Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER Both teamsí up
Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 18:21

You don't need a second distributor at 12 (see Exeter, England, Sarries) they can easily be at 13. JJ has the handling but not the kicking skills for it imo. Plus he has, I think, an inclination to run more than distribute.

Look, clearly Priestland/Roberts are not the forces they were, but those are internationals. Many, many teams have won the prem without internationals at 10/12.

We're building a pack that can absolutely mix it with any other British and Irish pack. We have gas outside. We don't *need* all stars at 9/10/12. We need good patterns, good decision making, trust, skills, direction and discipline.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 18:29

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Thing is Opti, and this is a rare admission from me (!), I was not the fastest off the mark, but if you chip high very late then you can run through whilst they are firstly recognising that you have not passed, they then have to stop.........whilst you are accelerating (OK in my case running marginally quicker) they are then turning and then trying to catch you up from a standing start.
Of course the person who kicks does not have to be the person who catches so imagine putting Rory M and JJ at 12 and 13 surely one of them could catch a well placed kick.......take on the full back and pass to the other.........see easy peasy!!

I agree BSJ, but a little chip over the top when you are running is really hard, needs practice and a lot of it and it is easy to charge down, thats why the grubber is easier but the point is as you say it just has to go behind them.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Trawling (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 20:42

The challenge with your analysis Opti is that:
A: we nearly scored on the final play on Saturday
B: we thought the diamond attacking shape was God's gift until Sarries completely shut it down in the final
Having said that, I entirely agree that whatever you are going to do needs to be done at, just before or just after contact, whether it's jack ball, face ball or offload. No time for the defenders to react so they have to predict which makes the attackers' job easier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2019 20:49 by Trawling.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2019 08:52

'The challenge with your analysis Opti is that: A: we nearly scored on the final play on Saturday'

As posted above - the fact that we nearly scored on the final play is irrelevant when you look at the sequence of events. A tip-on simply isn't part of a pre-planned move - it's a 'spontaneous, sh*it or bust desperation play - the sort of thing you do if you've got penalty advantage. If Cook had just caught the ball he would have been wiped out, Ulster would have swarmed all over him and it would have been turnover ball. I'll accept though the challenge that Cook is not a winger/full-back and so cutting that line would be fairly unfamiliar to him.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 20 November, 2019 22:43

Quote:
Optimist
On the highlights - stop the clock at 6' 42. Priestland is pulling the ball back literally 10-12 metres, and directly behind him. My impression is that was the norm with RP's passes out the back. Surely the set up has got to be tighter than that to really challenge the defence?

At the risk of being video replay nerd check the play at 49:45

RP is close to the defensive line but has to hold up the pass because Ulster player has stepped up for interception. RP looks momentarily phased but then passes flat to Ewells who is through and mskes another 10 metres into their 22. If his pass goes to underhill its a try

A more instinctive 10 like ford would pose that threat more often

On another note go to 51:45 when their 2 puts knee deliberately to Freddie's head when one on one on our 22. Surely something that should have been looked at more closely?

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2019 09:32

Watched the last play again and now the no-arm tackle looks so obvious but guess at that point in the game the TMO was cracking open his complimentary bottle of bushmills (Sm14)

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 21 November, 2019 16:02

Quote:
gaz59
Watched the last play again and now the no-arm tackle looks so obvious but guess at that point in the game the TMO was cracking open his complimentary bottle of bushmills (Sm14)

I think he was tucking into his Paella Italiano at half time and fell asleep ! (Sm120)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies
Adopted Player 2020/21 Cam Redpath

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Current Page: 9 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net