Current Page: 1 of 3
The Championship
Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 01:02

Should Sarries surge upward (inevitable) and Tigers and Wasps do similarly (potential) I have to say that after 25 years a Bath fan I think I would be fine with relegation at this point.

Maybe it is age, or maybe it is learned helplessness but I have come to accept that I support the shirt and I would follow it wherever it went. I would be more happy watching Bath play Nottingham or flying to Jersey than watching us get rinsed in the top competitions.

I only occasionally get angry about Bath these days, despite many opportunities to do so. I think it is because I just expect us to be rubbish now, even if our gym looks great from the outside.

At worst the Championship offers different travelling experiences and an excuse for why we STILL donít have a real stadium after many aeons of telling fans we have finally overcome the final hurdle.

At best it gives us a chance to rebuild and figure out what we are trying to achieve per game, per season and where we are headed.

Re: The Championship
Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:01

Agree with most of what you have said Ken, it echoes many of my thoughts, but even if we did get relegated would we really go for a root and branch rebuild or just make excuses for why we got relegated and plod on with the same miserable style of play?

Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:15

Quote:
warrenball
Agree with most of what you have said Ken, it echoes many of my thoughts, but even if we did get relegated would we really go for a root and branch rebuild or just make excuses for why we got relegated and plod on with the same miserable style of play?

A depressingly fair question.

Posted by: fat lock (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:34

I'd welcome relegation if it resulted in a reset process.
I actually question whether it will - the direction of travel has been fairly steady in this direction ever since MF left, one has to to assume it has been by design rather than accident.

It's a terrible shame - a club with the resources of Bath ought to have loftier ambitions and the ability to evolve rather than gently fall apart and hope that relegation will result in a stimulus for progress.
It's apparent to me that there is something not right in the club - it's more than a bad season. Recovering from this will take some special skills and work - something I worry that our current team have yet to demonstrate
I find myself remembering the predictions of Bod (before he posted some vile opinions and got banned) of what would happen once BC had taken over. Hate to say it, but much of what he predicted has transpired.................................. Wonder what he's like with lottery numbers?

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:45

Quote:
ken_jnr
Quote:
warrenball

A depressingly fair question.

No team which goes down needs to do anything other than chuck it around due to the gulf in quality between divisions. Itís no surprise that Newcastle are undefeated and will remain so.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:48

I think you're all being a little prematurely pessimistic.

However, I don't see that a reboot necessary follows relegation, particularly for us, I wouldn't wish for it.

I don't think much is needed anyway, get the right coaching team in place and the rest will follow.

Posted by: TG Kesmo (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 09:58

I agree that itís too early but I would prefer a more minor reset like not qualifying for the big cup. That might refocus some management on the importance of teamwork rather than names for both coaching and playing.
Having said this I think some supporters could do with a major reset on their thinking and expectations. We have no right to win any game we donít have the best squad training set up coaches etc. But given time we can improve. There were signs of attacking intent yesterday so we can hope.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:03

As someone who supported the appointment of Hooper as DoR but disagreed about the lack of Head Coach I imagine Bruce sat in a big chair like a Bond villain. He is lifting a panel on the arm rest with his finger hovering above a switch labelled Emergency Head Coach Appointment.

In the Bond films the villain always leaves it too late to press 'the switch'. In this case there is no real need to delay, he doesn't have to press a switch that drops Hooper into a shark pond.

If relegation did happen then he would need to make some big changes, so why delay? Why wait until his lair is under attack and sinking into the ocean?

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:05

Quote:
DanWiley
I don't think much is needed anyway, get the right coaching team in place and the rest will follow.

You have hit the nail on the head, we don't have the right coaching structure in place and for some unknown reason BC isn't acting to make the required changes to correct the mistakes made in the summer. We need decisive action from our owner not the suck it and see approach with fingers crossed that he appears to be adopting.

I'd actually be interested to hear his thoughts on what is going on.

Posted by: BS7 (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:07

Bris fan in peace. If that's what will 'reboot' Bath, then it would be useful medicine? I for one, enjoyed many of the games in the Championship even though we stayed there a few seasons too many. The standard is surprisingly good and the atmosphere is more 'rugby' than win at all costs, if that makes sense? Oh, and Jersey is a must, lovely people and feels like an exotic away game.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:07

Because we've only just made big changes, I'd like to take things slowly and get them right. There's no silver bullet behind that switch, any of them.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:09

Quote:
DanWiley
Because we've only just made big changes, I'd like to take things slowly and get them right. There's no silver bullet behind that switch, any of them.

The trouble is our "big changes" were to put the apprentice in charge of the shop floor.

Date: 07 December, 2019 10:10

Quote:
B4thB4ck
As someone who supported the appointment of Hooper as DoR but disagreed about the lack of Head Coach I imagine Bruce sat in a big chair like a Bond villain. He is lifting a panel on the arm rest with his finger hovering above a switch labelled Emergency Head Coach Appointment.
In the Bond films the villain always leaves it too late to press 'the switch'. In this case there is no real need to delay, he doesn't have to press a switch that drops Hooper into a shark pond.

If relegation did happen then he would need to make some big changes, so why delay? Why wait until his lair is under attack and sinking into the ocean?

Because this is real life not some fantasy football game you have to have a decent replacement lined up Itsl mid season so not many are are available you have to fund their redundancy money and you have to be utterly convinced in your own mind that the appointment you made is completely wrong.
I assume B4B you have never sacked anyone or been in a position to do so. Otherwise you wouldnít so glibly write people off after a very short time.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:15

Quote:
DanWiley

Completely agree Dan, seems that we deliberately ran the ball at them, Hooper stated this the backs looked OK perhaps we ran it too much. But it proved a point in that we can attack with ball in hand.
Problem now is that we are struggling in the back row.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:29

Personally, I would be very annoyed and upset if Bath were relegated. Too much blood sweat and tears over the early building years went into making the club what it became and I feel the present custodians are letting their forebares down. Those of us who witnessed Elvis's league saving try against our next Prem opponents will never forget and the currant generation need to step up to the mark, not just the players but the management and coaches alike.

As I understand it, we have as much financial backing as we need, have top class training facilities, pay top salaries {legally} and have an exceptionally talented squad. Yes our pitch isn't like the carpet some play on but that is a weak excuse.

Other sides have progressed and we have either stood still or gone backwards. With all the tools and talents at the Club's disposal, questions have to be asked and realities faced. If that means changing personnel so be it whether that is the MD or the tea lady. Like many on here, I have supported the club through thick and thin over the last 40 odd years. We all deserve better and so do those who through their efforts got the club to where they are now. This could be a seminal period in the club's once vaunted history.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 07 December, 2019 10:31

Quote:
TG Kesmo
Quote:
B4thB4ck

Because this is real life not some fantasy football game you have to have a decent replacement lined up Itsl mid season so not many are are available you have to fund their redundancy money and you have to be utterly convinced in your own mind that the appointment you made is completely wrong.
I assume B4B you have never sacked anyone or been in a position to do so. Otherwise you wouldnít so glibly write people off after a very short time.

If you read my post again it says I support Hooper and would keep him, adding a head coach. No one leaves, no one gets sacked, it is a positive move. Sorry if my artistic license was misguided but you have misunderstood my post, please read again.

Date: 08 December, 2019 09:22

Actually I did read it. The magic bit was a bit of a give away. Coaches come out of a budget too, where is this bail out money to afford a mid season addition to coaching staff. They would need to be bought out of existing contracts and paid a reasonable salary on arrival. Did you seriously think we would retain all the existing coaching staff in this case.. I see it as a similar to why we didnít replace Matson mid season no one decent available no extra money. Not gonna happen..

Date: 08 December, 2019 09:22

Actually I did read it. The magic bit was a bit of a give away. Coaches come out of a budget too, where is this bail out money to afford a mid season addition to coaching staff. They would need to be bought out of existing contracts and paid a reasonable salary on arrival. Did you seriously think we would retain all the existing coaching staff in this case.. I see it as a similar to why we didnít replace Matson mid season no one decent available no extra money. Not gonna happen..

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 08 December, 2019 14:06

I agree TGK, I think the budgets are tight hence the appointment of Stuart and hence no more coaches this season at least unless somebody leaves, it is a business after all . (Sm128)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 08 December, 2019 18:15

But the coaches salaries don't come out of the cap. So this really just discretionary spend for Bruce. I would have thought a Head Coach's salary is about the most important one you can spend at a rugby club.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net