Current Page: 1 of 4
Championship Clubs funds slashed
Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 11 February, 2020 22:34

...by 50% [www.theguardian.com]

Adopted player 20/21: Will Spencer - welcome home http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597354200.jpg

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330055.jpghttp://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/105/105_0_1597330111.jpg

Re: Championship Clubs funds slashed
Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 04:27

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 05:53

Wow. They should be doubling it, not halving it. That could destroy a load of clubs and drive promising players back to day jobs. It will be even harder for the players to make the jump up now.

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 07:49

A bizarre decision, what on earth is the rationale behind this. Simply cant be good for player development or English rugby. I don't understand?

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: JFPC (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 08:56

Quote:
shipwrecked
A bizarre decision, what on earth is the rationale behind this. Simply cant be good for player development or English rugby. I don't understand?

My best guess is it's a simple way of effectively ringfencing the premiership for free.

Adopted player 2019/20 Will Chudley. Weird split household co-parented
player 2020 Josh Matavesi

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:24

You're no doubt right, but clubs are pretty arrogant if they believe their academies can provide all of the players they need. Plenty of good players with the potential to make the step up have meaningful, competitive games in the Championship. Can't see the A league replicating this. It's also marginalising rugby even further, but then I know I'm preaching to the converted so will get off my high horse and shut up!

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:26

We probably don't have all the facts, but on the face of it you have to question if the RFU are fit for purpose.

Posted by: redmix (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 09:36

Beeb reporting the the RFU set the Championship clubs certain deliverables in return for increased finding back in 2015. The RFU saying those deliverables haven't been met and therefore the funding gets cut.

I struggle with what the RFU strategy is for the professional game in England, in fact strategy for the game full stop. I wonder if this cut to the Championship is in isolation, so it would be good to hear what the bigger picture is. e.g. is the money freed up being used elsewhere? If it's simply cuts due to decreased revenue I would like to see more detail on what the Championship failed to deliver and whether the RFU enabled them to do it, or put barriers i the way so they couldn't.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:00

I have to say in my view there should be cuts that could be made elsewhere in the mighty RFU's expenditure in front of this.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:35

In fairness I think the RFU have been making cuts across a wide range of areas. Coach development staff, legacy funds etc. I suspect the answer is that they are just in hard times.

Date: 12 February, 2020 10:40

Cut the england players match day fee from 23k. I'm sure they would play for their country for half that. That was actually what was proposed a while back, but don't think it happened except for the RWC where they got 13k per match for the group stages split across the 31 players.

[www.theguardian.com]

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 10:42 by BathMatt53.

Posted by: redmix (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:45

Going to answer my own question...

The deliverable the RFU set the championship (as reported in today's Times) are:
Make steps towards becoming a financially viable league
Develop a league where more clubs have an ambition of winning promotion
Increase the number of English qualified players
Develop future England coaches and referees
Develop a community based system to grow the game

RFUs argument is that none of those things have been met. Their increased funding has gone to meeting debts, only 2 or 3 of the clubs could be promoted, the number of English qualified players has stayed at 80%, only one of the current England squad was developed in the Championship (Harry Williams) and they don't support a development pathway in their local communities. I guess you can't argue with that. The article also reports that PRL are also cutting their funding to the Championship, by half next season then stopping altogether the season after. Didn't know they did that in the first place.
Not sure what to make of all that, but does suggest the whole model of professional rugby below Premiership level needs reviewing and sorting out.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 10:51

It looks like there isn't enough money in professional rugby to support these two divisions.

If there was perhaps there could be a 2 division premiership, perhaps 20 teams, with more relegation/promotion between them?

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 11:30

RFU in financial trouble - too many overpaid executives! (Sm100)

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies
Adopted Player 2020/21 Cam Redpath

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: Which Tyler (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 12:35

Or expected to make SFs, banked on making QFs of home world cup 2015.
As it was a home cup, they invested a fair penny to maximise returns.
Fell out in the pool stages, failed to realise those returns, had over-stretched themselves.

A man who cannot change his mind, cannot change anything
RAEBURN SHIELD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2020 12:37 by Which Tyler.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 12:53

That is very high and mighty of the RFU. Those deliverables read more like the aims the RFU should be responsible for rather than delegating the responsibility. I am sure the clubs are busy doing what clubs do.

The RFU are acting more like a charity funding board.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 13:44

The very real downside of professionalism, the PRL run by the big clubs will only care about their own interests, as one would expect, but for the RFU to effectively abandon the smaller clubs is very worrying and you have to wonder how it can be improved if the RFU are going to essentially give total control of a ring fenced professional game to PRL.

Maybe it is just because it is a funny season, broken up by the WC and the fall out of Saracens relegation but I am really struggling to raise any enthusiasm about the next game against Worcester or indeed the rest of the season. I am beginning to think of many better ways of spending money than renewing the ST

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 14:45

A probably over-emotive reaction but I'd love to know the input/involvement of the Prem clubs in all of this, specifically Bath of course as I'd struggle to justify watching Prem rugby knowing tier 2 clubs have been allowed to go under to allow the Prem sides to continue spending money at an unsustainable level. I think Warrenball's weary disillusionment is totally understandable

Date: 12 February, 2020 14:50

Quote:
warrenball
The very real downside of professionalism, the PRL run by the big clubs will only care about their own interests, as one would expect, but for the RFU to effectively abandon the smaller clubs is very worrying and you have to wonder how it can be improved if the RFU are going to essentially give total control of a ring fenced professional game to PRL.
Maybe it is just because it is a funny season, broken up by the WC and the fall out of Saracens relegation but I am really struggling to raise any enthusiasm about the next game against Worcester or indeed the rest of the season. I am beginning to think of many better ways of spending money than renewing the ST

Totally agree. For the first time this season I have missed more games than I have been to. Being on BT sport doesn't help either when its cold and wet so maybe I'm just getting old. None of my mates without STs have had any issue getting hold of tickets for particular games. Another 3 years+ at the 'old' Rec queuing for 30 mins for a pee doesn't appeal.

Have enjoyed a couple of the ones I have been to though - Northampton etc. Will toss a coin when ST renewals come up again...

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 12 February, 2020 15:14

With the Premiership's huge squads, most of whom are increasing their proportion of England qualified players, and large Academies, the Championship isn't, in reality the second tier of English rugby.

It's home to players who have been released by Premiership Academies, and players who have worked their way up through a couple of National leagues, achieving Championship standard by adding experience to their native ability - and are therefore highly unlikely to take the next, massive step to the Premiership, let along international rugby.

There might be the odd Academy player who gets released, and then comes good. But on the whole, Premiership Clubs retain them long enough to know full well whether they are Premiership material or not.

There's also the BUCS league, which is now of a standard that very many of the players can move seamlessly into the Championship, and the vast majority of whom are 22 or under, and so still retain potential to improve substantially.

If Harry Williams is the only player to have moved from the Championship to England, then the BUCS league will match that figure as soon as Eddie swallows his pride over Dombrandt.

I've always hated the idea of ring-fencing - but it was always going to happen one way or another, and actually makes more and more sense.

The Championship should stop pretending it's an opportunity to reach the Premiership, and reposition itself as an alternative spectator option - 10 for a great standard of rugby (against 70 for Premiership slug-fests where the elite players quite often available anyway), maybe writing some of its own laws to promote running/attractive rugby, and offering good food, bee and old-school rugby values.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net