Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: These Five Guys Were Unlucky
Posted by: DanWiley (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 07:52

Yeah, sadly I've got a vague memory of him being run over by chebal and the writing already being in the wall.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 08:37

Quote:
DanWiley
Yeah, sadly I've got a vague memory of him being run over by chebal and the writing already being in the wall.

I don't know if you have seen any of his games in France but he has made some pretty impressive last ditch tackles over there.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Posted by: Bepetas (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 09:46

Quote:
BathMatt53
Quote:
Bepetas
I think Nick Abendanon is worth a mention. It was a joy watching him play in BB&W.

Apart from that he got 2 caps in 2007:

- 11 Aug 2007: Home vs France
- 02 Jun 2007: away vs South Africa

Despite his two caps, in my opinion, Nick Abendanon didn't get the international recognition his talent deserved. Hence worth a mention rather than should be one of the unlucky five.

Interesting comments from Mike Umaga [www.ruck.co.uk] about the size of players. It is crazy if players like Nick Abendanon and James Simpson-Daniel are deemed too small and their attacking skills are ignored. Both Nick Abendanon and James Simpson-Daniel are about the same size as Christian Cullen who has to be one of, if not the, best fullback to play the game.

Posted by: BathMatt53 (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 10:10

Quote:
Bepetas
Despite his two caps, in my opinion, Nick Abendanon didn't get the international recognition his talent deserved. Hence worth a mention rather than should be one of the unlucky five.

Yes, big long list of some very talented players with only a small handful of caps, such as our very own Roko.

[Adoptee 19 / 20: The High ball and counter attack meister, Tom Homer]

Posted by: Optimist (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 11:44

Quote:
Bepetas
Interesting comments from Mike Umaga [www.ruck.co.uk] about the size of players. It is crazy if players like Nick Abendanon and James Simpson-Daniel are deemed too small and their attacking skills are ignored. Both Nick Abendanon and James Simpson-Daniel are about the same size as Christian Cullen who has to be one of, if not the, best fullback to play the game.

... and yet there they are - 3 small, skilful guys who all played international rugby. JS-D was plagued by injury - which could well have been an outcome of being relatively small? Of course, smaller players have to have exceptional skills to compensate against the big guys - but that is why smaller players don't always make it through - because very few have absolutely 'exceptional' skills - and if they do, they'll get noticed eventually. Of course there are a few narrow-minded coaches out there, but for every narrow-minded one there are progressive ones in droves.

Date: 14 May, 2020 11:49

Cheslin Kolbe seems to be doing OK.

Posted by: shipwrecked (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 12:32

As did Shane Williams.

https://i.ibb.co/gjWyP09/Unknown-1-2.jpg

Beno Obano Age 25 years, Loosehead prop, 5ft 8ins 18st 12lbs 'Mauls are like Transformers' they change form to become more powerful!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2020 12:33 by shipwrecked.

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 14:52

...and Jonny Wilkinson. He got 'cloths lined' by a large SA player, and came back with a determination to tackle!

Posted by: Rinkadink (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:23

A forward thinking coach should be looking at those smaller players who can get really low to the ground right now; they present great problems for bigger men who are unable to adjust without conceding yards. See Thacker at Bristol and Kolbe at the world cup amongst many others.

Posted by: Old Bath Tub (IP Logged)
Date: 14 May, 2020 18:28

And Jason Robinson !

Adopted Player 2018/19 Ross Batty
Adopted Player 2019/20 Jack Davies

"AN OUNCE OF ACTION IS WORTH A TON OF THEORY"
FRIEDRICH ENGELS

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 15 May, 2020 06:16

Also contained in that Mike Umaga interview was a reference to the physical disadvantages suffered by players born at the end of the academic year. A creative recruitment strategy would recognize an opportunity there.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Date: 15 May, 2020 07:23

Some countries have 2-year age groups I think, like some of the girls rugby in England. That must make the difference even more marked.

Posted by: John Tee (IP Logged)
Date: 18 May, 2020 14:23

Quote:
Optimist
Quote:
Bod
Graham Dawe as well PGT
How many times did Moore go missing for the club encounters (probably for perceived health reasons)?

(Sm3)

At a wild guess, i'd probably say zero times, apart from in the apocryphal rememberings of partisan Bath fans. Moore was as much a part of England going from national embarrassment in 1987 to within-a-Campese-deliberate knock-on of World Champions in 1991, as anyone. A genuine prototype for the modern hooker.

I dont know your player that could have been in the frame but England fans loved Moore, iirc, especially his French wind-ups, which always seemed to work..lol.

So to get past Moore, he would have been some player...

Posted by: A different view (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 06:53

Adam Vander - suffered a horrible foot injury playing for England A (against France?) which ended his professional career just as he was starting to get wider recognition. A lovely guy, too.

Posted by: Bath Supporter Jack (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 10:33

Yes A different View I forgot about him.

As I recall a hybrid of Flouw and Sam, and maybe better hands than either of them........as I recall.

Does anyone know what he is doing now?

Posted by: Mike the Taxi (IP Logged)
Date: 23 May, 2020 14:44

[www.theargus.co.uk] - Haywards Heath 2009

[en.espn.co.uk] - seems to have gone quiet

Posted by: cb2 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 12:02

For a club with such a history, our international greats are few and far between. Guscott apart, and not including those like Evans and Robinson, who would have a claim for a place in the best of British International side of the past 40 years? Watson might in a few years.

Posted by: gaz59 (IP Logged)
Date: 25 May, 2020 13:55

Quote:
cb2
For a club with such a history, our international greats are few and far between. Guscott apart, and not including those like Evans and Robinson, who would have a claim for a place in the best of British International side of the past 40 years? Watson might in a few years.

In such a side any premiership club would be exceptionally lucky to have any more than 1 player surely and some won't have any

Posted by: joethefanatic (IP Logged)
Date: 26 May, 2020 07:14

Quote:
cb2

Ant is very good but "Best of British" of the last 40 years? I doubt it. Who do we have to look at? They'd have to be a Lion to even be considered so that gives us, since 1980, the following BBW players (some very fleeting)

Ieuan Evans
Gareth Chilcott
Jerry Guscott
Andy Robinson
Dave Egerton
Damian Cronin
Stuart Barnes
Ben Clarke
Richard Webster
Andy Reed
Richard Hill
Mark Regan
Mike Catt
Nigel Redman
Danny Grewcock
Iain Balshaw
Matt Perry
Jason Robinson
Gareth Cooper
Lewis Moody
Gavin Henson
Matt Stevens
Jamie Roberts
Lee Mears
Taulupe Faletau
Jonathan Joseph
Anthony Watson
Rhys Webb(!)

Of these, the three I would nominate as being in with a shout would be Stuart Barnes, Jason Robinson and Ben Clarke. But I don't think any of them would get a wider nod. Even from BBW aficionados.

... IMHO, of course.

Now in Honolulu

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2020 07:44 by joethefanatic.

Date: 26 May, 2020 07:19

Only Jason Robinson for me from that list.

Current Page: 2 of 3
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net