Current Page: 1 of 4
50:22 Law trial and implementation
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 17:02

Aimed at freeing up congested mid-fields[b][/b]

"Rugby looks set to kick off after the coronavirus shutdown with the introduction of the 50:22 law across all levels of the game

Reports in the Times on the weekend suggest players and coaches have given their approval to a year-long trial for the 2020-21 season, with a permanent introduction planned for the following campaign.

The law sees the attacking side awarded the lineout if they can bounce a kick into touch from their own half in the opposition's 22.

It's styled on the 40:20 already in operation in rugby league.

The trial is expected to be rubber-stamped at a World Rugby summit in May, in which time the game itself could well still be in self-isolation due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Trials have already taken place in Australia’s National Rugby Championship and Global Rapid Rugby tournament,

“We are highly-encouraged with the package of trials currently operational in selected competitions around the globe,” said a World Rugby spokesman on the weekend.

The 50:22 trial was born out of a player welfare imperative to reduce the risk

The purpose of the trail is to thin out packed front-line defences after research showed the tackle-area accounts for 50 per cent of injuries and 76 per cent of concussions.

The new law would mean defenders would have to be assigned to the back field to cover kicks rather than joining the front-line rearguard."
(More commentary on the link)

This is a great news for the lovers of running rugby I believe. Any others absolutely sick and tired of 10+ phases of pick and go, or aimless aerial ping-pong? The player welfare angle is also well considered, and from a development POV , the hefty big fella will no longer predominate across mini and junior rugby development with this area now being encouraged on developing more open play skills.

That old school philosophy might be a challenge to change, but we managed to finally embrace the idea that a Bath FB does not wear 16, so there is at least hope for the future.

Re: 50:22 Law trial and implementation
Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 17:42

It's interesting, but it is also quite a big change to the game and, ultimately, means as many, if not more, lineouts in the attacking 22. And we all know what that means - a load of mauls and a load of Exeter-style 30-phase pick and gos from that.

I remain convinced that the way to find space is to properly police the offside line; for referees to issue more yellow cards; and for referees to stop 'coaching' and just get on with penalising.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 17:43

Quote:
Bod
Aimed at freeing up congested mid-fields[b][/b]
"Rugby looks set to kick off after the coronavirus shutdown with the introduction of the 50:22 law across all levels of the game

Reports in the Times on the weekend suggest players and coaches have given their approval to a year-long trial for the 2020-21 season, with a permanent introduction planned for the following campaign.

The law sees the attacking side awarded the lineout if they can bounce a kick into touch from their own half in the opposition's 22.

It's styled on the 40:20 already in operation in rugby league.

The trial is expected to be rubber-stamped at a World Rugby summit in May, in which time the game itself could well still be in self-isolation due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Trials have already taken place in Australia’s National Rugby Championship and Global Rapid Rugby tournament,

“We are highly-encouraged with the package of trials currently operational in selected competitions around the globe,” said a World Rugby spokesman on the weekend.

The 50:22 trial was born out of a player welfare imperative to reduce the risk

The purpose of the trail is to thin out packed front-line defences after research showed the tackle-area accounts for 50 per cent of injuries and 76 per cent of concussions.

The new law would mean defenders would have to be assigned to the back field to cover kicks rather than joining the front-line rearguard."
(More commentary on the link)

This is a great news for the lovers of running rugby I believe. Any others absolutely sick and tired of 10+ phases of pick and go, or aimless aerial ping-pong? The player welfare angle is also well considered, and from a development POV , the hefty big fella will no longer predominate across mini and junior rugby development with this area now being encouraged on developing more open play skills.

That old school philosophy might be a challenge to change, but we managed to finally embrace the idea that a Bath FB does not wear 16, so there is at least hope for the future.

hmm hard to compute what that would actually mean in games

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 18:43

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 19:10

Interesting Bod, makes the problem we have at 10 even more complicated we now need a 10 who can not only get the backline going by taking it to the line but also kick to perfection. How many of those are there available on the transfer market!

https://i.ibb.co/pZ68Lvp/Ollie-Fox.jpg

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough your old enough!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 19:28

Makes a kicking 12 a valuable proposition too. Sign up Matavesi for next season...

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: B4thB4ck (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 19:45

Gilbert will need to source some more durable materials then (other ball makers are available).

Date: 30 March, 2020 20:00

Quote:
BathMatt53
Makes a kicking 12 a valuable proposition too. Sign up Matavesi for next season...

I would also see Homer as a serious weapon kicking from 15, I wonder if this will change our thinking, no-one has mentioned this from the coaching team or is it a surprise to everyone?

England U20 international scrum half, youngest of our four 9's. If you are good enough your old enough!

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 20:07

Was thinking about how much footballs have changed over the years - main manufacturers are constantly launching new high-tech designs. Not much has changed with rugby balls in the last 10-15 years. Maybe something ultra conducive to the spiral kick would make life a bit interesting for the back 3!

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 21:09

This would mean sides stacking their defences with two or more players on each side to protect their touch lines on either side. There will the be a ping pong to the defenders on the other side who will return until one side makes a mistake! Sounds even more boring to me!

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 21:34

Surely if the intended outcome works there will be very few lineouts and not many kicks because the ground will be covered but there should be more ground in the middle. So we don't need pinpoint kickers and there won't be more mauling lineouts. If only.

Date: 30 March, 2020 21:36

I’m not sure that I understand the rule. Does it have to bounce only once or can it be more than once? I reckon I could grubber / shank a kick from about the half way line into touch in the opposite 22 (and I’m useless) as it could be as little as a 25m kick (based on a 94m minimum pitch size). Sounds significantly easier than a 40-20 which has to (by definition) be at least 40m. I’m guessing I’m missing something?

[Adoptee: Tom Doughty - dynamic hooker born in Brighton, made at Team Bath. Record for BUCS top try scorer within a season]

Posted by: 9215 (IP Logged)
Date: 30 March, 2020 22:10

You’d have to be able to do it without the opposition getting hold of it

Date: 30 March, 2020 22:38

As long as it doesn't go straight out it will count as kicker's throw in.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 08:34

Quote:
Optimist
It's interesting, but it is also quite a big change to the game and, ultimately, means as many, if not more, lineouts in the attacking 22. And we all know what that means - a load of mauls and a load of Exeter-style 30-phase pick and gos from that.
I remain convinced that the way to find space is to properly police the offside line; for referees to issue more yellow cards; and for referees to stop 'coaching' and just get on with penalising.

Worth a try....it is risky though and would give the ball back if went dead...?
But in general, i like the idea of a more adventurous game being rewarded.

Offside and off the feet should be policed for more pens first and foremost though, agreed.

And that doesn't change the game so much although if enacted, the consequences will.

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 08:36

I imagine that kicking 13s and wingers who could do a good grabber might be good. Daly springs to mind.

Date: 31 March, 2020 08:49

Quote:
cb2
I imagine that kicking 13s and wingers who could do a good grabber might be good. Daly springs to mind.

That’s mostly what JJ does these days isn’t it?!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 09:31

I'm with opti here. The law of unintended consequences and it means no one will ever beat Exeter

Stick to reffing the offside line more rigorously but if there is no change that would help is put the offside line at breakdown back 3 metres except in 22

Date: 31 March, 2020 09:45

Possibly, but it works both ways. If your pinned down by Exeter you can now turn the tables with a relief kick. Before they would just come straight back at you.
I'm not sure how much space is going to be available midfield though and I agree that it will do nothing if the offside law isn''t policed.
I would have preferred a law that commits a minimum number of players to the breakdown, have surplus forwards running into each other isn't that pretty and its just repeated head on tackles with obvious consequences.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 11:57

So, the rationale is if you are defending in the oppositions half you have to drop your wingers? You'd probably be doing this to a degree anyway but it would push them back further into their 22. Though maybe not as far as we'd think, players can cover a lot of space whilst the balls in flight. That should make space outside, midfield is probably still going to smash you as they don't want to give you time to kick in this way. I think the player welfare angle is spin to be honest. If you do get it wide, well the attack will still be in its own half so plenty of time to scramble a defense.

As soon as the opposition get into your half the winger is freed up again. Are you allowed to "pass it back inside"? I haven't seen it mentioned. If you are that might open up a question.

I think its going to end up making practically no difference.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net