Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: The Championship
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 14:32

Quote:
Banachek
Four years ago, I was watching a grass roots youth Rugby league game in South London , I was watching my youngest son who was playing for a RL club (during the summer months) . During the game he sat down (as you can only do in RL) an absolute monster of a player on the opposition. That player was Jo Kpoko.
The point is clubs like Saracens who are generally seen as having the best Academy setups and bringing through players and developing them, they look at players from all backgrounds from far and wide including RL.
I think Bath relying on Beechem and a few players from the Uni, is not going to produce a stream of top class players coming through the academy for the future. IMO

They do a bit of everything don't they? Attract players to Beechen for the AASE and unit teams, look at other young prospects released from other academies (such as Obano) and hire from places like Leeds.



[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 15:00

' ... Bath relying on Beechem and a few players from the Uni, is not going to produce a stream of top class players coming through the academy for the future. IMO'

Beechen is, essentially, an Academy in its own right. They recruit players from far and wide. Likewise the University. Bath don't recruit 'from' the University - they recruit 'to' the University. Both set-ups give them a much larger pool of players who they can monitor. The Bath coaches are involved at Beechen/Uni and many of the players train at Farleigh as part of their programme.

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Banachek (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 15:04

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Banachek
Four years ago, I was watching a grass roots youth Rugby league game in South London , I was watching my youngest son who was playing for a RL club (during the summer months) . During the game he sat down (as you can only do in RL) an absolute monster of a player on the opposition. That player was Jo Kpoko.
The point is clubs like Saracens who are generally seen as having the best Academy setups and bringing through players and developing them, they look at players from all backgrounds from far and wide including RL.
I think Bath relying on Beechem and a few players from the Uni, is not going to produce a stream of top class players coming through the academy for the future. IMO

They do a bit of everything don't they? Attract players to Beechen for the AASE and unit teams, look at other young prospects released from other academies (such as Obano) and hire from places like Leeds.

Well if you look on the Bath website well over 50% of the academy players are from Beechen and then a couple of other Rugby schools, that's fine i'm sure they are great players with good potential but seems a bit insular to me...

Re: The Championship
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 15:45

Yes they are from Beechen because they were encouraged to go to Beechen 6th form or below, as Opti points out. Many of the kids currently at Beechen have arrived there from far and wide in order that they can train and play together before they formally enter the academy, senior academy etc.



[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Banachek (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 20:06

Quote:
BathMatt53
Yes they are from Beechen because they were encouraged to go to Beechen 6th form or below, as Opti points out. Many of the kids currently at Beechen have arrived there from far and wide in order that they can train and play together before they formally enter the academy, senior academy etc.


I hope so, at the end of the day there is a lot of potential talent out there, lets not miss out on it, I also think a lot of lads develop later than (13 to 16), so if you select for a pathway too early you can end up missing some gems.

Re: The Championship
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 20:08

Am I right in thinking that clubs aren’t allowed to poach across regional boundaries (ie there are academy ‘catchments’)?



[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Banachek (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 20:25

Quote:
BathMatt53
Am I right in thinking that clubs aren’t allowed to poach across regional boundaries (ie there are academy ‘catchments’)?

That might be new , but I know a lad who was in the Saracens catchment and was signed to Northampton academy and besides if the catchment club doesn't see anything in them (or is already stocked with a couple of similar players) . Don't think they could or should be able to stop another club offering something.

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 21:07

Banacheck - As an example, Orlando Bailey is a Dorchester lad who Bath have moved to Beechencliff.

On the catchment side, I think if the catchment club academy pathway (DPP) doesn't want the player then they are free to look elsewhere. I know of an U16 from Dorset who didn't make the Bath DPP but is now in the L Irish DPP for example.

Re: The Championship
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 December, 2019 21:10

The DPP (U13s-u16) has catchment areas, as shown below.

[www.bathrugby.com]

The Bath DPP catchment area is outlined below:

- Dorset
- Wiltshire
- Part of Somerset (Unitary Authorities of Mendip, South Somerset, Bath and NE Somerset)

The AASE refers to catchment areas but I couldn’t find a list of these (or whether they differ from those above).



[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Re: The Championship
Posted by: Banachek (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 12:55

[quote Dorset Boy] Banacheck - As an example, Orlando Bailey is a Dorchester lad who Bath have moved to Beechencliff.

Good for him and hopefully he'll take full advantage of his opportunity and make the most of his talent. But Dorchester is in Dorset so in the Bath catchment, so not really- "arrived there from far and wide in order that they can train and play together before they formally enter the academy, senior academy etc. . )
Are there any lads who have come into the academy from another route ( ie not other academies but other schools or amateur clubs ) or is that the only route via Beechen ?

Re: The Championship
Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 10 December, 2019 13:43

Yes. People like Levi Davis:

[www.bathchronicle.co.uk]

Davis was involved in Leicester Tigers Academy while he was on a sporting scholarship at Denstone College in the Midlands but wasn’t offered a long-term deal

Or Levi Douglas:

[www.bathrugby.com]

Douglas joined Bath Rugby Academy from French side Oyonnax at the end of the 2015.

The existing academy aren't all at BC - some at Canford etc. but all should be in the catchment - that's the point of it before adult contracts are awarded (or not). Example of this team sheet:

[www.bathrugby.com]



[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Current Page: 3 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net