Current Page: 274 of 277
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 17:57

My prediction is there is absolutely zero chance of the transition period ending on 31st December 2020.

Date: 18 March, 2020 18:22

The Ł is taking a beating!

€1.068
$1.1590

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 18:41

Chancellor needs to do more to appease the markets.

Posted by: ChippenhamRoman (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 19:16

Quote:
woodpecker
My prediction is there is absolutely zero chance of the transition period ending on 31st December 2020.

Johnson still trying to play the hard man and saying he has no plans to change the legislation.

J

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 19:41

Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
woodpecker

Johnson still trying to play the hard man and saying he has no plans to change the legislation.

J

No agreement better aligns with the UK objectives (whether you agree with them or not) than the EU ones. They'll want to build that imbalance into any extension (possibly by asking to remove the chance of further extensions).

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 08:05

Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
woodpecker

J

Sadly, another example of why he simply does not have the right qualities for the job in these circumstances

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 19 March, 2020 11:52

Quote:
shipwrecked
So does the EU help countries that are unable to 'provide support' to their population and businesses like Greece for example. If so that's a massive drain on the richer members.

It seems some of the more enlightened European countries are prepared to help Greece, but mostly not, especially the richer ones. It'd be interesting to understand why not?

Poland/Austria Forces sent to Greece East border with Turkey

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/03/2020 11:54 by Dunno.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 18:55

Even Yanis Varoufakis supports Brexit now

T
"1st April 2020

‘I don’t think the EU is capable of doing anything to us other than harm’, said Yanis Varoufakis, the radical academic and one-time Greek finance minister. ‘I opposed Brexit but I have now reached the conclusion that the British did the right thing, even if they did it for the wrong reason.’

Despite that final caveat, this is quite the admission from Varoufakis. In the run-up to the EU referendum in 2016, this veteran of the Greek bailout crisis in 2015 became the principal spokesman for the remain-and-reform position beloved of Britain’s bourgeois left. He even launched something called the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 that February, and toured Britain thereafter, telling Eurosceptic leftists that the EU was a terrible, undemocratic set of institutions but that leaving it would be even worse. Then, after the referendum, he doubled down on Leavers, repeating the tired, elitist calumny that Brexit was a victory for ‘fascists, xenophobes and racists’, and that he and his Corbynite brothers-in-tweets, ‘like our grandfathers and grandmothers in the 1930s, had a moral duty to try and stop the fall into the abyss’. Because that’s what Brexit was to him and his cronies: the fascist abyss.

But it seems that even the bad faith of this most unlikely of Remainers has finally been shattered by the EU’s response to the coronavirus crisis. He has seen the drawbridges being pulled up, as Germany and France imposed export bans on medical equipment, deepening the crisis in Italy. And he has seen the callous, rule-bound approach of the Eurogroup, as German and Dutch finance ministers refused to countenance sharing the debt incurred by their poorer Eurozone neighbours – Spain, Italy and even France – arguing instead that the worst hit should receive loans from the European Stability Mechanism, complete with austerity-strings attached. Because that’s all that matters to the EU – preserving the integrity of the Eurozone.

All this has finally proved to Varoufakis something essential about the EU. Not just that it is a thoroughly neoliberal, anti-democratic set of institutions, but also that it is immutable. It will never become the progressive paradise its anti-Brexit cheerleaders said it could, if only the UK stuck with it, and reformed it from within. It is, in short, utterly unreformable."

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 04 April, 2020 18:09

Quote:
Bod
Even Yanis Varoufakis supports Brexit now

T
"1st April 2020

‘I don’t think the EU is capable of doing anything to us other than harm’, said Yanis Varoufakis, the radical academic and one-time Greek finance minister. ‘I opposed Brexit but I have now reached the conclusion that the British did the right thing, even if they did it for the wrong reason.’

Despite that final caveat, this is quite the admission from Varoufakis. In the run-up to the EU referendum in 2016, this veteran of the Greek bailout crisis in 2015 became the principal spokesman for the remain-and-reform position beloved of Britain’s bourgeois left. He even launched something called the Democracy in Europe Movement 2025 that February, and toured Britain thereafter, telling Eurosceptic leftists that the EU was a terrible, undemocratic set of institutions but that leaving it would be even worse. Then, after the referendum, he doubled down on Leavers, repeating the tired, elitist calumny that Brexit was a victory for ‘fascists, xenophobes and racists’, and that he and his Corbynite brothers-in-tweets, ‘like our grandfathers and grandmothers in the 1930s, had a moral duty to try and stop the fall into the abyss’. Because that’s what Brexit was to him and his cronies: the fascist abyss.

But it seems that even the bad faith of this most unlikely of Remainers has finally been shattered by the EU’s response to the coronavirus crisis. He has seen the drawbridges being pulled up, as Germany and France imposed export bans on medical equipment, deepening the crisis in Italy. And he has seen the callous, rule-bound approach of the Eurogroup, as German and Dutch finance ministers refused to countenance sharing the debt incurred by their poorer Eurozone neighbours – Spain, Italy and even France – arguing instead that the worst hit should receive loans from the European Stability Mechanism, complete with austerity-strings attached. Because that’s all that matters to the EU – preserving the integrity of the Eurozone.

All this has finally proved to Varoufakis something essential about the EU. Not just that it is a thoroughly neoliberal, anti-democratic set of institutions, but also that it is immutable. It will never become the progressive paradise its anti-Brexit cheerleaders said it could, if only the UK stuck with it, and reformed it from within. It is, in short, utterly unreformable."

He always did.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 04 April, 2020 21:38

All this based on an article in what reputable journal exactly?

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 09:41

The EU will remain popular among member states all the while the perceived benefit is there. For some states that is in net subsidy but it is a fine balance of the books.

I think the next few years will be defining.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 11:06

[www.cnbc.com]

The wealthier parts of the (Northern) EU not too eager to share debt from CV-19 with the more economically strained (Southern) parts of the EU it seems.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 09:31

That's why European Union will not ever work. Too much self interest and looking after number one and no help for the weaker partners. The sooner we break free completely, the better.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Date: 06 April, 2020 09:40

"Too much self interest and looking after number one and no help for the weaker partners."

Once this virus lockdown is fully over take a trip around the remote highlands in Scotland and see the number and quality of important projects, community, economic and business all funded through the EU. My friends in Wales say the same is true there

London may not miss the EU but Scotland and Wales certainly will and I reckon the North of England will come to miss the EU a lot more than they thought in the referendum

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 10:06

Even if it were true the solution is hardly drop those weaker partners in it by leaving, being totally self-interested and offering no help.

If you haven't picked up that we need to be coming together as a world over the last month then I can't see what it will take.

Date: 06 April, 2020 10:26

Quote:
DanWiley
Even if it were true the solution is hardly drop those weaker partners in it by leaving, being totally self-interested and offering no help.
If you haven't picked up that we need to be coming together as a world over the last month then I can't see what it will take.

You mean like Germany has abandoned the Southern Europe members to be an economic wasteland as a result of the virus?

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 10:31

Has it?

Date: 06 April, 2020 10:35

Whichever side of the argument you are on and to be honest I'm bored of the argument, its clear that sovereign countries have been dealing with this in a sovereign way.

I make no comment on whether that's good or bad.

Date: 06 April, 2020 10:39

Quote:
DanWiley
Has it?

Yes, Germany along with Holland is blocking the concept of a corona bond requested by Southern Europe to help them recover.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 10:42

Possibly Dan, Spain-and-italy-have-been-abandoned-by-the-eu But you have to ask was the EU ever designed to offer support in a pandemic?

It might be an expectation as European members got more intertwined. I think that was the worry for Eurosceptics.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Current Page: 274 of 277
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net