Current Page: 1 of 8
O/T Coping with Self Isolation
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 09:42

I'm very aware that the 'other' thread about the virus could generate some considerable anxiety especially if you are stuck at home self isolating. So here are some ideas I've heard.

Coping with Self Isolation

Saw this on TV and thought it might help to share.

How can you put yourself in a positive frame of mind to cope with self isolation?
You can obviously help protect yourself by social distancing and hand washing but you are not in control of a lot of other things so to decrease anxiety fear and worry you could set up a short routine that will probably help.

MENTAL HEALTH

Journaling - To help with mental health journaling can be a big help, anxious thoughts can keep churning over in your mind, if you write them down in a journal they can be set free and you can break that cycle.

Breathing – breath in in for 3 sec, hold it for 4 sec and breathe out for 5 seconds

Nature – Get out in the garden with a cup of tea, do gardening if you have one, just being outside can help.

PHYSICAL HEALTH

Spend 5 minutes a day during your self-isolation to work on your body. This might be exercise, walking or anything to get the blood circulating and gets you a little out of breath.
Go on YouTube for a 5-minute work out or 5 minutes of yoga.
Skipping or perhaps dancing with family. it helps to burn off the anxiety.

HEART OR CONNECTIONS

Phone a friend, or skype or put a note under someone’s door, write a physical letter kids to grandparents that sort of thing.

It also might help to play the Play the gratitude game

To do this ask yourself daily

What have I done to make myself happy?
What have I done to make someone else happy?
What have I learnt today?

I’m sure there are other ideas, any thoughts or suggestions?

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Re: O/T Coping with Self Isolation
Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 10:02

If you have no symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has "social distancing" may be your option.
That would allow outdoor exercise (walk, run, bike ride) as long as you do not get close to others.

There is a clear link between exercise and mental health- so worth a try - at least until Govt advice against.

PG

Date: 18 March, 2020 10:33

Yes, PG its the gatherings of people that are the concern, a walk or bike ride alone can do wonders can't see how that would cause a problem.

Ollie Fox - England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough, you're old enough!

Posted by: Clarkey3k (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 10:55

Quote:
P G Tips
If you have no symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has "social distancing" may be your option.
That would allow outdoor exercise (walk, run, bike ride) as long as you do not get close to others.

There is a clear link between exercise and mental health- so worth a try - at least until Govt advice against.

PG

My golf club remains open for play and members are able to use the bar/communal areas or not as they choose. Social distancing is quite easy in this game and a 3-4hr walk in the fresh air does wonders unless ones' golf is completely pants. I'll find out [again] this afternoon...

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:00

Clarkey, write coronavirus on the ball in felt tip pen and give it a whack for all of us, that should add 30m to your drive!

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 11:06

At the moment one thing I wont be doing is having a $hit as I cant find any toilet paper, down to last three rolls.

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:12

Quote:
woodpecker
At the moment one thing I wont be doing is having a $hit as I cant find any toilet paper, down to last three rolls.

From my days as a boy scout - doc leaves should be abundant soon meanwhile dig a hole, wipe with your newspaper of choice and bury it (Sm124)

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Family . Community . Nation - [sdp.org.uk]

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:14

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker

From my days as a boy scout - doc leaves should be abundant soon meanwhile dig a hole, wipe with your newspaper of choice and bury it (Sm124)

Hmm I may need to move away from my phone app version of the Times...

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:19

That's a real problem then, the alternatives to toilet paper are apparently blocking up the sewers!

I roll equals 500 sheets of 2 ply, 3 sheets per wipe, so that's 500 dumps, how many times do you go a day for goodness sake?

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:28

Quote:
shipwrecked
That's a real problem then, the alternatives to toilet paper are apparently blocking up the sewers!
I roll equals 500 sheets of 2 ply, 3 sheets per wipe, so that's 500 dumps, how many times do you go a day for goodness sake?

I've got a teenage daughter, I have no idea why that is a factor.... but it is.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 11:30

as my mum told me, during the war it was one up, one down and one to polish.

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:33

Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
shipwrecked

I've got a teenage daughter, I have no idea why that is a factor.... but it is.

Oh I see..... that explains it then, I've got one of those. She has been quite happily self-isolating for the past 18 months in her bedroom!

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:37

Are your maths right shipwrecked? If so I admire your parsimony. Using Opti's protocol that would be enough for 166.6 [recurring] dumps. As for daughters, a la woodpecker, whenever mine visits with her husband we have to double up on loo roll to get through the weekend and my fridge looks as though a plague of locusts has flown through it...

Adopted players: 2020/21 A Watson; [20] T Faletau; [19] M V Vuuren; [18] T Faletau; [17] D Denton; [16] H. Agulla; [15] L Houston; [14] W Spencer; [13] F. Louw

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:45

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Are your maths right shipwrecked? If so I admire your parsimony. Using Opti's protocol that would be enough for 166.6 [recurring] dumps. As for daughters, a la woodpecker, whenever mine visits with her husband we have to double up on loo roll to get through the weekend and my fridge looks as though a plague of locusts has flown through it...

Unfortunately my son's university has closed and he's coming home today. Our supply of food that would have lasted 2 weeks now wont last a week.

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:45

Quote:
Clarkey3k

But he has 3 rolls left Clarkey!

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:55

Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Unfortunately my son's university has closed and he's coming home today. Our supply of food that would have lasted 2 weeks now wont last a week.

Given this development woodpecker, I suggest your loo roll stock is even more pressing now than how much food is contained in your cupboards...

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:57

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

Given this development woodpecker, I suggest your loo roll stock is even more pressing now than how much food is contained in your cupboards...

I know!

He is bringing 3 with him

Date: 18 March, 2020 11:59

Quote:
Clarkey3k
Quote:
woodpecker
Quote:
Clarkey3k

You do realise that the ratio of food disappearing from the fridge is related to the consumption of loo rolls I hope!

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 12:27

My FTSE100 ranked employer, who wants me to carry on working as normal, has announced they can help me with protection by giving me hand gel. Great news.

Turns out it is a 50ml bottle.....

And they don't have any yet.

As a suggestion I was listening to music on the radio driving and realised how much more relaxing that is than watching wall to wall bad news on TV, just need to avoid the hourly news bulletin.

Posted by: TomReagan (IP Logged)
Date: 18 March, 2020 12:35

Totally agree b4thb4ck. Once you know how to try and stay safe there's not much else to hear unless you want to be alarmed. The online tabs are the worst for this-there to get clicks rather than to inform, although the Sun online, perhaps recognising this, has a positive Coronavirus stories section. I'm pretty busy, but where I have some downtime it's Rockford Files and Montalbano box sets. Sunny weather, lovely scenery, not too serious/demanding plot lines . Giving the Scandi noir a miss for a bit. Also reading Stephen Porter's book on the Black Death, by complete coincidence, but interesting and perhaps predictable parallels despite the different historical periods!

Current Page: 1 of 8
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net