Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 09:03

Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
joethefanatic
Our last play, BTW, was criminally naive.

Why?

We're one point down, times up, we have possession in the opposite half and we send a single runner up in the 12 channel from off the top line out ball. Who gets isolated and holds on. Penalty. Cue fat lady.

Drive the line out ball, commit the fringe defence, keep possession at all costs, As long as you don't make a mistake, you have an infinite amount to time to score and any score will do. Milk a penalty. Set up a drop goal. Anything, really, BUT TREASURE THE FECKING BALL LIKE IT IS YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD.

Well said.

Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER Both teams’ up
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 09:21

Or run in an injury time try which they were a cats whisker away from doing.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Date: 17 November, 2019 09:25

Doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible play to run and that comes back to Ewels for calling it. We were lucky to get another opportunity anyway thanks to Ulster messing up the end of the game.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:02

Quote:
ballsout
Quote:
joethefanatic
Quote:
Bath Hammer
Quote:
joethefanatic
Our last play, BTW, was criminally naive.

Why?

We're one point down, times up, we have possession in the opposite half and we send a single runner up in the 12 channel from off the top line out ball. Who gets isolated and holds on. Penalty. Cue fat lady.

Drive the line out ball, commit the fringe defence, keep possession at all costs, As long as you don't make a mistake, you have an infinite amount to time to score and any score will do. Milk a penalty. Set up a drop goal. Anything, really, BUT TREASURE THE FECKING BALL LIKE IT IS YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD.

Well said.

Two things.

1) "As long as you don't make a mistake" Absolutely key but what about the ref making a mistake?

2)"BUT TREASURE THE FECKING BALL LIKE IT IS YOUR FIRST BORN CHILD" We did our ball retention was good. That improvement needs to be noted.

The failure to win wasn't just in the last play, it was elsewhere but there has to be some recognition of the fact that we are significantly better as a side. Ewell's decisions are never going to be 100%.
It is close to the time when it has to be admitted that Hooper is doing OK.

The criticisms of fight, dog, ball retention, tackling have receded the new ones of "running the ball" are now appearing. We need game management but we are now a decent side.

https://i.ibb.co/Fz0bC3q/Unknown-1.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:12

Just rewatched the last play as we couldn’t really see what happened from the terrace. “tackle” on Mercer was late (ish) but absolutely a no arm shoulder charge. Clear penalty and potentially a card. Ref just wanted the game over, assistant ref not really looking. On such small moments are games won and lost.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:28

Quote:
hasta
Dcsh was, actually. (Tbh our posts crossed, I think it looks like mine is a response to you)
No I wasn’t, I was pointing out if we cut out the static shovelling along the line and put our damaged men in space at pace we can score tries like that.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:35

Quote:
shipwrecked

The failure to win wasn't just in the last play, it was elsewhere but there has to be some recognition of the fact that we are significantly better as a side. Disagree, only the lineout is significantly improved

Ewell's decisions are never going to be 100%. Absolutely true, he seems to be doing a good job.

It is close to the time when it has to be admitted that Hooper is doing OK. Absolutely not

The criticisms of fight, dog, ball retention, tackling have receded the new ones of "running the ball" are now appearing. We need game management but we are now a decent side Disagree again.

Yesterday's game was pretty poor from both sides and could have gone either way, Bath just didn't get the rub of the green. Not sure why Bath bother with wingers though as we rarely use them effectively.

Date: 17 November, 2019 10:45

Quote:
OutsideBath
Quote:
shipwrecked

The failure to win wasn't just in the last play, it was elsewhere but there has to be some recognition of the fact that we are significantly better as a side. Disagree, only the lineout is significantly improved

Ewell's decisions are never going to be 100%. Absolutely true, he seems to be doing a good job.

It is close to the time when it has to be admitted that Hooper is doing OK. Absolutely not

The criticisms of fight, dog, ball retention, tackling have receded the new ones of "running the ball" are now appearing. We need game management but we are now a decent side Disagree again.

Yesterday's game was pretty poor from both sides and could have gone either way, Bath just didn't get the rub of the green. Not sure why Bath bother with wingers though as we rarely use them effectively.

Wishful thinking that there might be at least some recognition so what does Hooper have to do to achieve some sort of recognition for you.

P.S. We have a solid scrum, excellent back row that competes at the breakdown and a lineout that was working, up to yesterday. How is that not an improvement.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 10:57

Quote:
shipwrecked
Wishful thinking that there might be at least some recognition so what does Hooper have to do to achieve some sort of recognition for you.

Win all our home games, finish in top 4 and qualify for HC quarter finals would have me saying Hooper has done a good job.

He's not alone in concerning me though. Our 9, 10, 12 certainly aren't the best but I would expect a half decent attack coach to do something with 2 ex internationals and a former PL winning 9.

I like what Charteris is doing with the lineout and our defence in midfield yesterday seemed better as well.

I just don't agree we are a significantly better side as you maintain.

Date: 17 November, 2019 11:15

OB, I didn't say good job, I said OK.

He said he was going to sort out the forwards, they are miles better before Hatley gets to work.
Everyone, I mean everyone agrees we need 9,10,12 but that is down to availability unless you have a suggestion?

You can't say we are not better than last year, we couldn't retain the ball, deal with restarts, tackle, scrum, win lineouts, throw in catch the ball......

Plus we have young talent coming through, it all part of the club.

You are right though we do need half backs.....have we signed Rhys Webb yet?

Date: 17 November, 2019 11:23

Compared to where we are at the start of the season, being nilled at half time in a few games, there's definitely been an improvement. Having said that, still lost at home, again look likely be out of a Cup after just a couple of rounds as usual. And we still make so many mistakes, it's so frustrating to watch.

Posted by: miller8 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 12:32

This team can only get better especially when World Cup and injury returnees get back into the rhythm...

Date: 17 November, 2019 12:43

Quote:
miller8
This team can only get better especially when World Cup and injury returnees get back into the rhythm...

Other teams will get better too

Posted by: Banachek (IP Logged)
Date: 17 November, 2019 14:38

Should/could have won this one...
The lack of incision from the centres against Ulster was down to a couple of things IMO
1) playing Roberts, yes he hits it up but rarely breaks the line. He rarely offloads in the tackle either so no continuity to build pressure drag in defenders so creating space outside.
2) slow ball from rucks, partly SH , partly Ulster doing a job at slowing it down.
3) Pitch heavy, with all the "weather" over the last couple of weeks , means players like JJ just cant step / use their footwork .

Until we have options/plays that allows us to get some penetration up the middle we won't be able to exploit the space outside this creates.

Posted by: Griff (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 13:18

Like others have said I do think there are signs of improvement and we scored another first phase try. We do need a 10 who can take the ball flat and at pace, sadly RP is just shipping the ball on, though he did play a lot of the game on 1 leg.

Apart from the no arms tackle at the end, I'm still smarting over the lack of forward pass given for their second try and the fact RM was down injured at the time after being (you could argue, taken out in the air as the Ulster player didn't exactly make much of an effort to go for the ball) the ref still allowed play to continue around him whilst being treated, when he should have blown up before that as play was becoming unsafe! with a player down.

"You're going to need a bigger boat"

Miles Reid Adopted Player 2019/20

Posted by: Shadders (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 13:33

BT sport clip here with BOD and Lol analysing the final play.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 14:04

Quote:
Shadders
BT sport clip

They got lucky with that one for sure, not that it matters now.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 14:08

Quote:
Griff
I'm still smarting over ... the fact RM was down injured at the time

…. that was going through my mind when they scored, and I was trying to think how you work out a compromise so that teams aren't immediately handicapped by losing a player to injury, without going down the football route where players tactically stop the game by feigning injury.

Posted by: Rawce (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 14:43

Those around me reckoned it was the bounce that went forward, not the pass which is fine. The missed knee to Freddie's shoulder grates, as well as the final passage of play.

Also - [twitter.com] Stockdale must have a fair few kgs and cms on Roko!

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 15:04

Quote:
Shadders
BT sport clip here with BOD and Lol analysing the final play.
I think Lol was busy think about what to have for tea or something as he kept saying that the “try” stood regardless, but they should have come back for the penalty.

Current Page: 7 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net