Current Page: 273 of 284
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 18:03

I see there is now talk of extending the 321st December deadline due to the impact of the coronavirus. Very sensible.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 18:09

Quote:
joethefanatic
I see there is now talk of extending the 321st December deadline due to the impact of the coronavirus. Very sensible.

+1

Must admit I thought the UK might lose out on the Virus situation by no longer being in the EU, but far from it. There seems to be less leadership from Brussels than the UK government and there also appears to be positive infighting amongst the remaining 27 members. Italy apparently asked for help some weeks back and was met by silence from Brussels according to an Italian MEP.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 18:14

So does the EU help countries that are unable to 'provide support' to their population and businesses like Greece for example. If so that's a massive drain on the richer members.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: FourSticks (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 18:25

Quote:
If so that's a massive drain on the richer members.

That's exactly how taxes work - you earn more you pay more. It doesn't all come back to you but to those who need it.

Date: 17 March, 2020 19:23

So if the UK need to put in 330 billion and there are 27 countries in the EU lets say half need help then thats about 4.3 trillion plus bailing themselves out

a) Thats a humungous tax
b) Was the EU designed to cope with that?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 17 March, 2020 22:24

Quote:
FourSticks
Quote:
If so that's a massive drain on the richer members.

That's exactly how taxes work - you earn more you pay more. It doesn't all come back to you but to those who need it.

Yeah that works for the normal financial framework.

But no rich nation within the EU is transferring any more money to any other EU nation. Even in this time of crisis. And that won't change.

I only hope that whatever Union comes out of the end of this, casts away its anti-americanism and realises that China is the nation not to trust. But given China stepped in to fill the EU's gap, it probably won't happen.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 07:09

Quote:
joethefanatic

Not particularly sensible to simply talk about it!

It's a no brainer. The timetable was too short in normal circumstances so it is blooky obvious it will need longer now

What is there to talk about surely just pick a sensible date and nail it to get on with current priorities

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 07:32

Isn't the 300bn largely loans? It's not like we taking that money from our piggy bank in a direct sense and giving it to anyone.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 08:38

Quote:
The Bear
I only hope that whatever Union comes out of the end of this, casts away its anti-americanism and realises that China is the nation not to trust.

Does it have to be one or the other? Trump would step over an elderly nun to get to the last toilet roll in LIDL.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 09:03

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
The Bear
I only hope that whatever Union comes out of the end of this, casts away its anti-americanism and realises that China is the nation not to trust.

Does it have to be one or the other? Trump would step over an elderly nun to get to the last toilet roll in LIDL.

That picture made I laff, it did. Thank you BathMatt

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 09:11

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
The Bear

Trump will not be in the White House forever. The US will move on. They are an infinitely more reliable ally than China. I

f the EU had applied the same level of rigour to Chinese imports/exports and geopolitics as it does to American ones, this whole event might well have been very different.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 18 March, 2020 09:33

How? Unless this dies a seasonal death America looks just as likely as anyone to get hit by this, they're just behind the curve.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 11:08

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
The Bear

Trump will not be in the White House forever. The US will move on. They are an infinitely more reliable ally than China.

Agreed...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 12:54

Surely this was spread by travellers from China, some might be tourists but I bet a lot were business people from Western countries who go to China to get cheap supplies etc. Who's fault is that?

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 13:14

Quote:
hemington
Surely this was spread by travellers from China, some might be tourists but I bet a lot were business people from Western countries who go to China to get cheap supplies etc. Who's fault is that?

Given your context, I am not sure one can attribute fault to a particular agent but it could be regarded as a consequence of globalisation...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 13:14

Students from China at European Universities?

Date: 18 March, 2020 13:21

Quote:
DanWiley
How? Unless this dies a seasonal death America looks just as likely as anyone to get hit by this, they're just behind the curve.

Or ahead of it, data is based on test results, he USA have tested far fewer people than other countries so we simply don't really know where they are on the curve.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 16:06

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
The Bear

China are certainly an enemy, but the US are not to be trusted, we are nothing more than a friend of convenience to be dumped as soon as we have nothing to offer them.

Date: 18 March, 2020 16:28

Realistically aren't all countries out enemy, which country can we name as a friend?

Date: 18 March, 2020 16:50

Talking about friends and enemies seems very simplistic.

Two countries can, and usually do, become richer working together as partners. I'm sure they still "spy" on each other and promote their own national interests. I'm not sure if I'd call either friends of enemies.

Both China and the US have the potential to make us richer of we work together. Both will be equally brutal in pursuit of their national interest.

What strikes me most is how sad that attitude is.

Current Page: 273 of 284
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net