Current Page: 283 of 289
Re: OT/ Brexit
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 09:11

Of all the presentation of the news the world service is by fas the most balanced. Also after 01.00 in the UK the BBC broadcast the news from their Asian news team (SE Asia), it is extremely good reporting.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 09:35

I note that even the BBC are getting rid of the Today program editor, mainly because of her recent leadership on various topics. Hopefully followed by some of the presenters.

The Today program used to be excellent and I always enjoyed it when on my work travels. Redhead, Timpson and co and even the God slot with people like Bishop of Millwall, Big Jim and Lionel Bleu, were great imparters of news and issues. They were never afraid to tackle difficult subjects and question their guests who regularly included Cabinet rank MPs without fear or favour and did it without imposing their own biased opinions. Just informing the populace what was going on, or increasing knowledge. A hugely better experience than the current fare.

When on holiday, I often tune in to the World service and do agree with you Joe it is generally an excellent view or listen, without the presenters trying to impart their opinions on the viewer/listener. Just inform people what is going on in a generally unintrusive way and let the recipiant make up their own mind. Much better by half. Some of their presenters are top notch and should be transferred to the main BBC channels and outlets.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 14:07

Quote:
shipwrecked
Of all the presentation of the news the world service is by fas the most balanced. Also after 01.00 in the UK the BBC broadcast the news from their Asian news team (SE Asia), it is extremely good reporting.

I would second that.

I wonder if part of the problem is that we expect our news presenters to be personalities and, in turn, they behave like that.

Those reporters on the World Service and in the deep of night are complete unknowns and they don't seem to carry any baggage when reporting the news.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 29 June, 2020 15:17

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
shipwrecked

I would second that.

I wonder if part of the problem is that we expect our news presenters to be personalities and, in turn, they behave like that.

Those reporters on the World Service and in the deep of night are complete unknowns and they don't seem to carry any baggage when reporting the news.

I think someone may have decided we want personalities to give us the news, not sure we want it.
The today program on R4 was always good, Humphries, Robinson and Webb etc...all good. I don't think they need directing or editorial driving them...

The likes of Morgan and Burley and including Mattis are just embarrassing imv. Morgan basically interviews himself, Burley is just awful and Mattis is an instand switchoff.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 July, 2020 13:11

Waitrose has vowed to never sell chlorine washed chicken or hormone injected beef if the UK strikes a post-Brexit trade deal with America. Fears have been raised over food products produced under lower welfare and hygiene standards making their way across the pond now Britain has left the European Union.

[metro.co.uk]

Date: 04 July, 2020 14:57

in all seriousness...this is the stance many outlets can take.
I've long been picky about meat content so if governements dont or cant take a stand, then customers still can...

I think shopping chains will take note over what customers want and if certain stuff doesn't sell, why would they stock it.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 12:51

It's restaurants, take-aways etc you can't control

Date: 06 July, 2020 14:35

Quote:
hemington

The problem isn't the fresh meat from the shop or the butcher's, it's what goes into the areas hemington says above but also those horrendous packaged meals and processed goods.

We all want our food to cost less and yet we demand standards to be higher. We're pushing up the cost of fresh food and encouraging more people to eat cheap processed foods and things like sugar, which is far cheaper than meat.

It needs to go further than labelling.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 06 July, 2020 16:40

Quote:
The Bear
Quote:
hemington

The problem isn't the fresh meat from the shop or the butcher's, it's what goes into the areas hemington says above but also those horrendous packaged meals and processed goods.

We all want our food to cost less and yet we demand standards to be higher. We're pushing up the cost of fresh food and encouraging more people to eat cheap processed foods and things like sugar, which is far cheaper than meat.

It needs to go further than labelling.

Those outlets will have to cater for the discerning buyer too.
If you dont know and they cant tell you, you have a choice to make.
Many restaurants already do this with Gluten and Diary.

Yep, not simple but not impossible either..

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 July, 2020 17:42

It's lovely you've got the choice to buy expensive food John, not all people do and already fairly mediocre meat is pretty dear. This won't change that, people will just pay the same for worse.

Date: 06 July, 2020 18:59

I dont think the govt are going to say we arent going to buy Chlorinated chicken...but id expect major chains to detail it.

My number one rule is to buy British meat...but sure, the age old problem has been what you dress it up in...

And even pubs will advertise where they source meet from..
For sure we need to eat less@#$%&and i recall years ago a chef saying he would never eat meat he didn't personally buy from the butcher.
Fish and chips shops even market where they get their fish from..

So, out with processed and in with home prep.
The young guys at work do that more, surprisingly...although they still might go for a subway..lol.

One thing Brexit is going to have to 'capitalise' on is home produce.
It takes a mind set, but not impossible ..?

Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 12 July, 2020 13:10

£750m to be spent on border controls announced by the government - what an utter waste

Date: 13 July, 2020 09:09

Quote:
BBandW
£750m to be spent on border controls announced by the government - what an utter waste

I heard Gove dribbling about how it would be the 'most effective border' in the world. This world beating/best in thw world stuff must be Cummings, it seems to apply to everything now.

From the TImes:
The government is launching an information campaign with warnings about passports, travel insurance, mobile phone charges and travelling with pets. The initiative, “The UK’s new start: let’s get going”, features guidance for visiting the EU from January 1. Much of the information is aimed at raising awareness of higher costs, with travel insurance premiums expected to rise once eligibility for free healthcare in EU countries ends.

The public will be urged to check for mobile phone roaming charges in the EU and told that they will need six months of validity on their passport to travel. Pet owners will be advised to give vets four months’ notice before trying to take an animal to Europe.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

I think everyone agrees that there are going to be a lot of issues arising out of leaving the EU, but we must try to think of the amazing upsides of leaving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2020 09:20 by woodpecker.

Date: 13 July, 2020 09:47

Short of trying to rerun the referendum (and let's not do that again) what do you expect the government to do re: the border?

Even if we signed up to EFTA there would be border controls. We have to pay for the infrastructure for those controls or accept the disruption for trying to use the existing controls we have for a much larger volume of trade.

I'd rather we spent the money.

Date: 13 July, 2020 09:51

Quote:
The Bear
Short of trying to rerun the referendum (and let's not do that again) what do you expect the government to do re: the border?
Even if we signed up to EFTA there would be border controls. We have to pay for the infrastructure for those controls or accept the disruption for trying to use the existing controls we have for a much larger volume of trade.

I'd rather we spent the money.

I expect them to do what they need to do. However as I have always thought leaving the EU was a pointless waste of time and money, I reserve the right to take the pi$$ every time I spot them wasting time and money pointlessly.

Date: 13 July, 2020 10:20

The fact they've brexit themselves into a stupid corner doe doesn't excuse them from the consequences of backing themselves into a stupid corner.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 12:43

It is clear the government is going to get stitched up by the EU, USA and almost everyone else. Just look at the people in cabinet positions, striving for mediocrity and in the most part failing lamentably.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 21:08

Quote:
warrenball
It is clear the government is going to get stitched up by the EU, USA and almost everyone else. Just look at the people in cabinet positions, striving for mediocrity and in the most part failing lamentably.

Which ones, and how do you mean??

(Sm3)

Date: 13 July, 2020 21:54

We're not in any of their clubs, why would they do anything to help us?

The difference when we were in the EU was we were a part of it. When they helped us they helped themselves.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 13 July, 2020 22:24

I'm still hoping the EU will decide that all of us who were citizens of the EU prior to Brexit have been deprived without due process.

And today's announcements would have been laughable if they weren't so pathetic. 6 months to go and this is the best they've got? "Frictionless trade", me ar$e.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/07/2020 22:28 by joethefanatic.

Current Page: 283 of 289
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net