Current Page: 1 of 4
Bonus points
Posted by: D s & t dad (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 18:11

The lack of bonus points we are not getting is worrying, if we had the same points as other teams in the top six we would be in third place, possibly second, letís hope we start accruing some bonus points soon as it could limit our chances of getting into the top four but also the top six.

Re: Bonus points
Posted by: Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 18:21

The lack of bonus points or those we are not getting surely, not both?

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 16 February, 2020 22:10

Yes - I was furious when that Pennell kick went agonisingly wide, thus denying us a much needed losing bonus point.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 01:21

We tend to score and then sit back, concede, score and then sit back again, and very often struggle to really be ruthless and put teams away. When we win games it's usually with 3 tries.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 06:57

Happy to be winning matches which we would have lost in the last couple of years tbh.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 07:52

Quote:
ballsout
We tend to score and then sit back, concede, score and then sit back again, and very often struggle to really be ruthless and put teams away. When we win games it's usually with 3 tries.

Thats true BO, but that seems to be true of several clubs this weekend, Bristol v Saints, Tigers v Wasps being examples. On the bonus points issue we have scored 7 tries at home and 10 away, can't help thinking our pitch doesn't help but surely its or season focus that is the reason. Forwards loaded rugby does that doesn't it?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 17 February, 2020 08:21

Quote:
shipwrecked
Quote:
ballsout

Thats true BO, but that seems to be true of several clubs this weekend, Bristol v Saints, Tigers v Wasps being examples. On the bonus points issue we have scored 7 tries at home and 10 away, can't help thinking our pitch doesn't help but surely its or season focus that is the reason. Forwards loaded rugby does that doesn't it?

Exeter are the current masters of forwards rugby and manage to get more bonus points than anyone. its a mindset I think, put the foot on the throat when you are up. Winning is a good first step IMO.

Date: 17 February, 2020 08:51

Its interesting Exeters tries are Home 13 Away 14. Ten more tries in total but they have 6 BP to our 1.
Exeter have had a couple of big wins though. We haven't had any runaway wins yet.
Is this a case of a small improvement might bring more BP's?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 17 February, 2020 08:58

They get about 2 a match guaranteed from driving over from mauls, so they only need to get 2 more a game to get their TBP! If they lose they also only ever lose by a couple of points so with their typical TBP and LBP they always come away with something if not a win. Clinical, if not pretty.

Date: 17 February, 2020 09:10

Yes very true, I don't remember early days as Exeter were building their success but it feels like Bath are following a similar route, i.e. forwards scoring more than our backs. Or at least I hope that is the case.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 09:52

As much as we'd all love to play all-singing, all-dancing champagne rugby immediately, the reality is that incremental improvements are usually more effective over the long term than big swings in performance. And for all the apprehension we have about Hooper, it's not like Boyd, Lam and Ackermann's teams aren't also culpable of the sort of losses and performances that would have us all smashing our foreheads against a wall.

Yes, we haven't put in an 80-minute performance yet (and yes, let's not gloss over the fact that we very nearly lost that Worcester game). Yes, Europe was a debacle. Buuut:

1. Do we have a game plan that we all know, understand and recognise? Yes
2. Are the key facets of that game plan improved compared to last season? Yes
3. Are we getting better through the season? Yes

We're not going to win anything this year. We all know this. For a first half of a first season under Hooper though, we've absolutely beat expectations in the league. If we can continue to improve as the pitches dry out and make top 4 (which is a big if) then I think it'll have to be classed as a successful season.

Date: 17 February, 2020 10:43

...I would add that my definition of a successful season will include having the squad in place for next season that we know will continue to push us forward. This will mean quality additions / replacements in areas that we have all spoken about (spoken about a lot).

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 11:05

Agreed!

Date: 17 February, 2020 11:14

Does that include a scrum half Matt, lots said about 10 and 12 but 9 seems to have calmed of late.

Date: 17 February, 2020 11:33

Quote:
shipwrecked
Does that include a scrum half Matt, lots said about 10 and 12 but 9 seems to have calmed of late.

Not sure, it all seems to be a dance of availability, value, competition etc. for a number of positions tbh. Some of them are essential to replace presumed leavers, some less so. For example Homer? Henry T? Cook?

I'm just going to sit back and see how it all falls into place now - then take stock in June / July. Hooper could have the most amazing list of new and renewed players on his desk for all we know, but not in a position to announce yet. Not worth getting too worried about in February IMO.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 11:43

At the moment I feel that the emphasis is on not losing..........which is obviously helpful on the route towards winning.

Hence, apart from against Clermont away, where for 55 minutes we were taken apart., no one has beaten us badly..........however the other side of that same coin is that we only win narrowly.

So on Saturday we got 3 tries by the 57 minute..........and according to someone's stats on the match thread we had 80% possession in the second half.........Exeter would have got a try bonus from that position.

I believe that it is a lot to do with RP at flyhalf, he is a safe/game management person. So with him in place we don't lose badly but by the same token we don't win well.

Comment above is right which is you should win all your home games, ideally with a try bonus, and, if you do lose your away game then make sure you get a losing bonus point.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 13:07

Quote:
ballsout

I think that is a pattern that many teams play to. If you find yourself with an attacking maul or scrum 5m out you want to make that position count so you give it 100%. Something has to give, the notion of a so called 80 minute performance is rare in such a league.

You see teams having a blow with minor injuries, trying to make sure their energy has returned to defend. It is all ebb and flow, easy to criticise from the sidelines.

I sometimes watch games whilst on a cross trainer, when you are getting drained near the end of your session and desperate for rest it does give you a different perspective on seeing your team getting over powered with 78 mins on the clock.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 13:26

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
At the moment I feel that the emphasis is on not losing..........which is obviously helpful on the route towards winning.
Hence, apart from against Clermont away, where for 55 minutes we were taken apart., no one has beaten us badly..........however the other side of that same coin is that we only win narrowly.

So on Saturday we got 3 tries by the 57 minute..........and according to someone's stats on the match thread we had 80% possession in the second half.........Exeter would have got a try bonus from that position.

I believe that it is a lot to do with RP at flyhalf, he is a safe/game management person. So with him in place we don't lose badly but by the same token we don't win well.

Comment above is right which is you should win all your home games, ideally with a try bonus, and, if you do lose your away game then make sure you get a losing bonus point.

Generally, I certainly agree with this view BFJ but on this occasion I can understand the conservative mindset. It was an away match and one we needed to win to retain a credible aim for a top 4 or 6 spot. The weather conditions meant that any ambition in offloads or passing out wide came with a higher risk of error. Wuss are a strong and well organised side and we had some serious demons from last season to eliminate

This is one game where I can forgive missing out on a tbp

Had that final Pennell kick gone over though, then Ö.

Posted by: OutsideBath (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 14:00

Quote:
BathMatt53
...I would add that my definition of a successful season will include having the squad in place for next season that we know will continue to push us forward. This will mean quality additions / replacements in areas that we have all spoken about (spoken about a lot).

+1

Also anything less than 4th place is a total failure.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 14:33

Quote:
shipwrecked

I'm just not sure how we can properly improve our scrum-half resources.

- To me, Chudley is not far off being a genuine first choice GP, just below Int standard 9.
- Cook is nearly 29 - a good back-up to have, but unlikely at this stage to nail down first-choice status.
- Then we have 2 young 9s, both capable of starting the odd game, who will only properly improve if they get game time.

So, who do you target to bring in, and who gives? A stellar 9 who is clearly better than Chudley? If we spend that big at 9, will that reduce the budget for the absolutely critical 10/12 positions? And who is there anyway? Spencer would be good, but although he's probably more consistent than Cook, I don't think he would transform us.

Or, a second choice 9, who is going to get in the way of Green and Fox? And by his nature, not be that much better than Cook?

Of course, any position can be strengthened. But 9 isn't the most urgent priority for Bath IMO.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net