Current Page: 277 of 283
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 09:45

It appears to me the Eurozone are patently not interested in any sort of negotiation, just want to enforce their laws and regulations on the UK by bully boy tactics and not giving us any respect as a nation. They think they can railroad us into a submissive position (like they did with Cameron and Theresa May) but with the majority the Conservative leavers have, I believe Boris and his cohorts are made of sterner stuff and unless the Europeans do concede several points (which they have already done to other nations), we will be off and they want get another penny out of us. Hooray I say.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 10:18

We won't be off anywhere. Regardless of what happens we'll want a trading relationship with Europe and we'll spend years developing it.

"want<sic> get another penny out of us."

We just borrowed £300 billion in 3 months. We have a GDP of £2trillion. We export £291 billion to the EU. The NHS alone costs us £120billion. Being in the single market is estimated to be worth £90billion.

Has the penny not dropped yet that £8billion a year is a tiny amount for a government?

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 10:23

Oh no we are not reopening the 2016 debate again. Perhaps I should resurrect the original thread and merge it with this one! winking smiley

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 11:12

Im a remainer, but I can't be bothered with this any more.

My response to any brexit news is: Whatever!

Economically we are totally @#$%& with or without brexit

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 11:40

A neutral perspective from Japan

"Fishermen from France, the Netherlands, Denmark and other EU members catch 40 percent of the entire EU fisheries haul in Britainís waters....................If the EU fails to reach an agreement with Britain by the yearís end, quotas for EU member states may fall to zero in 2021."

"The EUís largest export item to Britain is automobiles, valued at £46.5 billion, or 2.6 times larger than Britainís auto exports to the EU at £17.4 billion. The EUís auto trade surplus of £28.1 billion accounts for 30 percent of its total trade surplus. Failure to conclude an FTA with the U.K. will impose a 10 percent tariff on the auto exports. It is the EU that wants to maintain free trade with Britain..........................If the Britain-EU talks break down and the U.K. launches an FTA with Japan, EU auto exports to Britain will decline under the weight of a 10 percent tariff."

"The EU has effectively blocked beef imports from the U.S. and Australia by using the special rate tariff. In the event Britain-EU talks break down, can French beef compete fairly with U.S. or Australian beef in the U.K. market on the level playing field where the same tariff prevails? In addition, when an FTA between Britain and the U.S. enters into force, tariffs on U.S. exports to Britain will be abolished, while high tariffs will be imposed on EU exports to Britain. "

And you continue to argue
"Has the penny not dropped yet that £8billion a year is a tiny amount for a government?"

The above facts and the other more extensive details contained in the full article ( well worth a full read) might lead any logical and balanced negotiator from either side on the UK/EU negotiation table to conclude, that there could even be a reasoned argument , over and above any trade agreement - there is a need for EU to pay for access to the UK market ? Wouldn't you say?

(Just like membership of Bath FC (RFU) 1865 back in the day, you are nominated and seconded by existing member as a good sort to join, after committee vetting you are accepted and allowed full club access and enjoyment of facilities as long as you abide by the rules, pay in initial entry fee, and agree to pay any future membership fee, on an annual basis , at a rate determined by the committee to continue enjoying full club access and facilities use - does that analogy work/)

After the ££££s costs of the Covid crisis are finally totted up, I can't see any rational UK Govt ceding any competitive advantage relating in any way to value benefits for the UK economy and the citizens that dwell therein.
Especially given the trumpeted statements and intent of the EU from the outset that any EU/UK deal would be far worse for UK than EU membership.

Competitive advantage also includes generating an environment where Companies will invest and spend to enhance trage and employment prospects

So, logically, the UK/US trade deal delivers a market of just over 400 million, forgetting options in the future to add on Canada/Aus/NZ/Japan/India etc which, as it stands, the moribund, doctrinal EU will never deliver as long as the sun rises every morning.

Even a thick uneducated Wiltshire Moonraker yokel like me gets it.........................

(Sm72)

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 12:26

Welcome back Bodthumbs down

Date: 21 May, 2020 13:48

Quote:
bod
So, logically, the UK/US trade deal delivers a market of just over 400 million

Is that a typo, I can't check you're reference doesn't seem to say anything about it, because that sounds like a tiny market.

Quote:
bod
Even a thick uneducated Wiltshire Moonraker yokel like me gets it.........................

You really don't. Either that or you just making it up. We're losing completely unrestricted access to markets worth many times more than the ones you're citing and hoping to replace them with restrictive trade deals that will do as much damage to our industries as we'll gain from them.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 14:23

Quote:
woodpecker
Im a remainer, but I can't be bothered with this any more.
My response to any brexit news is: Whatever!

Economically we are totally @#$%& with or without brexit

+1

I actually thought Brexit might hurt us during the coronavirus crisis, but the EU nations have adopted a me first screw you attitude to each other so don't think we missed much.

Date: 21 May, 2020 16:46

Quote:
DanWiley
Quote:
bod
So, logically, the UK/US trade deal delivers a market of just over 400 million

Is that a typo, I can't check you're reference doesn't seem to say anything about it, because that sounds like a tiny market.

Quote:
bod

You really don't. Either that or you just making it up. We're losing completely unrestricted access to markets worth many times more than the ones you're citing and hoping to replace them with restrictive trade deals that will do as much damage to our industries as we'll gain from them.

You've found this whole Brexit process very challenging I feel DW, and still cling to the hope that the EU-Emperor still has a spare pair of pyjamas hanging in the airing cupboard?

It seems clear he doesn't possess as much as a pot to pi$$ in.

The further away the UK is from the collapse of the ECB when that implodes and passes all the debts directly back to the Ä participants the better we'll be.

Last week the German Constitutional High court voted against and overturned ECJ monetary rulings and authority. (You do know this don't you DW, it's worthwhile being informed to make balance judgements I find)
German Constitutional Court rules against ECJ

The "EU" doesn't have any money or produce anything of its own, it's a Trade Association that has morphed over the years to an intransigent controlling cult , a bit like the Scientologists.

The EU leeches off it's member states and does not allow them to question the wisdom of the Politbureau or change the decision makers in a recognisably democratic manner when they screw up. (Unless you're Germany now, given the above ruling)

You'll be banging on about the massive significance of roaming charges and Erasmus exchange study programmes next?

I'll sit back quietly and chew my straw, content in my ignorance and stupidity, and carry on trading across Europe when its worthwhile.

However the commercial returns will increasingly be with US, and the massive new opportunities there, and even more importantly, establishing tariff free commercial activities in Sub-Saharan Africa where the +% returns will be far more in line with the requirements of the big investors. The clever money (that which funds your pensions) will not be wasting their time on the recessive, retracting markets full of the bags of rats all chasing and fighting over the same diminishing, over-regulated cake in Europe.

You do understand the difference between a free market and a protectionist cartel?

One keeps you lean, innovative and efficient, the other makes you flabby, morose, entitled,lazy and unfit for purpose.

I really do get it.

(Sm72)

Date: 21 May, 2020 16:53

Quote:
BoD
I'll sit back quietly and chew my straw

No you won't, you'll spend hours digging up articles to re-enforce your prejudice. Then you'll spam them all on here and post hackneyed memes as if they prove your point.

Date: 21 May, 2020 16:57

Quote:
DanWiley
Quote:
BoD

No you won't, you'll spend hours digging up articles to re-enforce your prejudice. Then you'll spam them all on here and post hackneyed memes as if they prove your point.

I dont think Bod was present for the original 4 years of brexit debate, you can have it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/05/2020 16:58 by woodpecker.

Date: 21 May, 2020 17:06

I'm aware of the irony.

Date: 21 May, 2020 17:13

Quote:
DanWiley
Quote:
BoD

How long did it take to reference an article from the Irish Times from last week, which I tend to read daily anyway to try and develop some perspective across the arguments?
You were aware of this judgement weren't you? Weren't you???? If not, why not?
What prejudice?
That's an irrational concept.

(Sm72)

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 18:49

lol lol. That is the homework set for tonight...

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 19:39

I think this Bod/DW Brexit debate will run and run; I look forward to dipping in and out in the years ahead. 4yr since the referendum next month though and as far as I'm aware the sky hasn't fallen in. In fact they are much clearer as a consequence of C-19...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 21 May, 2020 23:48

I certainly see that the arrival of Covid-19 has seen the EU members doing their own thing first and devil take the hind most to every other country. The German court ruling certainly confirmed this which started with Italy being left out in the cold initially when the pendemic kicked off bigbtime there. The main initial help came from Russia and China if I recall rightly, not from their fellow member states.

That is where the idea of the coalition of differing states at different times in their development just will never work and when we leave, I just wonder how long it is before another country or two might decide to jump ship as well.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 28 May, 2020 11:32

Well this is good news for the people of Sunderland - Nissan backs UK plant, BBC...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Date: 03 June, 2020 13:30

The direction of travel with China and the general mess in the USA with Trump in charge is not very reassuring with regard to post brexit trade

Date: 03 June, 2020 15:06

Quote:
woodpecker
The direction of travel with China and the general mess in the USA with Trump in charge is not very reassuring with regard to post brexit trade

Why?

(Sm3)

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 07 June, 2020 05:52

Johnson now renegimg on food standards to get a US deal. Depressingly predictable. Let's hope the Cabinet remember the manifesto and develop a backbone. Small hope.

[www.theguardian.com]

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Current Page: 277 of 283
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net