Current Page: 1 of 4
Pichot Launches Bid to become World Rugby Chairman
Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2020 15:11

[www.bbc.co.uk] - Beeb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 15:11 by Mike the Taxi.

Re: Pichot Launches Bid to become World Rugby Chairman
Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 April, 2020 18:50

I'd definitely vote Pichot

Not the old fudgers from the closed shop

Date: 14 April, 2020 11:35

SCW back Pichot

"Should Pichot succeed with his attempt to oust Sir Bill from the top job, he will become the first World Rugby chairman from outside Europe's Six Nations"

If for no other reason than breaking the Buggins' turn hegemony I truly hope Gus lands the position.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 11:43

OK, so what does he offer then thats different, I like the idea of someone outside the 6 nations getting it but the alternative has to be viable. Not that I can influence who gets it!

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 11:53

Pichot was behind the world league. None of his ideas have come close to benefiting Island or Emerging nations. I'm all for getting fresh blood into leadership roles, but Pichot is not exactly superb on this.

Date: 14 April, 2020 12:13

Quote:
hasta
Pichot was behind the world league. None of his ideas have come close to benefiting Island or Emerging nations. I'm all for getting fresh blood into leadership roles, but Pichot is not exactly superb on this.

Perhaps, however, the track record of 6Ns not only refusing to benefit PI / Emerging nations, but blatantly plundering and exploiting their talent makes me thing Gus is the best of a bad bunch. He is still looking at a World League with promotion and relegation.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 12:21

He sounds a bit like our Bruce!

Almost change for change sake, to coincide with his personal beliefs/interests.

Adopted Player:
[18] - Taulupe Faletau

Date: 14 April, 2020 12:29

Perhaps that's the attitude of the "Ancién Regime" Bear - but where will the money come from to develop the game across the constituencies that World Rugby are targeting - we know 6Ns won't put their hands in their ringfenced, selfish, TV Coverage addicted, greedy pockets.

Posted by: hasta (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 13:13

Quote:
Bod
Quote:
hasta

Perhaps, however, the track record of 6Ns not only refusing to benefit PI / Emerging nations, but blatantly plundering and exploiting their talent makes me thing Gus is the best of a bad bunch. He is still looking at a World League with promotion and relegation.

Not just 6Ns on that Bod, SANZAAR have a rubbish record too. Argentina/SA may have a better record on talent but not at all on funding/touring etc.

The World League idea is a mess imo.

Posted by: The Bear (IP Logged)
Date: 14 April, 2020 16:15

Quote:
Bod
Perhaps that's the attitude of the "Ancién Regime" Bear - but where will the money come from to develop the game across the constituencies that World Rugby are targeting - we know 6Ns won't put their hands in their ringfenced, selfish, TV Coverage addicted, greedy pockets.

Not sure this 'creative destruction' would result in a more equitable situation. Far more likely, the powerful with their resources secure a better deal and the weaker have to accept less.

Not only does the new Heineken RCC look a lot like the old Heineken Cup, it hasn't exactly supported Italian teams.

I don't have the solution but I'd wager Pichot doesn't either winking smiley

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 08:27

Change for changes sake.
If someone came through who said they'd help tier 2 develop and be able to keep their players then ok, but NONE the big nations want that as it would erode their artificial player pool.

I can see why they do it though, to counter NZ's advantage with islanders emigrating to NZ.

Date: 15 April, 2020 08:53

Quote:
John Tee
Change for changes sake.
If someone came through who said they'd help tier 2 develop and be able to keep their players then ok, but NONE the big nations want that as it would erode their artificial player pool.

I can see why they do it though, to counter NZ's advantage with islanders emigrating to NZ.

???

A ) How many players registered in England paying their subscriptions and funding RFU and their talent development programmes?

B )How many in S.Africa?

C)How many in Ireland?

D)How many in NZ?

E)How many in Sri Lanka?

F)How many in Australia?

G)How many in Wales?

H)How many in Scotland?

A)1,990,988

B ) 651,146

C ) 153,080

D) 146,893

E) 103,325

F) 86,952

G) 50,557

H )38,500

Data Reference Here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2020 08:56 by Bod.

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 15 April, 2020 11:32

I like 5 of his 6 point plan. I strongly disagree with the "an annual tournament featuring 12 to 14 Tests per nation per year". An international tournament without the Pacific Islands would be a disgrace.

Date: 15 April, 2020 11:40

No bail outs for SANZAR

"World Rugby vice-chairman Agustin Pichot said the governing body won’t bail out SANZAAR nations that are struggling financially due to Covid-19.

Pichot said the four leading southern hemisphere countries – Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa – must work in tandem to emerge from the crisis, and used the example of Rugby Australia collapsing financially and sparking an international domino impact.

If the Pumas, Wallabies, All Blacks and Springboks play no rugby in 2020 it would create a combined financial deficit of about £400 million, Pichot estimated, something World Rugby couldn’t hope to cover.

It made the battle to put a stop to Covid-19 critical for the sport in the southern hemisphere whose unions must remain unified according to former Argentina scrum-half and captain.

“Because if Australia falls, then it hits straight to New Zealand first, then it will hit South Africa and Argentina. So we all fall,” said Pichot on Sky Sport New Zealand’s The Breakdown programme.

“There’s no individual way. The first issue we need to address is coronavirus and mitigate it.

“It’s not about World Rugby giving handouts, because there’s no handout possible. World Rugby does not have the 400 million pounds.”

Pichot said rugby’s enforced break should cause SANZAAR to do assessments on the ongoing profitability and viability of its competitions, even in the short term.

He also feels the time is right to assess the value of introducing Japan and Fiji to a new-look Rugby Championship.

Pichot suggested Super Rugby’s entire blueprint could be addressed, and said he wondered if the Buenos Aires-based Jaguares can afford to remain in that tournament if international travel becomes prohibitive.

“Maybe you find out that that competition cannot be played because it is not profitable or is too much of a burden,” he added.

“Even in Argentina, can we really afford to carry on Super Rugby with the Jaguares having to pay for the trips all round the world?

“Maybe we have to fold Jaguares and look for other alternatives.”

Pichot announced at the weekend that he will challenge Sir Bill Beaumont of England for the World Rugby chairmanship and the Argentinian is set to garner support from the southern hemisphere nations.

Beaumont has pledged a major review of World Rugby to transform it into a voice for all countries, not just the traditional powers of the sport, and wants to revisit a global season competition structure that failed to take off last year.

Pichot, the underdog when votes are tallied on April 26, has staked his bid on a modern, more inclusive game that incorporates private investment and gives emerging nations more power.

“In the last year or year and half, I’ve been challenging the system from the inside, but I couldn’t get traction,” he said.

“I thought the establishment was pushing me out a little bit, to be honest.”

His last comment sums up a great deal about the avarice and selfservative nature of this at the top of the tree.
These are not values I respect or wish to be associated with Rugby.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2020 12:02 by Bod.

Date: 16 April, 2020 09:57

So, the political machinations are less than discrete

A view from the "sticks"

"The manifestoes of Sir Bill Beaumont and Agustin Pichot in their bids to be chairman of World Rugby are in, and now the people must decide. Those people are the 51 members of the global body’s council and they include Dennis Dwyer, a lawyer and lifelong rugby man who is “semi-retired” from a legal practice in Bermuda.

You may not have heard of Dwyer but he chairs a group of six huge regional associations comprising around 100 rugby-playing countries and he will vote for either Beaumont or Pichot on behalf of one of those regions: Rugby Americas North (RAN), the grouping of the USA and Canada (who have an extra vote each), Mexico and 17 other countries in and around the Caribbean.

Dwyer, originally from Yorkshire, has lived and refereed and administered rugby in Bermuda for 40 years, although he is currently subject to the Covid-19 lockdown at his other home in Shropshire. While there are rumours in some quarters of block voting – the Six Nations for Beaumont, the Southern Hemisphere’s big four for Pichot – he says this election must be an open discussion of the two personalities and the way World Rugby shapes the sport, at grassroots and professional level.

“I’m looking at how rugby is going to be in the next 10 or 20 years; the players, and the laws, and the spectators,” Dwyer tells i. “You have got Bill, the ambassador, the elder statesman, who has been an excellent chairman in my opinion, who will deal with it in a certain way. And you’ve got Gus, who wants to do exactly the same but probably a little quicker. Gus is ambitious, eager, and in meetings he goes at 100 miles an hour. He wants it done, and done now....."

Aussie to back Pichot

"Argentina will not bid to host the 2027 Rugby World Cup to give Australia a free run as the southern hemisphere candidate, according to reports.

The Argentine government announced in 2016 that the country would bid to bring the tournament to South America for the first time, but Sydney's Daily Telegraph quoted World Rugby vice-chairman Agustin Pichot as saying that was no longer the case.

"We discussed it with Australia and we thought it was not good for us to compete against our partner," said Argentine Pichot..............."

Fiji to back BB/ Laporte ticket?

"The election for World Rugby's next chairman has taken a murky turn after it emerged that Fiji's Francis Kean, who was convicted of manslaughter after killing a man in 2006, has been backed by the powerful French union for a place on the governing body's powerful Executive Committee.

World Rugby announced on Wednesday, NZ Time, that Kean, who is also Fiji Prime Minister's Frank Bainimarama's brother-in-law, was nominated by the Fiji Rugby Union for the position but "seconded by the Fédération Française de Rugby......"

(Sm163)

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 12:28

An interesting article in The Times today Bod, reflecting the last paragraph of your Dwyer quote - That they both want the same thing but at different pace.

Much as I like Gus & his vision, I think his approach carries 2 risks:

1. A hasty attempt at "revolution" could pit rich Unions against poor, which IMHO will only make the situation for the Tier 2 nations (and poorer traditional nations) worse.

2. The other, more disturbing development is the "deal" you report he has struck with Australia. They will act only in their own narrow interest as the 4th winter game nationally, not for the good of the global game. Many of the worst law changes of recent years have been driven by them, leading to a much less open and exciting game at professional and international level - also a more dangerous one for player welfare.

PG

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 13:36

Quote:
Bod
Quote:
John Tee
Change for changes sake.

???

A ) How many players registered in England paying their subscriptions and funding RFU and their talent development programmes?

B )How many in S.Africa?

C)How many in Ireland?

D)How many in NZ?

E)How many in Sri Lanka?

F)How many in Australia?

G)How many in Wales?

H)How many in Scotland?

A)1,990,988

B ) 651,146

C ) 153,080

D) 146,893

E) 103,325

F) 86,952

G) 50,557

H )38,500

Data Reference Here

Players registered, sure. Doesnt deal with ways that teams might import a talent through grannygate, residency or how the NZ traditionally get a load of islanders....which is the islanders families moving to NZ at a young age, according to NZ whdn questioned about this.
The only way to deal with this then....should you want to...is that country of birth is the sole qualifier but i doubt the top nations even want that. Net result is that poorer counties get plundered. imv

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 14:42

Quote:
Bod
The only way to deal with this then....should you want to...is that country of birth is the sole qualifier but i doubt the top nations even want that. Net result is that poorer counties get plundered. imv

Country of birth might protect some of the Pacific Island nations but it could penalise players in those nations more integrated into the global economy - Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Many UK players of genuine English/Welsh/Scots ancestry would be disqualified- e.g. Simon Shaw, Will Carling. Rory Underwood to state a few.

Surely better to distinguish by first registered citizenship/passport?

PG

Posted by: SimonG19 (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 15:24

Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
Bod

Country of birth might protect some of the Pacific Island nations but it could penalise players in those nations more integrated into the global economy - Northern and Southern Hemispheres. Many UK players of genuine English/Welsh/Scots ancestry would be disqualified- e.g. Simon Shaw, Will Carling. Rory Underwood to state a few.

Surely better to distinguish by first registered citizenship/passport?

PG

Country of birth would decimate some of the Pacific Islands. For instance in the 2012 RWC (the last one I have records for) Samoa had fifteen players born in NZ in their squad. NZ had three players born in Samoa.

It suits a lot of peoples agendas to believe movement is all one way but the facts are very different.

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 16 April, 2020 21:20

Quote:
P G Tips
2. The other, more disturbing development is the "deal" you report he has struck with Australia. They will act only in their own narrow interest as the 4th winter game nationally, not for the good of the global game. Many of the worst law changes of recent years have been driven by them, leading to a much less open and exciting game at professional and international level - also a more dangerous one for player welfare.
PG

I am struggling to think of even one national union that has not voted entirely in their own interest over the years.

It depends what we want. Beaumont will give us the status quo ante plus a few committees of ill-defined scope and Pichot will give us change. Given the current circumstances, I think change is the best way to go cos we cannot go on the way we are. As it is, I think we'll see salaries being slashed and semi-pro rugby for almost all the top national leagues. There just is not the money in the game (and hasn't been for a while).

At the very least, I would expect many fewer ex-pat or "project" players which might help address the issue of players passports.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Current Page: 1 of 4
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net