Current Page: 1 of 3
These Five Guys Were Unlucky
Posted by: Comeonmylovers.co.uk (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 09:09

What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2020 13:27 by P G Tips.

Re: These Five Guys Were Unlucky
Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 11:27

John Palmer was the best fly half England never had

The Rodney Marsh of English rugby. Supremely, naturally gifted and sadly massively overlooked

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 11:40

PG as I started reading above I thought I am going to put in Andy Beattie because I bet most people won't think of him so imagine my delight when I got to the end!!!

Also a really, really nice bloke!thumbs down

Posted by: P G Tips (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 11:42

Quote:
gaz59
The Rodney Marsh of English rugby. Supremely, naturally gifted and sadly massively overlooked

Although he did get a couple of caps as a centre - on an ill-fated tour of SA. That was an era when England's selectors were in a real muddle.

PG

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 12:04

Quote:
P G Tips
Quote:
gaz59

Although he did get a couple of caps as a centre - on an ill-fated tour of SA. That was an era when England's selectors were in a real muddle.

PG

Did they ever get out of that muddle PG?

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Kaapstad (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 14:18

'Guys"

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 14:46

.weren't named Mo

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 14:57

Paul Simpson comes to mind - him and Spurrell were an indomitable double act, although Simmo got a couple of caps if I recall correctly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2020 14:58 by Bod.

Date: 12 May, 2020 15:17

Yes Bod- he got 3 1983-1987.

PG

Posted by: Bod (IP Logged)
Date: 12 May, 2020 15:25

Graham Dawe as well PGT
How many times did Moore go missing for the club encounters (probably for perceived health reasons)?

(Sm3)

Date: 12 May, 2020 16:33

Agreed Bod- but the main premise was those who did not get a cap they deserved.

Graham did at least get to play a few full internationals, including a World Cup.

PG

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 10:03

Quote:
Bod
Graham Dawe as well PGT
How many times did Moore go missing for the club encounters (probably for perceived health reasons)?

(Sm3)

At a wild guess, i'd probably say zero times, apart from in the apocryphal rememberings of partisan Bath fans. Moore was as much a part of England going from national embarrassment in 1987 to within-a-Campese-deliberate knock-on of World Champions in 1991, as anyone. A genuine prototype for the modern hooker.

Date: 13 May, 2020 11:04

Fair point Opti.

Moore epitomised the spirit of that England team- especially it's pack.

Dawe was actually in a 3 way fight for the England shirt as John Olver of Quins had his moments in the early 90s. Where his luck failed him I believe was bearing some of the blame for the battle of Cardiff in 1987. Moore took his chance and Dawe then had to play catch up at international level.

PG

Posted by: Pop stand fan (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 12:02

Bob Orledge, played 171 times for Bath but never for England despite playing in 5 England trials and travelling as a reserve 8 times.
Ian Duckworth a trialist who missed the call to play for England because he was climbing a mountain.
Simon Jones and Gerry Parsons, also trialists who probably came within an injury of playing for England.

Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 12:06

Maybe not a player that "if only X, Y or Z weren't around" or the coach just didn't like the look of your face, bu tTom Dunn must have been as close to a cap as its possible and not get one: 80min on the bench as a hooker these days then the 6N game against Italy (surely in that game?) cancelled due to a virus.

Posted by: CoochieCoo (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 12:08

Comment from Dave Egerton on our FB page

Quote:
Dave Egerton
I dont like to label players as hard or not , but Roger redefined the meaning . His ability to lead ( along with Jack of course ) was the only reason Bath are in the top flight today.

https://pbflaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mToRbTHGUTg0zWMi8LNeOlOmx4tZHsH3crYbASv0X_qWBw8j30S9KV-RiZIf_AWoOZXD7D3Rjy1tYRAKXykpZSHuOObVQBiovPpB6PnDUuBM6xlx2F1yOjKpEBmWUfMru3SCm255j3p-CnndC7J9ZUG29r1BtfFWHHj-MdzDOpzBuTRTPqNaco8ctf1svZyW0?width=106&height=160&cropmode=none
https://pbfkaa.by.files.1drv.com/y4mhxY1k8zrLn92LwcIYgSd1KcA6zBGX-Wgw2dNz8Us0xA71EhjMmL2tc-ggx7OlsBDECw8eAZ_oAWnNyh5doimzOEics5H87cuh5Q-Sb-ViPD6Pt6QUBneu5F2tlWLltGQZ8pd5qFmsZwbKB39L5Dki21gJfnsiaxLiCiuWPCZUjkXp4EttajzFAgcCl6YuDDF?width=160&height=107&cropmode=none

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 13:52

That's a serious endorsement!

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 14:02

Quote:
CoochieCoo
Comment from Dave Egerton on our FB page
Quote:
Dave Egerton
I dont like to label players as hard or not , but Roger redefined the meaning . His ability to lead ( along with Jack of course ) was the only reason Bath are in the top flight today.

My recollection, which is always hazy at best is that there were strong suggestions around at the time that there was significant medical assistance in his leadership qualities which didn't play well with the RFU top brass.

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 22:38

I think Nick Abendanon is worth a mention. It was a joy watching him play in BB&W.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 13 May, 2020 22:51

Quote:
Bepetas
I think Nick Abendanon is worth a mention. It was a joy watching him play in BB&W.

Apart from that he got 2 caps in 2007:

- 11 Aug 2007: Home vs France
- 02 Jun 2007: away vs South Africa

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Current Page: 1 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net