Current Page: 2 of 9
Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER
Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 21:17

Picture The Reverend Ian Paisley in full volume?

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 21:18

Thank you.

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 12 November, 2019 21:19

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Robbinho
The 'No Surrender' reference is very convoluted and in pretty poor taste.

Agree with that. A lot of pain has been associated with that phrase over the years.

Gentlemen, i think more pain has been caused by bombs and bullets rather than these two words. Each to their own views of course...

Adopted players: 2019/20 T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2019 12:05 by P G Tips.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 05:17

I’m not sure they were mutually exclusive Clarkey.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 08:07

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Robbinho

Agree with that. A lot of pain has been associated with that phrase over the years.

Gentlemen, i think more pain has been caused by bombs and bullets rather than these two words. Each to their own views of course...

History is history and cannot be rewritten. We can learn from history and such valiant and sacrificial acts. We all want a fortress Rec and the lads to ensure no weakness in our resolve.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2019 12:04 by P G Tips.

Posted by: Robbinho (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 08:12

It also has clear and obvious links to football hooliganism and the far right movement in England as well as being highly provocative and offensive in a long and deadly history of sectarian violence. I’m not sure that’s something Bath or Ulster fans would particularly want to be associated with.

Why do England fans sing No Surrender? [www.bbc.co.uk]

Date: 13 November, 2019 08:33

I see no clear and obvious links to football hooliganism in PGT’s article. I think that is stretching the use of the words “no surrender” to find something offensive. The article is clear to me that we don’t want our lads to surrender at fortress rec which is the Hooper plan. Let’s face it we have done so in the past.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: ilovebathtime (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 08:40

Quote:
CoochieCoo
I see no clear and obvious links to football hooliganism in PGT’s article. I think that is stretching the use of the words “no surrender” to find something offensive. The article is clear to me that we don’t want our lads to surrender at fortress rec which is the Hooper plan. Let’s face it we have done so in the past.

I don't think those words would have been used if we were playing any other team in world rugby. The truth is those words do have meaning, specifically to people from the place we are playing on Saturday.

Posted by: Robbinho (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 10:38

Quote:
ilovebathtime
Quote:
CoochieCoo

I don't think those words would have been used if we were playing any other team in world rugby. The truth is those words do have meaning, specifically to people from the place we are playing on Saturday.

This is exactly my point. I'm not trying to find something to be offended by, it just instantly struck me as being tone deaf at best.

Date: 13 November, 2019 10:50

Referee: Marius Mitrea

Assistant Referees: Manuel Bottino, Mateto Liperini

TMO: Stefano Penne

Citing Commissioner: Beth Dickens

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 11:36

Quote:
ilovebathtime
Quote:
ChippenhamRoman
Quote:
Robbinho

Why?

Maybe watch the brilliant Brian O'Driscoll documentary shoulder to shoulder if you want to learn a bit more about the troubles and why it shouldn't be trivialised. The use of language used by either side in a sporting context is for me unnecesarily antagonistic.

Have to say that was my immediate thought when I read the thread title

Thread titles have consistently had a humorous theme linked to the club we are playing and often I've found them witty and amusing but the connotations of this one quite simply cannot be funny in anyone's perception

I don't think anything offensive was ever intended but please change it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/11/2019 12:05 by P G Tips.

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:07

Now changed.

No offence intended -apologies to those who took it.

To clarify:

No intentional reference to Football in any form -particularly not hooliganism.

I abhor far right & far left politics equally.

Let's get back to the rugby.

PG

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:12

Cheers PG, great review by the way

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:23

I can understand the concerns over using this phrase in connection with this particular match but what is the connection with the “far right”?

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:27

My hunch is that most RWC players once back into training would want to play in this. 1st round, home game, all to play for and following a home win in the domestic.

Probable exceptions Flo and Sam.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 12:58

I know Sam U had a very full-on World Cup. But it is a full 2 weeks since his last game. That seems a pretty decent period of time to recover. I'd hope to see him on the bench at least. It's mid-November - and if it had been a normal season, he might have expected to play 8-10 games by now. Yes, internationals are harder, but then so are international players.

No criticism if he doesn't play - the player and the Club will know the exact state of readiness of each of the players. Just opining that if he (and others) does play, that also seems perfectly reasonable.

Posted by: sirtidychris (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 18:03

Given that Sam has been playing rugby solidly for 18months I would have thought they all need more than two weeks. Given how sam plays we should give him a 4-6 weeks

Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 21:45

The intensity of a world cup campaign isn't just related to how many minutes they were on the pitch. The mental strain is also significant.
They might just have a life away from rugby - and I think they will benefit from some time away from the oval ball.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 November, 2019 21:52

Brew has just been handed a 3-week suspension. So I hope that RMcc and JCok are ready to rumble.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 14 November, 2019 09:22

So do I Dr bath, so do I. Let's hope they get pass or two in space to help them attack the opposition.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Current Page: 2 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net