Current Page: 1 of 4
Eddie Jones has signed a new England contract
Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 01 April, 2020 22:32

Eddie is on course to take us through to the 2023 Rugby world cup.

So more guessing who will be in the back row out of position, I wonder if Ben Youngs will still be at 9?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2020 10:03 by shipwrecked.

Re: Eddie Jones likely to sign a new England contract
Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 00:19

Of course he will with Tuilagi playing 8 minutes each game!

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 07:54

really really hope that is an April fool gag.

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 08:36

May or may not prove to be a good idea for England, but none of the other big jobs is going to be coming his way right now, nor anyone with anything like the RFU’s budget

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 08:51

Not massively enthusiastic, but also doesn't feel like the right time to start over.

Re: Eddie Jones has signed a new England contract
Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 13:15

People often forget that Clive Woodward said judge me on the World Cup..............the 1999 WC where we lost to Jannie de Beer's drop goals in Paris.

He was of course given another chance and Jonnie's (rather than Jannie's) drop goal delivered the WC in 2003

Date: 02 April, 2020 13:42

Eddie doubling down on his 'we want to be the greatest rugby team in history' bollox is a cracking start.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 13:50

Had really hoped it was one of the rare and uncontroversial, April 1st jokes

Date: 02 April, 2020 13:55

Point is though, as always, Opti, Gaz ..... who is better to replace him?

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 14:18

Quote:
shipwrecked

Stuart Hooper.

[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Posted by: woodpecker (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 14:21

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Stuart Hooper.

(Sm6)

Date: 02 April, 2020 14:45

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Stuart Hooper.

RFU could always be relied on to run off with our coaches. I just can't understand why that's not happening anymore.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 16:38

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
shipwrecked

Stuart Hooper.

RFU could always be relied on to run off with our coaches. I just can't understand why that's not happening anymore.

(Sm152)

Posted by: annie blackthorn (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 16:53

Think they have missed a brilliant opportunity there.

Eddie is sooooooooo last year!

Posted by: Bathovalballer (IP Logged)
Date: 02 April, 2020 23:06

Wonder what the present England squad would feel about the appointment of Mr Hooper as England Coach?

Personally, I think he would be ideally suited to the role. Not having any international experience either as a player or even any success as a coach at club level, and probably at a fraction of what the RFU are paying Eddie, sounds real good sense to me and a decision the blazers would easily make and no doubt justify. Especially as we could then appoint someone much better suited to the role at Bath.

I think it would create a few incredulous remarks and much hilarity in the headquarters of the other 6 Nations sides and around the World.

Ah well, we can always dream.......

Adopted player 2019/20 Jonathan 'JJ' Joseph.

The Jink Joseph.

Adopted player 2018/19 Adopted player 2018/19 Semesa 'The Rock' Rokoduguni

Posted by: sirtidychris (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 08:13

I think this is good news, honestly who are we going to get at the moment who is better ? we were looking on track to win another six nations with only one, loss, he has won another couple of six nations, got to a RWC final. Robinson, Johnson, Lancaster have been good old england coaches but hugley unsuccessful in comparison. The selection thing is frustrating with no proper number 8, and no succession planning at 9, but it is with every coach (lancaster/Burgess/Cipriani, Robinson /Jamie noon/Allen, Johnson/Cipriani/FLood/Borthwick etc etc) . TBH i thought Eddie Jones was selecting a team to win the six nations and get another contract now he has a contract I would hope to see a wee bit more player development.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 08:20

England has a very experienced side but I think that we do forget how young some of those guys still are. Then there are the new guys that he has brought into the squad even this 6N such as Stuart and Furbank. As said above the only real issues are alternatives at 9, 8 and possibly a big crashing 13 for Manu? With Alex Mitchell and maybe Dombrandt I’m not even sure that the first 2 are that concerning? Finding the ‘new Manu’ or learning to play in a different way with Daly, Marchant or Slade at 13 may be the harder one to crack?

[Actively seeking a new adoptee: until I'm assigned one I'm going for Joshua Matavesi]

Posted by: hemington (IP Logged)
Date: 03 April, 2020 10:28

Quote:
Bathovalballer
Wonder what the present England squad would feel about the appointment of Mr Hooper as England Coach?
Personally, I think he would be ideally suited to the role. Not having any international experience either as a player or even any success as a coach at club level, and probably at a fraction of what the RFU are paying Eddie, sounds real good sense to me and a decision the blazers would easily make and no doubt justify. Especially as we could then appoint someone much better suited to the role at Bath.

I think it would create a few incredulous remarks and much hilarity in the headquarters of the other 6 Nations sides and around the World.

Ah well, we can always dream.......

Yawn. Groundhog Day.

Date: 03 April, 2020 10:52

I have high hopes for Marchant on his return Matt.

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 16:55

Eddie indicating ongoing changes and development towards RWC 2023

"Eddie Jones has told England to expect a radical overhaul before the next Rugby World Cup despite reaching the final in Japan in November.

England fielded the youngest side in a World Cup final when they were were beaten 32-12 by South Africa.

However, the likes of current senior players such as captain Owen Farrell, Mako Vunipola, Jamie George and Jonny May will be into their 30s by the time of the 2023 edition in France swings around, with powerhouse forward Courtney Lawes and scrum-half Ben Youngs both having turned 34.

But rising stars such as Saracens back-row Ben Earl and Harlequins wing Gabriel Ibitoye will still be in their mid-20s.

Jones, who took over as England coach after their first-round exit at the 2015 World Cup, was unafraid to discard senior players in the run-up to last year's global showpiece in Japan, with the 60-year-old Australian ditching several veterans including former captain Chris Robshaw, scrum-half Danny Care and hooker Dylan Hartley, who had been captain and then co-skipper with Farrell.

Jones told the BBC on Monday the 2023 squad could feature a difference of as much as a 60 percent difference in personnel compared to the one he selected for Japan.

"I don't think this group can have another World Cup in them," said Jones, who signed a two-year extension to his contract last week to take him up to the end of the World Cup in France.

"While there will be core members of the team who will be able to continue to the next World Cup, there will be a new influx of members coming in."

Jones added he had begun the process of change during the recent Six Nations, which is suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

England topped the table on 13 points, ahead of France on points difference with a game to play, when the tournament was halted.

"If you look at the squad this year we have changed it by 20 percent," said Jones.

"There will be another 20 percent change in the second year, and another 20 percent in the third year. That's how you get the growth in the team."

Jones, in charge of Australia when they lost the 2003 World Cup final to England, said the goal was to discover new talent and provide competition for those who are current first choices.

"You have to continually look for better players and players who can add value to the team," he said.

"We were the youngest team ever to play in a World Cup final, so if those players have the desire and want to keep working and improving then we are going to be in a good position because we are going to have a hell of a competition for spots."

© 2020 AFP

Pretty straightforward declaration of intent, and to be honest, would any of us think otherwise?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2020 16:55 by Bod.

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net