18:41

And where’s the dot after Experiment called Recession or Rebellion?

Don’t think this can apply to a country. You can’t sack the public for not pulling together with the corporate line.

J

Date: 03 January, 2020 20:29

?

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 13:16

In response to an article in The Times about the bonging big ben fiasco, very funny:

Surely there must be some pause for thought among Brexit enthusiasts that the rest of the world will see the UK at its moment of liberation represented by a heavily-scaffolded Victorian clock which doesn't work? And which people are chipping in half a million quid for so that it can briefly be faked up to make a bonging noise to mark our leaving at midnight on Brussels' time?

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 14:41

Powerful imagery, for sure wp

Humour aside though, can anyone think of anything more gloatingly divisive at a time when Johnson, himself has said it should be a time of healing?

Surely, Johnson wasn't just saying those comforting words for Remainers without any intention of doing anything to heal the divisions and only said it off the top of his head because he thought it would sound good?

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 15:31

I am afraid we can't be "healed" if we don't want to be.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 16:28

Maybe BSJ but I would expect the Prime Minister for our country to show some emotional intelligence and sensitivity by not actively fuelling the gloating of Brexiteers with an exorbitant and unnecessary vanity project

Seems that is too much to expect with this one

Date: 17 January, 2020 16:34

I feel I have a good reason not to want to acquiesce. I'm yet to have any credible reason presented why I should want this regressive, isolationist and economically damaging idea?

The idea that you can compromise on a bad idea doesn't mean you should.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 17 January, 2020 17:17

I agree Gaz

Date: 17 January, 2020 17:40

[www.telegraph.co.uk] Big Ben will not Bong for Brexit - Telegraph

Current Page: 258 of 289
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net