Current Page: 260 of 289
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: Man from LA (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 12:14

I use this:

[www.ebay.co.uk]

I would get one with toad-face on but I can't find any (yet).

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 13:02

I love the clarity of vision you have DW

Accrol is in fact 96% UK sales as Shipwrecked says above the product does not travel well

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 13:12

Quote:
annie blackthorn
shortage of lower paid farming/horticultural workers, those willing to work long hours in poor conditions making sandwiches etc,

According to the ONS for September to November 2019, an estimated 1.31 million people were unemployed. Think we have enough people who should be made to fill the possible shortage.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 13:56

From the Nova site linked above:

"a family-run UK manufacturer of good value, high quality toilet tissue and kitchen towel for retailers and wholesalers across Europe."

Apparently, we import 1.1m tonnes of the 1.3m we use. I'll stand by " EU wide distribution IS a big part of those companies", but most of all "Just one industry, this will be repeated across the country."

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 14:46

Quote:
DanWiley
Given the strength of their market, the EU company will survive and overcome the barriers to reach us. Accrol/Nova on the other hand will struggle in the larger market and may well not make enough from the domestic market to maintain a viable business. Both currently rely on EU market access.

I'm not convinced by the argument the EU companies are ok to lose large proportions of their customers because of the strength of the EU market. It's not like they're diverting toilet paper (or many other products) away from Spain to Britain. Likewise most businesses are sized to their market needs.

They can't just realign to domestic markets or fill the gaps that might be created by the loss of British supply. Nor would companies like Wepa, or their customers (and their consumers), consider abandoning established brands.

Adopted Player:
[20] - Will Vaughan
[19] -
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 31 January, 2020 15:11

It will initially be mildly uncomfortable for the European companies no doubt. But that hardship is many times magnified for British companies. EU companies are losing 60m customers, we'd be losing 500m.

If that hardship leads to British business becoming insolvent then the hardship for the EU companies is diminished further as we're like to end up buying their products anyway, only they'll be more expensive.

The economic argument for leaving just doesn't stack up. So enjoy your sovereignty, whatever that brings you, by the looks of it, being bullied by America.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 15:53

I fail to see why this continues to be so contentious, I've read one poster say keep you head down and wait for it to all go wrong, now I hear "enjoy the sovereignty" for what its worth. I even heard one woman was going to refuse to accept Brexit 50p in her change.
Industry adapts all the time on both sides. If the right deal is done European toilet roll makers can still export to the UK even if the price changes.

If not, then no problem there are plenty in Brussels that are so full of **** anyway they will use up the surplus!

Dan, you might not find the last bit funny, its not meant to be offensive, just a joke!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Date: 31 January, 2020 16:20

No offense taken in the last comment. Though I don't feel our politicians can claim the high ground.

There's some silly things being done on both sides, the BBC have someone trying to burn an EU flag.

I don't think you should dismiss my point though. Sovereignty was a big thing people wanted, but I'm not sure they really know what they mean or, if they do, what it will actually bring THEM. 4 years ago few could have named a trade deal that we enjoyed. Now people are going on about how we'll be able sign our own easily and that's going to be a great personal benefit to them. They've clearly little experience of trade deals nor an appreciation the situation they've just lost. We're already being bullied by the US, China and the EU (plus others) to follow. We are now rule takers AND have no say in the rules.

I'm yet to have someone explain a tangible way that brexit will benefit me (and I can't see how it benefits the overwhelming majority). So what an Earth are they celebrating?

Date: 31 January, 2020 16:35

I agree celebrating is childish. Hopefully America will get a leader with a moral compass this year.

I accept your point but I do feel European business including the UK is due a reset in terms of moving products needlessly.

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 17:40

I heard a radio programme talking about how the NHS was trying to make medical language more clearly understandable by the general population which they said was necessary as the average reading age in the UK was that of an average 10 year old - not even a particularly bright one!

No wonder the politicians use the language they do or that so many people are happy to get their news on social media and believe it.

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 19:19

Not looking forward to tomorrow.
On my way to work I got asked " When are you planning on ducking off then?"

My day did not feel brightened by the encounter!

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Date: 31 January, 2020 21:07

Quote:
DanWiley
I don't think you should dismiss my point though. Sovereignty was a big thing people wanted, but I'm not sure they really know what they mean or, if they do, what it will actually bring THEM. 4 years ago few could have named a trade deal that we enjoyed. Now people are going on about how we'll be able sign our own easily and that's going to be a great personal benefit to them. They've clearly little experience of trade deals nor an appreciation the situation they've just lost. We're already being bullied by the US, China and the EU (plus others) to follow. We are now rule takers AND have no say in the rules.

I get there are a lot of unknowns... But the rest is your personal expectations based on something, you imply, nobody in this country knows a lot about or needs to. Either you were a trade expert all those years ago or you muddling through like most of the rest of us.

Heck, I work in trade regulations and I couldn't say with any certainty what will happen. But we will absolutely have gained sovereignty and there is no other trade deal, in existence, that surrenders as much sovereignty as the one we had. We're unlikely to exceed it. Indeed, how could we exceed EU membership - both the positive and the negative.

Adopted Player:
[20] - Will Vaughan
[19] -
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 31 January, 2020 21:09

Quote:
DanWiley
I'm yet to have someone explain a tangible way that brexit will benefit me (and I can't see how it benefits the overwhelming majority). So what an Earth are they celebrating?

I'm proud this country proved that our decision at the ballot box is too important to be overridden. The relentless drip drip to overturn the result - which would have been the easy way out - were rejected. That took balls and it's hard to imagine any other European country doing the same.

Even the messiness of the process just showed there is life in our democratic process. Unlike many countries, we've not yet surrendered to technocratic rule because we can't imagine anything different. We didn't accept that what those in power say must be meekly followed.

And the degree of engagement was and still is significant, even from those on the losing side. There is no other European election that has generated anything like the same engagement and or has asked the difficult questions anything like as well as us.

I'm glad we did. It bodes well for us.

Date: 31 January, 2020 21:21

I thought brexit was idiotic enough but Jim Davidson unveiling a portrait of Fartage says it all. I bet Nige had a good old laugh at Davidson doing his Chalky White impressions. When the country is becoming what people like Davidson wants it to be, a bitter, delusional, insular nation with imagined victimhood, then you know it's going to end badly. At least now they won't be able to blame the EU or mainland European ex-pats for any of this countries problems (not that it won't stop them trying), it'll be on them.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 21:38

what a cheery spin.. do keep trying to perpetuate division.
Most people have accepted the U.K is leaving...or in just over an hr, has left.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 23:23

To coin a phrase, we will be back

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 31 January, 2020 23:33

Hope not in my lifetime. Britain will in time be Great again.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Date: 31 January, 2020 23:35

grinning smiley

[twitter.com]

(it's daft granted, but no dafter than the people who set off fireworks celebrating that they will be poorer)

Date: 01 February, 2020 00:19

Quote:
Man from LA
grinning smiley
[twitter.com]

(it's daft granted, but no dafter than the people who set off fireworks celebrating that they will be poorer)

This thread avoided being offensive for the whole 3 years of the Brexit debate up till now!

Has Johnson reinstated land mine use, banned muslims from entering the UK, denied climate change, asked another country to investigate his political rivals, ridiculed the handicapped........ need I go on!

It may benefit your argument to want them to be similar but they are not. Portrayals like that are Trumpian misdirection. They are not alike.
By all means continue to sow the seeds of negative division but I'm reminded of a lyric, "the strong give up and move on but the weak give up and stay".

As for being bullied, if that were true would Huawei be installing 5G hardware in the UK.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 February, 2020 07:28

Time to close the thread!

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Current Page: 260 of 289
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net