Current Page: 1 of 2
Piutau signs for two more years
Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 16:36

Down the road. How is this adding up?!

Re: Piutau signs for two more years
Posted by: Rawce (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 16:52

Jon Evely says in his link to a piece about Rory Best signing for them that they're well under the cap, which is surprising, but I guess they are somehow making it work.

Posted by: Woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:13

Quote:
Rawce
Jon Evely says in his link to a piece about Rory Best signing for them that they're well under the cap, which is surprising, but I guess they are somehow making it work.

Have they got Nigel Wray in as an advisor?

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:21

A few teams are announcing re-signs. We could do with a bit of good news, Levi D and Sam Underhill for starters please (and Ellis assuming that he is out of contract).

Would guess that Paz, Roberts, Willison, Brew, Burns maybe off? If so thatís a few new guys needed in a few key positions.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 17:29

It would be a shame to lose Aled Brew.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Posted by: Rich. (IP Logged)
Date: 04 December, 2019 19:24

Big salaries this season at Bris are:
Piutau (marquee)
Luatua (marquee)
Afoa
Madigan
Hughes

Next season Madigan pretty certain to go (which helps Piutau of Luatua make way for Radradra as one of the marquees). Almost all the rest of the main squad are relatively cheap as they were 2 or 3rd choice elsewhere or were playing in Championship or are young and have come through the academy.

It will be a shame if everyone is cynical of every team due to Sarries. Bath's big salaries will be Falatau, Underhill, Priestand (yep he will), Joseph, Watson, Rokko and Louw (with TF and one other the marquees) + many of the rest will be on medium to high salaries. So I think it would be very surprising if Bath were not closer to the cap limit than Bris (both this season and next). Now as the likes of O'Connor, Bedlow, Sheesh, Helen, Randall, Thacker, Holmes, Dan Thomas etc come up for renewal it might get tighter but for now Bris clearly paying less on salaries (not including marquees) than the likes of Bath, Glaws, Quins.

Date: 04 December, 2019 19:46

Bath has said, like Quins, that they are at the cap. Lam has said that Bristol are well below. Seems pretty clear to me and don't doubt any of them.

I don't think that anyone would dare break the cap after the Sarries situation (other than unexpected ones inside the rules, like Wasps last year).

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Date: 04 December, 2019 21:43

If this is all true, then why is Bath considerably more rubbish than Bristol?!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 09:47

Quote:
dannyf2

I think it would be fairer to insert the word 'currently' in there Danny

As Rich rightly notes their less expensive players, very good that they appear to be will start to expect a higher salary in coming seasons and that will give them some tough decisions

Would also hope that Hoops will have learnt and developed a lot in his first year in post and the club may also have reconsidered the need for a Head Coach to support etc

I'm not denying the league table as it stands or indeed the evidence on the pitch but it is a current situation and many things can change

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 11:54

Quote:
dannyf2

Reason seems absolutely clear and has been discussed to death on other threads.

Posted by: cookiecrumble (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 13:07

And basing this on a league table a couple months after a World Cup, and very long training camp, at which a lot of Bath players were involved.

Number of Bristol players at the RWC? Siale Piutau? Any others?
I hope Thacker gets in to England squad at some point. Now Hartley has retired there needs to be some succession planning in positions.
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
dannyf2

As Rich rightly notes their less expensive players, very good that they appear to be will start to expect a higher salary in coming seasons and that will give them some tough decisions

Would also hope that Hoops will have learnt and developed a lot in his first year in post and the club may also have reconsidered the need for a Head Coach to support etc

I'm not denying the league table as it stands or indeed the evidence on the pitch but it is a current situation and many things can change

Posted by: Ali1969 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 13:15

Rich you are spot on Rhys is one if not the biggest of earners at the club, especially given his emergency contract late last season - Personally I do not blame the bloke at all.

To be told publicly you are not wanted by the club and put under that stress trying to negotiate a new deal at another club and even have the embarrassment to go on national television and state in an interview that you are not wanted by your club!!!

Then for this club to have to come begging you to stay at ANY cost well you get what you sow.

I believe Todd Blackadder made a number of references to a number of the squad (no names given) on what he felt were over inflated contracts and wages which resulted in areas of the squad which desperately required attention and strengthening not being done due to no room in the salary cap.

Posted by: KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 15:49

Quote:
cookiecrumble
And basing this on a league table a couple months after a World Cup, and very long training camp, at which a lot of Bath players were involved.
Number of Bristol players at the RWC? Siale Piutau? Any others?
I hope Thacker gets in to England squad at some point. Now Hartley has retired there needs to be some succession planning in positions.
Quote:
gaz59
Quote:
dannyf2

Alapati Leiua, Chris Vui, Jordan Lay, James Lay, Siale Piutau

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 December, 2019 21:14

And how many of those 5 played beyond the group stages?

Date: 05 December, 2019 21:40

How many of them play for top tier countries or are on top tier money? Only a couple are even first team arenít they - are the two Lays? Letís face it, Bris werenít significantly weakened during the WC (which strikes me as good recruitment, not that Hughes would be happy about it).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 09:56 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2019 09:52

I would like Bath to recruit a few 28 year olds who are not going to play for their country and therefore, will obviously remain injury free (!), and will be available week in week out!!

Posted by: JMills (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2019 12:56

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Pat Lam goes into a lot of detail in this article

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2019 15:41 by JMills.

Posted by: Woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2019 13:45

Quote:
BathMatt53
Bath has said, like Quins, that they are at the cap. Lam has said that Bristol are well below. Seems pretty clear to me and don't doubt any of them.
I don't think that anyone would dare break the cap after the Sarries situation (other than unexpected ones inside the rules, like Wasps last year).

Sarries broke the cap and received a points reduction which means that they may still get to the playoffs. Based on the current/recent coaching set up I'm glad that bath didn't do that.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 06 December, 2019 15:31

If Bristol have got cap to spend I wonder how much? I know there are lots of transfer rumours flying around but if the Ford to Bristol and the Webb to Bristol came true then a set of back comprising, Webb, Randal, Ford, Piutau, Hurrell and Radradra would be pretty explosive. Add to that the new training ground and we would need to fire up to maintain our status in the region let alone the prem.

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Date: 06 December, 2019 16:55

Quote:
JMills
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/pat-lam-explains-how-bristol-3584510
Pat Lam goes into a lot of detail in this article

Almost too much detail - made me more suspicious tbh! But really though, fair play to Lam, he's clearly top class and top players want to play for him. Bristol have got a golden window of two or three years before the wage demands there creep up to meet the rest of us. Until we get the rec sorted we will be their subordinate, it's inevitable (and sickening!).

Current Page: 1 of 2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net