Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: PREVIEW: BATH v ULSTER Both teamsí up
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 15:14

If we were a bit unlucky, then we should be good enough to go an get a win at Ulster. I'm not sure if they were missing many first-choice on Saturday? But if we can add Flo, Taulupe, Joe C and Ant to the mix then it's far from impossible.

Posted by: supermarinematt (IP Logged)
Date: 18 November, 2019 18:20

Quote:
Griff
I'm still smarting over the lack of forward pass given for their second try

Pass went backwards, it was the bounce that went forwards so the try is ok

Posted by: Bath Hammer (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 04:01

It is true that we were at the wrong end of some decisions but they were very close with one, possibly, two try attempts & I donít remember us threatening their line. Our lineout was poor & we made errors at crucial times. We had a lot of the ball but lacked incisiveness. Also, disappointingly, we didnít see a glimpse of a rolling maul. Overall going forward I am less than encouraged by that performance apart from the spirit & effort.

Posted by: Boldangrey (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 08:45

Normally I would have back Zac and Roko on a 2 on 2, but there was actually poor decision making in the last non-try.

Zac would have run through that tackle 9 times out of 10 if he had held the ball.

The touch line acts as an extra defender in that situation. Had Roko cut inside earlier he would have given himself more space. As it was, even if the interception was not made he would probably have been bundled into touch.

Posted by: dr.bath1865 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 09:07

I'm amazed Zach passed! He never passes, hardly all game, which is fine because his footwork and contact work are so strong. But unlike the rest of the forwards who look to tip the ball on or give the pass out the back, Zach almost always takes it on himself.

I'd have loved to have seen him dummy and go for it. Cooney might've stopped him a metre or two out. But we're going forward with momentum, we've potential penalty advantage from the Cooney 'hit', potential penalties as Ulster retreat, the chance to pick and go towards the posts... ah what might have been.

But if Zach hadn't passed and we hadn't scored, I'd have been wishing he'd given it to Roko!

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 09:37

No blame to the Bath players at the end, Stockdale came from an angle where he could not be seen. I guess 50/50 on whether Zac would have run through the 9, I don't think a dummy would have worked necessarily as Stockdale had already told the 9 to take Zac, pointing as he was running, credit to him.

Date: 19 November, 2019 09:45

I'd rather focus on the miracle catch that Zach made + the skill of whoever it was who tipped it on to him - after 80 minutes of full-on action, when your skills are at their most vulnerable - and the energy and spirit that put Bath in that position in the first place. Stockdale's defensive work, as described by Dallaglio, was absolutely fascinating too. Just great rugby all round.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 10:26

Quote:
Optimist
+ the skill of whoever it was who tipped it on to him

Chris Cook

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: Deckchair (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 10:30

Ulster deserved the win by dint of an excellent defence game strategy that forced Bath to make mistakes, travel sideways and box kick to nowhere. Ulster then had the skills and players to take advantage of those Bath mistakes. MoM was the Ulster scrum half. Chudley no way near as influential or creative. The Bath 3/4 line is blunt and clueless and bang 'n crash is no longer a viable game plan.
Ulster took their chances because we gave them more ( with a little help from poor match officials) and they had the players to accept. Our best 3/4 line break was made by our number 8. Our pack has been the most positive development this year but our lineout wobbled against Ulster and the bad old penalty count has started mounting again.
Early days yet so let's hope that Bath can begin to finally get it all together - but the blunt 3/4 line is a concern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2019 10:31 by Deckchair.

Date: 19 November, 2019 10:45

On the highlights - stop the clock at 6' 42. Priestland is pulling the ball back literally 10-12 metres, and directly behind him. My impression is that was the norm with RP's passes out the back. Surely the set up has got to be tighter than that to really challenge the defence?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 11:23

Quote:
Optimist
On the highlights - stop the clock at 6' 42. Priestland is pulling the ball back literally 10-12 metres, and directly behind him. My impression is that was the norm with RP's passes out the back. Surely the set up has got to be tighter than that to really challenge the defence?

Isn't that a function of compensating for their offside defence, they run two lines one in front of the other, the regular backs are dummy runners and Cook and Zac are the second line. Its what gets us wide in the first place.

I agree that RP plays too deep though, if he doesn't threaten the midfield by his running or short chip kicks through his backs are always going to be predictable. He has no variation.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Date: 19 November, 2019 11:45

Screengrab of the final play on Saturday. I think this was typical of the way we were set up. Look at RP's shoulders - it is physically impossible for the flat runner to be a potential recipient of the pass. The set up with Bath in Mike/GF days is so much tighter. The ball actually went out the back, but in the freeze-frame below you still don't know which of the 2 runners is getting the ball (from Eastmond, I think).

https://i.ibb.co/0cdqjJM/rp.png

https://i.ibb.co/sQWyZgK/gf.png

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2019 11:53 by Optimist.

Date: 19 November, 2019 11:49

We seem to rely massively on Zac both going forward & in last ditch tackles despite the fact that he must be carrying numerous aches & pains. Few others show up nearly as much. Underhill was fairly invisible as was McConaghy. JJ offers himself a lot but just seems to slip over in the tackle. We have a lot of work to do to get that backline performing as an effective & incisive unit & as has been said itís not helped by rather uninspiring halfbacks.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 12:13

I watched JJ at the weekend quite a bit. He runs in fast, stops while he does a little Riverdance style step thing, scrubs all his speed (maybe slips over) and gets nailed. I wish he would just keep the momentum going and then pass to the winger or an inside man who also has momentum...I din't notice it for England so either I wasn't watching or he doesn't feel the need to try and force something with England where the ball is better and quicker?

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Date: 19 November, 2019 12:16

True Opti, but that it is one of the few occasions when we actually got the ball wide. Plus Ford is a quicker 10 than Priestland.
Basically though I agree about Priestland but that play isn't the best example. He was forced to play like that having been charged down last week and nearly intercepted early this week. Remember Chudley was also charged down.
The rush defence can be pushed back if you kick behind them, we didn't so thats a green light to charge up, RP compensated.
Is this coaching or is it the half backs? I preferred it when we did the scrum, lineout, rolling maul thing, to be honest, that way their backs are walking backwards.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 13:21

On Saturday on numerous occasions there was a large areas of green stuff behind the Ulster very, very fast up defence line (offside?)..........all it needed was a little chip kick (do I say this after every match) to get behind them a few times.

This would have two effects........keep their back line honest rather than just rushing straight up because they "knew" we were always going to pass it as described so clearly above, and might also cause their full back to be less deep to try and cover this option which in turn would open up the option of a very deep kick going over his head giving us the opportunity to really make some ground.

Freddie is generally the only one who seems to do this but for some weird reason, for a very talented footballer, he always kicks too far.

Date: 19 November, 2019 14:21

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
On Saturday on numerous occasions there was a large areas of green stuff behind the Ulster very, very fast up defence line (offside?)..........all it needed was a little chip kick (do I say this after every match) to get behind them a few times.
This would have two effects........keep their back line honest rather than just rushing straight up because they "knew" we were always going to pass it as described so clearly above, and might also cause their full back to be less deep to try and cover this option which in turn would open up the option of a very deep kick going over his head giving us the
opportunity to really make some ground.

Freddie is generally the only one who seems to do this but for some weird reason, for a very talented footballer, he always kicks too far.

Totally agree

Date: 19 November, 2019 14:40

'that it is one of the few occasions when we actually got the ball wide'

I'm not really sure that 'move' counts. It was entirely dependent, for its success, in Cook going for the flick (which indicates that he was actually getting man and ball, not that the pull-back had given him some space), and Zach catching that flick-on. That is simply not a repeatable process - it would only come off about 1 in 10 times.

I don't think the chip kick is so much in RP's repertoire because he's not quick enough off the mark to regather it himself, nor is Jamie Roberts. JJ would be, but 10 chipping to 13 is fairly rare. A bit more interchangeability between JJ and JR might help.

Date: 19 November, 2019 16:07

Quote:
Optimist
I don't think the chip kick is so much in RP's repertoire because he's not quick enough off the mark to regather it himself, nor is Jamie Roberts. JJ would be, but 10 chipping to 13 is fairly rare. A bit more interchangeability between JJ and JR might help.

Strongly agree, has JJ ever played 12?

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 19 November, 2019 17:56

Thing is Opti, and this is a rare admission from me (!), I was not the fastest off the mark, but if you chip high very late then you can run through whilst they are firstly recognising that you have not passed, they then have to stop.........whilst you are accelerating (OK in my case running marginally quicker) they are then turning and then trying to catch you up from a standing start.

Of course the person who kicks does not have to be the person who catches so imagine putting Rory M and JJ at 12 and 13 surely one of them could catch a well placed kick.......take on the full back and pass to the other.........see easy peasy!!

Current Page: 8 of 9
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net