England have just won the 3rd test!!

Re: Cricket - SPOILER ALERT
Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 16:28

(Sm152)(Sm152)(Sm152)

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 16:44

Stokes has to be up there with Flintoff and Botham in the modern game. Absolutely extraordinary!

https://i.ibb.co/sbQsmcr/darren-atkins-5.jpg

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 19:04

Amazing win, chapeau Ben Stokes.
Some of the stats around the win are worth seeing - on the BBC website.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 19:25

Phenomenal! The chippies are not so chippy anymore!

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Date: 25 August, 2019 19:36

Has to be said though the last 10 runs was super twitchy, the Lyons' fumble, the catch, the review, the lbw with no review left.
Funny how the Aussie never win the close ones!

Darren Atkins Age 21 years, Fullback, 6 ft 1 in, 13 st 4 lbs. Sadly injured for the rest of the season!

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 21:05

I don't think anyone gave England much of a chance, certainly not Shane Warne who apparently checked out of his hotel yesterday morning he was so confident the game would end yesterday afternoon with an Aus win.

To be fair, I thought he had the right result, just a bit early.

England must learn from this. They now know that to build a score you cannot take chances batting v the new Duke ball, yes play positively but only when the ball is past 25 overs.

That seems too difficult a change for some compared to ODIs. I would rest Buttler, drop Roy to his batting spot and bring in another opening batsmen. Don't know who though.

Posted by: JFPC (IP Logged)
Date: 25 August, 2019 22:02

Quote:
B4thB4ck
I don't think anyone gave England much of a chance, certainly not Shane Warne who apparently checked out of his hotel yesterday morning he was so confident the game would end yesterday afternoon with an Aus win.
To be fair, I thought he had the right result, just a bit early.

England must learn from this. They now know that to build a score you cannot take chances batting v the new Duke ball, yes play positively but only when the ball is past 25 overs.

That seems too difficult a change for some compared to ODIs. I would rest Buttler, drop Roy to his batting spot and bring in another opening batsmen. Don't know who though.

I believe Pope was on standby incase Roy had concussion (hit on the helmet during nets), so it will probably be him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2019 22:03 by JFPC.

Date: 25 August, 2019 22:15

Not sure I agree BB, they have now seen that batting isn't that hard when the Aussie attack gets tired.
Personally I think that much Test cricket is in the mind. Denly has finally got the message. Root to stay at 3 until they find an alternative, perhaps Sibley to replace Butler.

Is Anderson fit, if so we need him to combat Smith. The Aussies are battered mentally, we need to win the toss and bowl at them if conditions favour.

Date: 25 August, 2019 23:49

You have to bat the overs to get the oppo bowlers tired, then you cash in plus it gives your own bowlers rest time if you batted 2nd.

Roy's test match problem is not the 'play your natural game' mantra, it is playing it too early in the game. A drop down the order could be all he needs.

The feature of Stokes' innings was that he started very slow then attacked when he was seeing the ball so well, the ball was worn and the bowlers frustrated, classic test match batting.

I think there are parallels to rugby union, your forwards do the hard yards and the backs cut free later in the fame.

Not sure anyone wants to play rugby for 5 consecutive days but its all relative I guess.

Posted by: sid the seagull (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 01:05

Good assessment B4Betc.
But where do you put Roy, 6? Cos 5 seems to work for BS.
The other prob is 3 because JoeR should go 4 so he can get his head together.
Leaving the opener problem, I know people fancy Pope but donít we just need some really boring Boycott type who will stick around for aeons and not get out?
Brilliant day though - the roar from the pub could (apparently) be heard right across the beach.

PECKPECKPECK

Date: 26 August, 2019 11:43

Not sure Stokes has done enough to keep his place... ;-)

I woke up this morning and still can't quite believe what he did, after a long bowling stint, after CWC heroics (others who played still look shot) to save the Urn.

I am not as old as Boycott but when someone like him says it was the best test innings they have seen you know it was special.

I don't have all the answers to team selection but just hope they make a small change, they can't rely on once (twice) in a lifetime performances to dig them out of holes.

The bowling looks set, if all are fit, they might be tempted to bring Anderson back if OK on his home ground but only if Woakes has a niggle as Woakes is a class cricketer. I think Buttler might be the one to rest. Good point about Pope above, then keep the other 10 to retain the spirit of the Headingly team.

Date: 26 August, 2019 12:07

As Surrey supporter I don't think Pope is the man, its too early for him and he is recently back from injury. Its almost a Butler like for like replacement. We need a No 3 who can stick around so Root can go to 4.
Agree about Stokes though, bound to be a reaction you can't do the same thing time after time.
Having said that he just has.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 26 August, 2019 22:05

I see the Aussie press are whinging that Stokes should have been given out LBW with 2 to get. They do love a double standard, don't they? Suck it up, Crims.

Mind you, Tim Paine is showing extreme class and leadership. That's a lot more worrying for England smiling smiley

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 26 August, 2019 23:08

When I saw the replay of the LBW incident last night I actually thought that DRS might have made a mistake and the umpire was right. The ball might have clipped the front pad as it bounced and the deflection picked up by DRS as turn off the pitch. Will check again. The umpiring has been poor but with the flight of the ball in real time I can understand why it wasn't given.

The burned review was also understandable, I think Eng only needed 8 to win at the time and nerves were frayed in the field.

Agree about Paine, must have been gutted but said all the right things after the match. Journos at the Sydney Morning Herald see the right side of it too, a match to remember.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 27 August, 2019 10:32

It was one of those events where I watched the extended highlights again yesterday, a day after the event, and found myself hoping England would win, despite knowing they had...Ö...if you know what I mean!

Date: 27 August, 2019 10:46

I agree BSJ, I still think Lyons is going to complete the run out! Can't believe he keeps dropping it.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 27 August, 2019 11:03

Off Thread but relevant to comments above....

Many years ago I was invited to a lunch celebrating 50 years of the BaBas playing international rugby. Mickie Steele Bodger, then playing hooker for England, arranged for an extra game against the All Blacks against the BaBas at Twickenham to raise money so the All Blacks could go back to NZ via the US and play some extra games there.

Anyway in 1997 I was at this lunch, say 250 people, and there were small TV screens around the edge of the modestly sized room. I happened to have one above my head but of course looked at one on the other side of the room which happened to be above my God's head.....Gareth Edwards!

Tables were for eight people and we four were sharing with some much older Irish blokes. Any way as they went through the highlights of the previous 50 years of the BaBas against the touring team we got to the late 50's and one of the two older gentlemen, having observed a rather greedy centre hang onto the ball and only just score a try when the simple move was one more pass to a man in space and a certain try, said "every time I see this I know you are going to pass to me and then every time inexplicably you don't and I feel let down all over again!"

Lunch became a lot more interesting!

Finally I had the amazing but slightly weird experience of watching Gareth score "that try" with him watching me......well it felt that way but of course he was looking at the screen above my head!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net