Current Page: 1 of 3
What a sad world...
Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 21:17

How can F'wits abuse Danny C for grieving?

well done Gloucester though.

Re: What a sad world...
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 21:57

Appalling, imagine missing a call and then finding the caller killed herself. What would you think!
I know social media is part of the 21st century but its like a hard drug once you are on it its so difficult not to let it wreck your life. So glad I'm not on it.

Lets hope it doesn't scramble his head!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 17 February, 2020 23:16

I love social media, but I also hate it. It's done some great things, and some terrible things for society. This is a clear example of the latter.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 07:39

Your title for this thread db is spot on. The whole story is so tragic and just highlights human vulnerabilities in so many ways especially when you add in the excesses and expectations of celebrity wealth

Cipriani also appears to be a fragile soul and should be allowed to grieve without abuse or intrusion. Sounds like he has good teammates around him thankfully

Posted by: Deckchair (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 09:38

Quote:
shipwrecked
Appalling, imagine missing a call and then finding the caller killed herself. What would you think!
I know social media is part of the 21st century but its like a hard drug once you are on it its so difficult not to let it wreck your life. So glad I'm not on it.

Lets hope it doesn't scramble his head!

News for you Shipwrecked - you are on it. What do you think this site is?

Yes internet has brought many great pluses - but it's social media side is also revealing a dark, nasty and warped mentality in far too many of our fellow citizens to allow for any comfort. It happens for too many reasons to fathom, understand or control but I suspect at its heart lies a toxic swamp of impotence, moral vacuity, rage, invisibility, lawlessness and poor leadership models. And I 'm pretty certain that most have a lonely love life.
I avoid the swamp as much as possible. You just have to keep your distance from the rabid dogs in the gutter and pass on. You certainly don't try and reason with them. Life really is too short.

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 10:06

Radio 2 discussed the topic yesterday lunchtime. A point was made by one of the listeners that to protect us from the worst comments all social media accounts should be authenticated real names. That way all users are easily identifiable for what they say and less likely to be cruel just for the sake if it.

Not sure even that would work, if you sing on TV and 10,000 people say it was rubbish that is still going to hurt.

I would quite like to be rich but would hate to be in the public eye. The media build you up then knock you down with social media giving you a kicking whilst you are down there.

Date: 18 February, 2020 10:10

Perhaps Deckchair, but to my mind a moderated Internet forum with behaviour guideline is very different from the often abusive mainstream SM where four letter swear words are common, personal abuse tolerated and even hate and terrorist factions allowed to flourish. Two very different animals.

Had anyone on this board had commented unfavourably on Cipriani's grief the post would more than likely had the post removed. We have 3 moderators who require standards of acceptable behaviour and for that I'm thankful.

The dark mentality you speak of is part of all of us, face to face we apply restraint for fear of disapproval, take away that and the dark side breaks through for some.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 10:37

Why people go on Twitter or other sites to tell other people about their lives etc. is beyond me. I agree some SM has done good, but so much of it is just poisenous and, IMO, should be better policed and shut down to abusers if that was possible.

DC suffering abuse because of his friendship with the deceased and expressing his condolences, is frankly beyond contempt. Someone has died and that person deserves respect. I sometimes wonder what sort of a World we have created.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Date: 18 February, 2020 11:06

Yep, +1 agree with all of that BoB.

Posted by: Rawce (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 11:25

Very true BoB, and I hope those who have been banned on this very social media site for abuse of players, coaches and club staff hold themselves to the same standards of decency.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 11:39

It's a minefield for kids growing up. I'm sure we all said and did some pretty stupid things when we were young, but nobody filmed them and put them on the internet for anyone to watch and nobody could review our digital footprint and show the world how naive we were. I have this chat pretty much weekly with my teenage children - not that they listen because they have airpods surgically implanted it seems. If they say or do one ill-advised thing it could be with them for years (possibly life?). I'm definitely not a SM fan and would happy to go down the pub and have these same discussions instead...are they open yet?

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 11:42

I understand that Glos have decided to support a mental health initiative and although they are not directly saying it I worry that too often normal feelings of grief or depression are dragged in under the umbrella term of mental health. To my mind I would be more worried about someone's mental health if they did not feel profound sadness and despondency when someone close had died and it seems far too often we do not want to understand that life can often be unhappy. It is also normal sometimes not to 'get over' the death of someone close, it can change your life forever, but again it is not a mental health illness.

Posted by: Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 12:54

Agree totally BOB.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/02/2020 12:54 by Duke of Earl.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 13:42

I like these words of CEO of Glos:

Quote:
We try to look after all of our colleagues. There are some people who think social media means you can say what you like and that it doesn't make any difference.

I don't think that's true. It's OK to be disappointed in a result. It's OK to say you don't think somebody is playing well. It's not OK for personal criticism.

They're people too. They feel things. We all have an obligation to think about what we say and be kind to people.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 13:55

I agree with all the above but wonder why Cipriani felt the need to attack people (in this case the media) on Twitter. It was never going to end well was it?

I'm happy to save I have never tweeted and never intend to.

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 18 February, 2020 14:50

Nor have I or will I, Simon. Cannot see the need for it.

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2020 00:03

As well as SM I also find the moral outrage of the Sun, railing against the CPS to be contemptible. I recognise that in this day and age people like Caroline Flack have to play the media game-the coverage the Sun gives Love Island is crazy - but the cost seems to be that papers like the Sun think it's then OK to scrutinise your life, pass judgement and hugely influence people's perceptions of people in the spotlight. The Sun went to town on the assault charge, splashed it across their front pages then when Flack, already a vulnerable individual, couldn't take the oppressive intrusion and took her life, they chose to lay all of the blame on the CVS-breathtaking hypocrisy and cynical disingenuity.

Posted by: warrenball (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2020 08:50

The worrying question when considering cruel or unconsidered remarks on social media is if these are a more real assessment of what the writer actually thinks than the normal social discourse where there are boundaries in place, or do people turn up the volume just to get attention? Considering the average reading age in this country is only 10 years old it is not surprising that the level of discussion on both some social media and in the more trashy papers is so low.

Posted by: Duke of Earl (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2020 09:27

My view is that so many people are addicted to social media to share their every moment and experience, and to trashy tv programmes and soaps, that they live their lives vicariously through this rubbish.
In such worlds every thing is either wonderful or terrible with no middle ground, so they think that is how real life is or should be, consequently it is very difficult for some to cope with what every day life throws at you.

Nothing can stop the Duke of Earl

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 19 February, 2020 10:22

Shouldn't this be an O/T topic?

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net