Current Page: 5 of 9
Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER Both teamsí up
Posted by: rodoftherec (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 16:43

Sadly with this nine and ten we will not get too far - we will win some and lose some but we will not win enough to make a mark. We will also not lose enough to get embarrassed but we will not trouble the scorers too much - they have both been vg players but are now average at best and until we get better we will be mediocre at best.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 16:43

When we, and RP in particular pass out of the back, the pass is fired back about 5 metres. Other teams pass just behind the front/blocking option making it way harder for the defence to react. We constantly ended up behind rage gain line today.

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 16:58

Quote:
supermarinematt
Quote:
ken_jnr
Nolly Waterman absolutely rinsing us in commentary. She isnít wrong in anything she is saying mind you.

She was on the money - we played way to much rugby in the middle of the field and due to the lack of creativity we have we just go side to side and do nothing with the ball.

Should have won that with the territory and possession we had. The lack of go forward we have is really limiting us and nullifying the good work the forwards are doing

Agree, so what is Girvan Dempsey doing with the backs ?

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies
Adopted Player 2020/21 Cam Redpath

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: terracehugger (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 16:58

9,10 and 12.

At best, totally ineffective with a complete lack of creative skills.
It really doesnít matter who occupies the remaining back line spots, they will simply be working on crumbs!

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 17:19

I too thought the Ulster player (hooker?) fortunate to escape a card. I was in line with the incident and from my angle I am surprised anybody could consider it anything but a deliberate knee into the tackle.

A card would have changed the next passage of play so who knows what the result might have been?

That said, I agree that despite the brightness of some of our play, too much was lateral, too many passes too deep and we made some sloppy errors.

A lot of good, sadly undone by too much bad.

PG

Posted by: Rokobilly (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 17:20

I'm depressed and encouraged in equal measures

Posted by: Woodster (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 18:40

Not a great game to watch but there you go.

Personally, I'm sure I'm seeing a more determined, more motivated Bath who are trying to play more pleasing rugby. Clearly, it's going to be patchy but I for one think there are some good signs.

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 18:53

Part of the problem in attack is we don't have a playmaking 12. JJ's got grubbers and chips but it's box it off 9, or Rhys' slow deliberate kicking. Other than that, you can defend flat because it's hands and carrying into contact.

If we had a Mike Catt type 12 or if Freddie was a real midfield option we would be more difficult to defend against.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:01

Itís quite amazing how almost every single time we put in a grubber or cross field kick, we either lose 50 metres and are suddenly on the defensive, or we just concede a try.

Itís usually Freddieís awful kicking game that puts us under pressure, sometimes Joseph, today it was Chudley.

Should have won that but mentally not strong enough against the big teams and we were barely going to make any impression in this competition anyway.

Yet another Cup we bow out of early. Our brand of ďrugbyĒ doesnít deserve to go through anyway, just terrible.

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:11

Then go and watch someone/something else instead and give us all a break!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:24

List of most predictable things known to mankind:

#1: Ballsout slags off Bath Rugby after a loss
#2: Bathovalballer slags off Bath Rugby and Ewels in particular after a loss
#3: neither are seen or heard of after a win
#4: the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:26

BT have just shown 2 more angles of the hit on Mercer at the end. Zero attempt at a legal tackle, clear shoulder charge, probably a yellow in that position.
We just don't seem to ever get those decisions in our favour. Same last year when the Toulouse player should have been red carded as the citing proved.

Posted by: BathHalfFull (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:31

I'm actually seeing signs of real encouragement. I feared the worst this season but if we continue to develop then I can see us getting forward dominance in a fair number of games this season and we actually started to put some backs moves together today so with our internationals back we could play some decent stuff. yes we failed to score at the death but we went from our 22 to their 5m line with some really good play and but for a great effort by stockdale we'd have pulled it off. Yes Zach could have maybe not thrown the pass and backed ourselves to recycle but i put it down to good defending. Onwards and upwards but I'm seeing progress for sure.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:34

Not sure it was anything to do with mental strength - there was little to separate the teams in reality, and it took guts to come from behind, and to create such a clear cut chance at the end. We just don't have the finesse. Ulster made as many mistakes as us - but i don't suppose they do that week in, week out. I thought Chudley and Priestland started really well - Chudley in particular was putting real pace on it, which seemed to stem from quicker ball, and that gave Priestland a yard or two extra. But as soon as those initial patterns were done with, and they had to busk it there just didn't seem to be any real instinct for turning position into points and for seizing the moment.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:37

Quote:
Dorset Boy
BT have just shown 2 more angles of the hit on Mercer at the end. Zero attempt at a legal tackle, clear shoulder charge, probably a yellow in that position.
We just don't seem to ever get those decisions in our favour. Same last year when the Toulouse player should have been red carded as the citing proved.

There was a hit on Mercer in the first half when he was injured that looked no arms as well, add to that the leg lead into Burns and there was quite a lot missed.
Couldn't see from the TV but they also looked hugely offside at times in the backs.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:42

Key incorrect decisions from the officials gave that win to Ulster. Furious having seen those calls a number of times.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 19:44

Quote:
BathHalfFull
I'm actually seeing signs of real encouragement. I feared the worst this season but if we continue to develop then I can see us getting forward dominance in a fair number of games this season and we actually started to put some backs moves together today so with our internationals back we could play some decent stuff. yes we failed to score at the death but we went from our 22 to their 5m line with some really good play and but for a great effort by stockdale we'd have pulled it off. Yes Zach could have maybe not thrown the pass and backed ourselves to recycle but i put it down to good defending. Onwards and upwards but I'm seeing progress for sure.

+1

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: Long Term (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 20:18

Quote:
BathMatt53
List of most predictable things known to mankind:
#1: Ballsout slags off Bath Rugby after a loss(AND FREDDIE BURNS IN PARTICULAR)
#2: Bathovalballer slags off Bath Rugby and Ewels in particular after a loss
#3: neither are seen or heard of after a win
#4: the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Please excuse the correction in highlights. Like others I see a team commitment to improvement and some good signs. It felt like two evenly matched sides out there and if we had had the early touch of luck and taken an early lead I think it would have been a different result.

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 20:45

Too often we're plagued with TMO referrals.

Today there were too few - knee to Freddie, no arms on Zac.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 21:11

Looking at the highlights Zac at already off loaded the ball before he was hit! Donít think there was a penalty there but will try an put a video up to check!

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Current Page: 5 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net