Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER Both teamsí up
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 21:15

Coochie, the angles shown by BT clearly show no arms, no attempt to wrap, just an illegal shoulder charge which is a cast iron penalty, and possible yellow card, plus it was in the act of passing for a likely try. If after the offload then it was late too.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 21:40

As Optimist says, we almost never get any rub of the green or 50:50 calls from officials. Getting a bit weird tbh.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 21:55

There are signs of optimism, having said that and watching today I could not help but say to myself what would we give for any type of consistency. We have beaten the Chiefs and Saints at the Rec and we should have despatched Ulster no excuses. No disrespect meant to Ulster but at home on a heavy pitch we should have won that game comfortably it should not be coming down to the last play and bemoaning poor officiating, but again as Hooper stated we let ourselves down with poor play and a lack of attack. There are no excuses. Congratulations and well played Ulster.

We have a good squad yes we are lacking a quality reliable playmaker but what we have is hardly shabby 2 seasoned international 10's, we have a proven attack Coach and a star studded backline so please someone tell me why is our attack non existent??

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 22:30

That was like watching Wasps of old. Why bother with an offside line? Not a big fan of the Italian interpretation of the laws....

There was some promise there but... Still a lack of incision in the backs.

Shame we couldn't finish it. Would have done our confidence a world of good.

Adopted Player:
[20] - Will Vaughan
[19] -
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 22:34

For my money Ali 9 and 10 are far far too predictable. RP is slowing down noticeably, charge down and blocked pass two games on the trot. Chudley's box kicking is not contestable and readable.
Bit worried about Freddy and his cramp as well.

We have a decent pack and I was surprised on a heavy ground we didn't kick to the corners even though our line out wasn't working too well.

Overall though we looked loads better, 17 + phases at one point and Roko loves smashing people back. Loved the hit on Stockdale. Disappointed but way better.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 22:35

Here you are DB

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 22:35

So the one try we scored and the only time we looked threatening Mercer picks from the base of the scrum and throws a miss pass (cutting out 9, 10 & 12 ) direct to JJ who puts Gabe into space at pace. Interesting.

Date: 16 November, 2019 22:51

Yes, JJ had an odd game but hid did throw a great pass for the try. Has he ever played 12? We could do with a centre that can pass.

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 22:53

Ah ok. Not cutting out 9, 10, 12. Deliberately and clearly a training ground move where Chudley moves open calling for the ball and pulling the defence while Mercer deliberately breaks blind and exploits the space.

Come on, that was a great move.

Am gutted we lost that. Two really bad bits of luck led to 14 points against us. Ulster's defence was excellent. But we've got a good young pack, the most solid set piece we've had in years and there are signs of opening up behind. Yes creativity at 10/12 is concerning (what is Max Wright's crash ball to knock on ratio?). But actually I'm kind of ok iff we continue to develop.

Date: 16 November, 2019 23:07

Quote:
hasta
Come on, that was a great move.

Not sure anyone is saying it wasn't actually.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 16 November, 2019 23:12

Dcsh was, actually. (Tbh our posts crossed, I think it looks like mine is a response to you)

Posted by: supermarinematt (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 00:03

There seems to be one move I've noticed they have used a few times in the last few games, where Chudley passes but then loops around the 10 & 12 to create an extra man. Simple move but effective. Its one of the few times they don't slow the ball down or let JR just crash it up the middle. The should try utilise that miss pass as well, again simple stuff but works, especially if you have players coming on at pace.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 00:26

Well I thought that was one of the better games we have seen at the Rec for some time.

On occasions, we attacked with menace and pace. Great shame our passing in the centre, apart from JJ's one to Hamer-Webb, was so poor, Rhuard M never got a pass all day.

The pack did well generally and Ewels is growing into captaincy. He has a very effective game too.

Underhill was devastating in some of his tackling and linked well on occasions. Roko looked back to his best and completed a couple of huge tackles of his own.

Allison at full back cleared up a lot of potential grief for Ulster who were lucky with their two breakaway tries from our errors.

It was enjoyable to watch, the officials were poor at times for both sides, but we showed great spirit and resolution in nearly nicking a game we could and probably should of won. From where I sat I couldn't see the end of the last play, so cannot comment on what went on. I feel if we play like that again, we will win more than we will lose and am hopeful for the future.

Adopted player 2020/21 Beno 'the Transformer' Obano

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.The Jink Joseph.
Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 00:37

Having now watched the replay I am rather disappointed with our performance. A number of aspects of our game, some of which had come on by leaps & bounds, didnít function at all well today despite a huge amount of effort & pain put in by the boys. The line out was poor, we were under pressure in the scrum, there was no hint of a rolling maul, we made too many errors, our kicking game was poor,
JJ can never find space in a Bath shirt. SH seems to have acknowledged much of this so they will need redouble their efforts.

Date: 17 November, 2019 00:43

Quote:
Dorset Boy
Coochie, the angles shown by BT clearly show no arms, no attempt to wrap, just an illegal shoulder charge which is a cast iron penalty, and possible yellow card, plus it was in the act of passing for a likely try. If after the offload then it was late too.

CC has put up the video showing the no arms tackle on Mercer, in fact if you roll back to the previous pass about 30 yds from the line there is another dubious tackle, certainly little wrap if at all in that move.

BnG is right, no enough TMO in this game.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 01:22

We played well and lost. It happens and I'd be pretty sure we'll play worse and win - maybe even in the return fixture. I was encouraged by the forwards. The backs do look pedestrian. JJ at 12 (or least least swapping with the good doctor) would be very interesting. But when alls said and done, we need a more threatening 10.

Our last play, BTW, was criminally naive.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 06:01

Quote:
joethefanatic

Why?

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 07:15

They were so close to (over?) the offside line all day that by the time Ball was in JJs hands he was wearing an Ulsterman. Given that it was clearly never going to be pinged they needed to work the doglegs rather than going straight at them - didnít see many Bath players cutting angles through the centres to take this opportunity, Iím not sure JR has this in his toolbox (the speed needed)?

With several centres out of contract we need to be looking at someone like Seta Tamanivalu IMO unless we are going to turn JC into a 12 which would be awesome to see...!

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 07:51 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 08:24

Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
joethefanatic

Why?

We're one point down, times up, we have possession in the opposite half and we send a single runner up in the 12 channel from off the top line out ball. Who gets isolated and holds on. Penalty. Cue fat lady.

Drive the line out ball, commit the fringe defence, keep possession at all costs, As long as you don't make a mistake, you have an infinite amount to time to score and any score will do. Milk a penalty. Set up a drop goal. Anything, really, BUT TREASURE THE FECKING BALL LIKE IT IS YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/11/2019 08:25 by joethefanatic.

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 09:00

The problem as I mentioned in a previous post our transfer team went on a public search for a new 10, they informed RP he was Not going to be offered a new contract etc blah blah blah

For whatever reason and we will never be publicly told by Tarquin the club failed to attract a 10 and had to grovel to RP and pay him an enormous new deal which his performances had not deserved and in addition our DoR spookily changed his mind in relation to remaining at the club - I am sure the two are not linked (Sm147)

On a positive note it looks like the vocal Sarries who stormed WE WILL APPEAL THIS IS DISGUSTING may not be actually appealing at all for fear of relegation so there may be players becoming available at the end of the season, providing ourselves and the other Premiership clu step up and do not capitulate against them, really feel for the true Sarries supporters if true because you have been cheated and your clubs name tarnished beyond reproach.

Sad because I genuinely believe Nigel Wray is a good man and when I met him he was passionate about rugby and player welfare especially post career but his position is untenable and he will for the good of the game needs to sadly fa on his sword.

Current Page: 6 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net