Current Page: 2 of 18
Re: Well said, Fred
Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 20:45

This is disappointing. I had high hopes of Fred on his return, but a boring safety first approach has been preferred by the DoRs, which makes you wonder why they re-sign the expensive international outside backs.
If we are going to be a mid table team, as we have been for most of the last couple of decades, Iíd rather see thrilling victories/defeats played with freedom, rather than dull boring victories and toothy embarrassing defeats.

However if this means we get a new exciting first choose and have steady Rhys back up I can live with it.

Quote:
BathMatt53
Luckily that game plan will be changing next season.
Will it? Is that based of something Hooper said?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 31/03/2020 20:50 by dcsh.

Posted by: Kidney Stone (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 21:05

The FB or RP debate is a polarising one.

Along with many others I had high hopes when Freddie returned, but the form and success that was so apparent at Tigers never really materialised.

I wish him all the best but ultimately I think BO has got it spot on.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 21:07

I am sad for Freddie. Came to us with great hopes and tigger supporters were upset with the deal! I think injury and his debut game set him back and maybe TB lost faith in him. Yes he tried too hard and there were glimpses of what he can do but there were many occasions of holding ones head in ones hands!

A great shame but wish him all the best and hope his plans do come to fruition as it is a difficult time to find a new club in these times.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: ken_jnr (IP Logged)
Date: 31 March, 2020 23:06

Burns has had up and downswings in form his whole career. He was great by the time he left Tigers but had been rubbish at the end of his Glaws days and took a while to settle in at Leicester.

I didnít expect him to set the world alight straight away. But as time has gone on I keep expecting less and less from him. I donít think RP is very good either to be honest and we can hardly say that the coaches have brought the best out of many players recently. I donít think Freddie is a bad player but he has been playing badly and I donít think we will miss him on the pitch.

Posted by: ballsout (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 02:22

If Tigers fans were upset to be losing Burns and gaining Ford, then they haven't got a clue.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 07:18

Players like Burns should be encouraged in the game but they generally arent and the game is less exciting because of it.
The game should legislate to make it more attractive and wider appealing as that is the best way to attract more fans which the game as a whole desperately needs, imv.

By the same token, coaches need to adopt this approach but when you see what styles of games reward you most, then safety first becomes your default style.
The old mantra of forwards wins you matches is the truth but it is that holds back the game? Where do most coaches come from, forward play so what do they really understand about comllex back play?

Having said that, throwing intercepts or dumb passes will never save you but to promote an adventurous game, then maybe you need to reward a fast running game over the big biff trucking game.

Promote the really skilful aspects, and demote size being the final arbiter.

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 07:35

Funny how we always know what FB is doing/thinking but never RP. Maybe that is part of the problem.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 07:58

John Tee I think that many of the new wave of 10s coming through have both - an exciting game without the brainfarts / 50:50 decisions. Iím thinking Simmons, Vunipola, Smith Umaga, Malins etc in that group.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 08:14

To me Freddie's style seems much more in the tradition of Bath 10s - Barnes, Catt, Barkley, James, Ford, whereas Priestland seems more suited to Northampton's heritage (Grayson, Tyler, Biggar). However, as a few have pointed out, Freddie has not played well for us consistently, while Priestland, for all his conservatism has seemed to be more uniform.

The irony in all this is that when Priestland was Biggar's understudy for Wales, it was he, rather than the first choice, who was the man to spark ball in hand attack - the go to option with Bigger being kick or bash up the middle.

Perhaps this reflects a general coaching trend as John Tee suggests - that coaches prefer the 10 who sticks to the game plan.

We all know though the devastating impact a maverick attacking 10 can have - so long for another Catt, Ford etc.

PG

Date: 01 April, 2020 08:22

I donít think that Ford is a maverick - he is just an awesome attacking 10 but seems to make very few obvious mistakes other than the odd kick.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 08:39

Quote:
BathMatt53
John Tee I think that many of the new wave of 10s coming through have both - an exciting game without the brainfarts / 50:50 decisions. Iím thinking Simmons, Vunipola, Smith Umaga, Malins etc in that group.

Maybe. but their game doesn't dominate the fundimental way their teams plays, especially in the case of the best two teams and i wouldn't hold our those teams as attractive.
Functional, efficient and successful, yes and that would please their current fans but will that bring more fans to the game, I dont think so, and that is the decision rugby as a sport will have to grapple with, imv.
If rugby cant increase its fan base, i think it is doomed to be a minority sport and wont survive in its current form.

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 08:54

I find it difficult to judge Burns given how little consistent game time he's had. Given what's happened this season, at least prior to Covid-19 i.e. the fact we couldnt be relegated I cant see whay we couldnt give him a consistent run of games. Unless of course, as it seems him and Hooper don't get on.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 08:59

Funny thing RP gets 72 minutes a week and is quite consistent, FB gets 8 minutes and isn't.

Bath lose badly, play badly and RP starts every time.

When I was playing/coaching a player played badly was often dropped and their sub given a chance. Clearly that doesn't seem to apply at Bath(Sm26)

Date: 01 April, 2020 09:04

Quote:
woodpecker
I find it difficult to judge Burns given how little consistent game time he's had. Given what's happened this season, at least prior to Covid-19 i.e. the fact we couldnt be relegated I cant see why we couldnt give him a consistent run of games. Unless of course, as it seems him and Hooper don't get on.

Why would he get a consistent run when RP was doing OK with Bath squeaking a few wins - certainly prior to the final run of very tough games (I'm not sure that even Freddie would have won us the game at Sandy Park). It also didn't help him that he is a decent 15 as well and Bath were a bit light in that position for most of the season.

Posted by: Dave248 (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 09:10

Freddie was immense at Tigers because he was playing consistently week in week out with the same group of players. Here at Bath heíl get the odd ten mins off the bench, a few starts here and there with different players. Criminally mismanaged. Go on Fred weíre 5 points down have five mins to win us the game. Baffles me beyond belief how anyone rates Priestland over Fred. Unless Bath can get a world class ten in we will struggle again next season

Date: 01 April, 2020 09:20

The top class coaches that he has worked with over the last few years - and there have been a few of them - appear pretty unanimous. They canít all have terrible judgement surely (much worse than ours obviously).

Date: 01 April, 2020 09:21

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
woodpecker
I find it difficult to judge Burns given how little consistent game time he's had. Given what's happened this season, at least prior to Covid-19 i.e. the fact we couldnt be relegated I cant see why we couldnt give him a consistent run of games. Unless of course, as it seems him and Hooper don't get on.

Why would he get a consistent run when RP was doing OK with Bath squeaking a few wins - certainly prior to the final run of very tough games (I'm not sure that even Freddie would have won us the game at Sandy Park). It also didn't help him that he is a decent 15 as well and Bath were a bit light in that position for most of the season.

I guess because RP has never done better than 'OK', we have two tens and the one we never play has at least in the past in with other rugby clubs, been better than 'OK'.

I'm not saying that he is brilliant and RP is rubbish, but what's the point of paying two 10s and never letting one of them play, particularly in a dead rubber season.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 09:23

Perhaps we should stay with Burns, except the Billy version as opposed to Freddie!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 09:24

I don't think it (should) work like that though. People seem to have an attachment to Freddie, I guess because he's a local boy, so take that aspect out and just consider the general situation. We've got an incumbent player in some position, playing ok, not great and a challenger who has potential to be as good, possibly better, but has played his way into second place (for all those that say Freddie was NEVER given a chance, this is how I remember it. Initially, they both were given fairly even chances, Freddie was erratic, Rhys less so. After all Freddie has played nearly 3300min for us, 67 games of which he started 39. That's not a small amount of rugby for 3 years).

It seems perfectly reasonable to start the incumbent and give the challenger 10 mins to show something that demands a consistent run of games to get into the team.

Date: 01 April, 2020 09:33

I do understand that if the idea is to try to get the basics right and build on that, then having the more predictable player makes sense, but still.

At the end of the day, both sides are not happy so he moves on. I'm not going to cry about it.

Current Page: 2 of 18
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net