New half backs, What would you do?
Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 13:01

I got excited when I saw the the headline... then read the article, got me thinking.

[www.ruck.co.uk]

Finn Russell is such a great attacking Fly Half, I'd love to see him in BB&W but persuading him to leave France is likely to be very expensive. After his comments in the local paper it seems like we will need a replacement for Freddie Burns. Is there any news/gossip about future signings at 10? Who would you like to see come to the Rec? With Francois Louw retiring would you bring in a Fly half as a marquee player, bring in another position as marquee or promote an existing player to marquee?

If Bath sign Ben Spencer is signed and Chris Cook leaves, what will happen to Will Chudley? new contract or sign a replacement?

Re: New half backs, What would you do?
Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 13:10

I quite like the idea of finn, no idea what it would take to make him sign. It would give us what we should be looking for at 10 (and other positions:

- 26-29 yo international quality incumbent.
- aging but solid cover (Rhys)
- young tyro to learn from then inherit incumbent role in 3-5 years (TDG).

Sounds to me like a great production line.

My big issue is we seem to get so little from our quality players that I'm not sure it matters?

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 13:37

Depends how good you are at predicting roles for players!

There are probably only about 6 10's who would be acceptable to Bath. We have to think that the 50:22 will change the game, so whilst we would love to see the ball being taken flat with 12 and 13 eager to punch though the middle won't it go more from the 10's boot depending on where we are on the pitch. Who is good at that?

I wonder how much previous knowledge there was of the 50:22 rule change, perhaps Stuart Hooper planned this all along?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Date: 05 April, 2020 13:49

Absolutely shipwrecked, Rule changes add to the difficulties of recruitment. I suppose you have to rely on the players being able to adapt to a certain extent.

Posted by: dannyf2 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 14:19

With the current financial situation we should be happy to keep what we've got. Really hoping the Spencer deal goes through

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 18:23

Bepetas, welcome as I think you are a new poster.

Not wishing to being picky or pedantic but there are a number of really important restrictions on who is allowed to be a marquee player,. The principal one, cannot have played in the Premiership for your club or any other at any time, means that you are effectively always looking abroad, including Wales, Scotland and Ireland, for your marquee player.

So Finn Russell would be spot on in so many ways!!

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 18:45

Quote:
Bath Supporter Jack
Bepetas, welcome as I think you are a new poster.
Not wishing to being picky or pedantic but there are a number of really important restrictions on who is allowed to be a marquee player,. The principal one, cannot have played in the Premiership for your club or any other at any time, means that you are effectively always looking abroad, including Wales, Scotland and Ireland, for your marquee player.

So Finn Russell would be spot on in so many ways!!

Bepetas isnít new! Now that the clubs can have two marquees one is allowed to have been at your club IIRC.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Date: 05 April, 2020 18:59

Is it true one of the marquee players can have come through the teams academy? I thought I read somewhere that Will Skelton and Owen Farrell were saracens Marquee players.

Posted by: dcsh (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 20:00

[d2cx26qpfwuhvu.cloudfront.net]

(c) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as their first Excluded Player who:
(i) has been a Player of the Club for at least two full Salary Cap Years prior to the Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year, other than a Player who (A) qualifies under Regulation 3.3(c)(i) or (cool smiley has only been a Player of a Club during the previous Salary Cap Year as a replacement for an Injured Player following dispensation under Regulation 5; or
(iii) has been a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.

(d) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as a second Excluded Player who:
(i) has not been a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year; or
(ii) was that Clubís second Excluded Player in the previous Salary Cap Year.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 21:10

Please ignore my last post........wrong on so many levels!

Bepetas is a serial poster who is on 'ere the whole time, and, everyone now knows that I am mainly talking bollocks(Sm128)

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 05 April, 2020 23:15

In answer to the question ... cry with happiness?? Though, some lockdown-induced boredom had me looking at the Bath team that finished top in 2004 (and lost to Wasps In the play-off final) .... Wood and Malone. Top half-backs clearly not the key to success in those days!

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 06 April, 2020 07:38

I recall 2003/2004 as a bit of an outlier though. Most of the premiership was away with the world cup and we'd just signed a set of just not quite (at the time) world cup standard players. My memory is that we faded a bit as players returned. I think we played pretty indifferently (poorly if honest) the seasons either side?

We also had ob1 either playing at 10 or offering a creative option from 12.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net