Current Page: 77 of 199
Re: OT/Coronavirus
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 19:12

I think they have for the '5G causes coronavirus' accounts after a brief struggle but can they do that because one woman is daft as a brush?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 19:17

But it's the same brush, just tarred on the other side.

Posted by: BBandW (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 19:57

Quote:
Bod
There's 700,000+ signed up to the local volunteer "Responder" App alerts already, however, the protocols of ID verifications etc are stymieing the activation of the network. (Well, that's how I interpret the emails I receive - I've been live on the App for over a week and have had no communications via the App, all via the initial email sign-up)
Ongoing sign-up is now suspended as I understand it.

it only went live on Monday this week

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 20:38

Quote:
gaz59
The Bear, I'll cite just two examples of where the erosion of the public sector is significantly and adversely impacting on the government's intended response. 750,000 volunteers signed up to support the NHS. That in itself shows how ill equipped our caring infrastructure is. Factor in the admin support to recruit [including safeguarding checks], train and deploy. It is colossal
The social care industry is on its knees and does not even have the support or resource the NHS is receiving

Both sectors will need significant investment long term to ensure we are better able to respond to the next virus or such similar

And fit for purpose, real social democracy does not necessarily demand heavy, centralised bureaucratic structures

You do realise the NHS is already the third largest employer on the planet? It's stiffled by having way too many non-front line staff, around 1.3 million of the 1.75 million it employs.
And we're far from the third largest population on the planet, or in the G7.

Posted by: Dorset Boy (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 20:39

This is interesting to show the local breakdowns of cases and deaths in the UK:
HSJ Coronavirus mapped

Date: 08 April, 2020 21:14

Well England actually, however it is very interesting. Fantastic tool for battering Aston Villa fans. I wonder if that will be reflected in the lockdown release.

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 08 April, 2020 21:41

Iceland has a test everyone approach and has tested Iceland 9% of their population (30,947/364,240). Of those tested 50% of the positives are asymptomatic.

Posted by: Chris1850 (IP Logged)
Date: 08 April, 2020 22:31

Hancock made his remarks shortly after Spurs decided to furlough most of their employees. It seems wrong to me that a company should continue to pay a small number of its employees tens of thousands of pounds a week whilst using emergency government funds to pay lower paid staff. Spurs made 172m profit in 2019.

I do not think that this was the intended purpose of the furlough scheme, which was generally applauded across the political spectrum when it was announced

Whilst Hancock specifically mentioned footballers, I think the principle should apply to all senior employees of all companies.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 00:15

[www.mirror.co.uk] OK it's Mirror, but: Good Thinking from London Irish

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 00:34

Quote:
shipwrecked
Iceland has a test everyone approach and has tested Iceland 9% of their population (30,947/364,240). Of those tested 50% of the positives are asymptomatic.

I'd be curious about the statistics for this.

Firstly who did they target for testing. Is it contact tracing? If so, given the incubation period, you would expect a fair proportion to be asymptomatic at the time of testing (kinda the point of contact tracing). Did they track them to see if they developed symptoms?

How many tested positive? I guess it wasn't 9%. Can we be sure that the tested positives exceed the untested positives? Difficult to, with those numbers.

I'm as much an advocate for testing as the next man. But I still don't believe it's significant in explaining the relative trajectories across countries and especially not deaths.

I'm still not even sure we're comparing oranges with oranges. It seems dangerous to make such extrapolations on such uncertain ground, though I understand the immediate nature of the crisis might require such calls. But then, it seems even more ridiculous to criticise politicians in an environment where nobody can be certain.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 09 April, 2020 00:56

No I don't think any of the data is like with like but what you can do is compare ratios, but not yet. Once the peak is reached you should be able to get an idea of the area under the curve then scale those results. If you look at the cases for Iceland they are currently falling.

The problem is it assumes everyone is prone to catching the virus and that may not be true. It also does indicate the value of testing and setting up an immunity passport system. It needs more work.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 09:23

I think the testing on cruise ships, where they tested everyone on the ship, showed a similar ratio. About half the people who had it were asymptomatic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 09:24 by DanWiley.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 09:50

Speaking of cruises I found it amusing that as they register the ships in Panama and the Bahamas to avoid paying tax this has now bitten them on the bottom as they are not included in any business bailout schemes...

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Most cruise ships are not registered where they do business, in the USA and Europe, but offshore in places like Panama and the Bahamas.

The industry does that for two reasons - it saves a fortune in tax, and it means that they don't have to follow American or European labour laws. This allow the companies to recruit cheap workers from developing countries, pay them less, and work them harder.

Now, however, avoiding taxes and hiring cheap foreign workers doesn't look so clever - the cruise line industry was specifically not included in the US's business bailout schemes. The industry may be in dire straits, but it is crying in the dark.

And even if governments wanted to help, which they don't appear to, as Prof Muller points out: "It is hard to give a tax break if they pay no taxes".

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 10:19

I know that COML is not supposed to be for advertising , but I thought this worth posting given the current state of emergency. I am reaching out to purchasing contacts in hospitals and EMS, but if there were anyone out there interested please feel free to contact Gerry who is a personal friend and colleague. Gerry has already contacted govt procurement but it is slow and bureacratic, which is a shame, but perhaps unsurprising.

PM me if any ideas/interest.

Hi James,

Here is the background on the Ventilators.

I would like these operational and certified portable ventilators be used to save UK lives. It is great that Dyson and other companies are creating "ventilator" like devices, although they would be seen more as CPAP devices with positive flow to support breathing, not medical ventilators.

There is obviously a shortage globally of medical grade ventilators. This is especially true if you are looking at device models that have already been certified, tested and have been operational in the field for many years. The device I am offering is a portable model that can be used in a stationary position or in ambulances, planes or other mobile spaces. It can be used both invasively or in a non-invasive manner.

The 100+ portable ventilators are from Beijing Aerospace Changfeng Co. Ltd, Medical Devices Branch, listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange. I know one of the board of directors and can secure a percentage of device production immediately. Otherwise, the production will be sold within China or to one of the other 70 markets they sell into.

The product has been in the market for over 10 years. The latest model and specifications are in this link:

[www.medincn.com]

We are representing Beijing Aerospace Changfeng Co. Ltd, Medical Devices Branch or, alternately, they can be sold through our company, a UK limited liability company.

We are a team of 4 and are all full time employees. We operate nationally.

Sincerely,

Gerry ORourke

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2020 10:22 by woodpecker.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 10:23

It's a bit ironic that that we would be reaching out for ventilators originating in China, but if they work and save lives then I guess why not.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: ouch!_that_hurts (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 10:43

Is it safe to go shopping in Iceland now? (Sm159)

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 10:43

There was a time I might have responded in a manner that'd probably get me a yellow card.

I still might.

Date: 09 April, 2020 10:45

Still a bit scary to see 30,000 new cases a day in the USA but the growth is tailing off somewhat.
I'll keep an eye on death rates in Australia and France now they have approved hydroxychloroquine to see if there is a change.

https://i.ibb.co/prF02Kr/corona-9th-April.png

Date: 09 April, 2020 10:47

Quote:
ouch!_that_hurts
Is it safe to go shopping in Iceland now? (Sm159)

Long way to go for shopping!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 09 April, 2020 11:35

Loads going on in the anti-inflammatory space:

[www.fiercepharma.com]

Hopefully in a few months a lot less people will be dying.

Current Page: 77 of 199
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net